Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #16  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFZ09 View Post
Sugar-free gum and water are my "free foods." I'm trying to kick the gum habit so it's on weekends only. The artificial sweetener may not be healthy. Gum seems to be harder to give up compared to diet soda. The soda was easy to stop drinking.

Blueberries are awesome! All berries are good for you and are low calorie, and taste great
I feel weird sharing this, because my experience was negative, but, the fact is, I think it was rare: Have you tried any gums with the natural sweetener that actually is supposed to strengthen your teeth? It's called "xylitol" (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106347234, "A Pack a Day May Help Keep the Dentist Away").

My unusual experience was that I seemed to develop an allergy to it, but, as I said, that's probably fairly unique. I share your deep love for gum, so just trying to help you enjoy it still.

I discovered some sugary gum in my desk a few weeks ago (Bubble Yum). Once it's gone, it gone for good, but I'm really digging it - about once a week, because I forget it's there, lol - in the meantime!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 03-05-2015 at 08:04 AM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 145/140/115

Height: 5'3

I believe Trident has Xylitol in it, right? That's pretty much all I chew. I've never really had much of a gum addiction, though, myself. I'll chew it if it's there but won't seek it out.

Just discovered a new free food! Recently, I've been making myself a lot of yummy soups. Just boil water, add 2 teaspoons full of white miso for flavoring (about 20 calories), then baby spnach, napa cabbage, snap peas, whatever other veggies. Warm, filling, super low calorie!

You can also add tofu, if you'd like for protein, but I'm allergic.
omnomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #18  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnomgirl View Post
I believe Trident has Xylitol in it, right? That's pretty much all I chew. I've never really had much of a gum addiction, though, myself. I'll chew it if it's there but won't seek it out.

Just discovered a new free food! Recently, I've been making myself a lot of yummy soups. Just boil water, add 2 teaspoons full of white miso for flavoring (about 20 calories), then baby spnach, napa cabbage, snap peas, whatever other veggies. Warm, filling, super low calorie!

You can also add tofu, if you'd like for protein, but I'm allergic.
Thank you for that! And, in addition to all the magnificent antioxidants and stuff in the veggies, miso also has (goes to look it up, it's on the tip of my brain...) many health benefits:

"The 10 scientifically researched benefits of miso:

1. Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.

2. Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.

3. Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.

4. Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.

5. Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).

6. Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.

7. Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.

8. Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.

9. Strengthens the immune system and helps to lower LDL cholesterol.

10. Is high in antioxidants that protect against free radicals.
"

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-...#ixzz3Ux1POwcd

Last edited by HungerWerks; 03-20-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

everything counts for me sadly. i get my 1450 cals a day and thats it
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #20  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechyl View Post
everything counts for me sadly. i get my 1450 cals a day and thats it
That's what happened to me since I started this thread, Rechyl. Except on my up days, all calories count!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm not sure "free foods" is a mindset that works for me, but for the blueberry fans out there, I just wanted to mention frozen blueberries. Deeply yummy and you end up with an amusingly purple mouth.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 267/250/140

Height: 5-04

I am on the IP plan (Ideal Protein) and I am allowed to drink Powerade Zero-they come in Grape, Fruit Punch and Mixed Berry. I like to freeze it and blend it to a slushy form, and it tastes JUST like a snowball- I can have as much as I want, PLUS it counts towards my water!!!! Delicious!!!!!
AvasMommee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I hadn't even thought of electrolyte drinks as food! I drink them all the time, though more often in the form of salty water than Nuun tablets. I've got dysautonomia so I need a lot of salt.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #24  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Talking "Dickensian Gruel"

I have some foods in my house right now - dates and quinoa - that I don't want to use for calories on counting days, and don't want to take up space in my stomach on Free Days.

SO...I'm going to make one serving of each PER DAY a free food. That means one date a day or one serving of quinoa, which I bought thinking it would be delicious and fluff up like rice. NO. But it did cost some money and is good for me, so I'm going to benefit, dag nabbit, and have a serving a day (when I don't have a date, lol).

Today I was considering putting cinnamon on it and calling it "Cold Quinoa Gruel." That tells you how I feel about the stuff.

Here's an article about it you might find amusing: http://gothamist.com/2013/09/15/quin...ecause_its.php

Last edited by HungerWerks; 09-22-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

Hmm, "free foods".

I drink copious amounts of teas sweetened with stevia all day, and stevia flavored water. Man if it ever comes out that Stevia causes health deficits in 30 years, I am a goner for sure.

Sometimes I have a shot of fat free whipped cream at night for dessert and it feels satisfying.

Technically I don't count any calories, but I am somewhat aware of how much calories many of my foods have. I refuse to get into the numbers game, and the Dukan diet doesn't need it. Of course we will see when I get into the maintenance phases.

Oh man someone mentioned blueberries....I can eat those like a drug. When I was studying for my test I practically OD's on Ginko and blueberries/raspberries for antioxidants.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #26  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbysmall View Post
Hmm, "free foods".

I drink copious amounts of teas sweetened with stevia all day, and stevia flavored water. Man if it ever comes out that Stevia causes health deficits in 30 years, I am a goner for sure.

Sometimes I have a shot of fat free whipped cream at night for dessert and it feels satisfying.

Technically I don't count any calories, but I am somewhat aware of how much calories many of my foods have. I refuse to get into the numbers game, and the Dukan diet doesn't need it. Of course we will see when I get into the maintenance phases.

Oh man someone mentioned blueberries....I can eat those like a drug. When I was studying for my test I practically OD's on Ginko and blueberries/raspberries for antioxidants.
Same here with the stevia - that stuff's great!
Old 10-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Miso soup!
I like dark/red miso, and the dark "country miso" (inaka miso) I have right now is my favourite. So tasty! I keep chopped up leek in my freezer and like to put a small handful of that, a tiny pinch of dashi granules, and a liberal chunk of miso into a bowl, pour hot water on that - voila, it's a soup! Sometimes I add grated zucchini (zucchini "vegetti") to imitate noodles, for a tiny snack (about 50 calories) that feels like a meal. (and sometimes I do make it a meal, with steamed veggies, soba noodles, soft eggs... whatever I have. Yummy and so fast!)

Frozen berries. I especially like snacking on frozen gooseberries, 40 kcal for 100 grams and packed with vitamins. Paired with a cup of quality green tea, I see it as the ultimate hangover cure.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #28  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
Miso soup!
I like dark/red miso, and the dark "country miso" (inaka miso) I have right now is my favourite. So tasty! I keep chopped up leek in my freezer and like to put a small handful of that, a tiny pinch of dashi granules, and a liberal chunk of miso into a bowl, pour hot water on that - voila, it's a soup! Sometimes I add grated zucchini (zucchini "vegetti") to imitate noodles, for a tiny snack (about 50 calories) that feels like a meal. (and sometimes I do make it a meal, with steamed veggies, soba noodles, soft eggs... whatever I have. Yummy and so fast!)

Frozen berries. I especially like snacking on frozen gooseberries, 40 kcal for 100 grams and packed with vitamins. Paired with a cup of quality green tea, I see it as the ultimate hangover cure.
That miso soup sounds so good - and easy! I'll have to give it a whirl. Also, I've been having frozen blueberries for breakfast and frozen raspberries for dessert, both with 1/2 cup soy milk (only 40 calories for the milk). So satisfying!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 202/128/129

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I'd like to bump this thread for any new thoughts. I just found out today that the local grocery stores are no longer going to stock watermelon till next season. This really puts a big hole in my diet since I eat almost 2 per week. I need something that's delicious, nutritious, very filling and low in calories. I'm not big on veggies but love fruit. Daily I already consume bananas, apples, and strawberries. Any ideas?
dmnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

I eat loads of Galia melon, though I do count the calories in it, but at just 19 kcals/100 grams it's a mighty good deal, and it means I can eat LOADS of it. I also use tons of mustard and Cholula and don't count the calories. Blueberries are FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC at only 35 kcals/100 grams(according to Marks and Spencer's, where I buy them). I have them for dessert most nights, even while I'm maintaining rather than trying to reduce, 'cuz they're just so gorgeous to eat

Last edited by DLS1; 10-28-2016 at 02:45 PM.
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote