Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #1  

Question Weight loss question

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am a featherweight. I started my weight loss journey 3 weeks ago with 23 pounds to lose.

Before I started my journey, I was probably eating 5,000 calories a day - not kidding. It was out of control. I was having some type of pastry or bread for breakfast, sandwich, cookies, and chips for lunch, PB nabs for snack and I had my hand in the candy jar all day at work and at home. At night I was drinking 2-3 glasses of wine a night and indulging in snacks such as chips, chocolate, crackers and cheese... the list goes on. Several nights a week we were having snacky style foods like wings, poppers, potato skins etc... I was out of control.

Since I started my healthy lifestyle change - because I don't want to "diet", I want to be realistic. I've started thinking about food in a different way. I'm eating proper portion sizes, cut out all that excess snacking and wine drinking. I have 3 servings of protein, 4 or more servings of veggies, 2 servings of dairy, and 1 healthy fat serving per day. I have limited my wine to no more than 4 servings per week and I've doubled my water intake which still is not 64 oz a day but is an improvement. I have a weak bladder and I'm a teacher - so, bladder olympics is a regular part of my day and it is difficult to drink that much water in a day. I do not drink soda or tea anymore. I have 1 cup of coffee which I usually do not finish, and water all day.

My calorie count is right around 1,200 per day and my calorie burn is between 1,600 - 2,100 calories per day. I take work out 4 - 5 days per week using my fit board and light weights for 40 minutes and I take at least one 30 minute walk per day. I am also on my feet at work all day - walking and moving.

I lost 6 pounds my first week and I was thrilled! But in the last two weeks I have lost nothing (and actually gained a pound back). I've become frustrated and even a little depressed by this and cannot figure out why I'm not losing. I am also NOT feeling or seeing any difference in the way my clothes fit. As I know that sometimes the scale doesn't move but your body changes.
I know that 6 pounds is a lot to lose in one week and that is not my expectation. I thought I'd lose 4 - 5 the first week and maybe 1 - 2 after that. My goal is to lose 13 pounds by the last day of school (June 15th) and then the last 10 pounds by the first day of school at the end of August. I thought that was reasonable. But now I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on why I might not be losing weight?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Stayce413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #2  

Be sure to take measurements and you can use online calculators or calipers (very cheap) to track body fat %. There are months that I only lose 1 pound but 2% body fat. along your weight loss journey weight fluctuations will definitely happen due to water retention etc, if you are eating and exercising just trust that it is not fat and keep going.

What are you using to track calories? I use loseit

It is definitely a journey and congrats on the 6 lbs!
matinee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #3  

I am using my Fitbit to help track calories, steps, weight loss etc. I will start measuring this week on weigh in day. Thank you for the advice! I was starting to feel a little crazy lol.
Stayce413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #4  

good luck!
matinee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #5  
Nutritionally Obsessed

S/C/G: 130/118/under 120

Height: 5'5"

Check this out:
https://www.muscleforlife.com/not-losing-weight/

Good luck!
JenFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote