Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:39 AM   #76  
Get Fit Or Get Fatter

S/C/G: 160/132/121

Height: 5'7.5" (without my high bun)

tonimaroni2[/B]- The only motivation I have is when the scale is moving downwards. That is a good idea though. I do have a bikini I bought like 10 years ago that I have never worn. I guess it's time to break out the summer clothes box.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I did some reading on NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) and I'm totally hooked. It's basically all the small movements that you do throughout the day that add up to burn calories, including just sitting and standing. The studies I read, one from a very reliable medical journal said that increasing your NEAT can burn an additional 300 to 1000 calories per day. Are you kidding me!? Since reading this I've been moving nonstop, tapping my feet at my desk, waving my arms while going to the bathroom, everything. I'm just going to keep moving!

Thinking back I used to act like this when I was in college when I got so slim, I was always on the move but never exercised.... it was the little things! I was also working at a pizza place eating pizza for supper every night and still lost 30 lbs!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #78  
Get Fit Or Get Fatter

S/C/G: 160/132/121

Height: 5'7.5" (without my high bun)

Wow! Eating pizza and you still lost weight? That's amazing. I guess I can see this theory working because my bestie has A.D.H.D. (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and she is only about 10lbs heavier than when we where in high school. She is always eating and always moving.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 153/150/138

Height: 5' 2.5"

I read a book about N.E.A.T. by Dr. James Levine a few years ago - it was very interesting. Unfortunately for me, being figety doesn't come naturally. I can sit still for hours! The title of the book was called "Move a Little, Lose a Lot".

Weighed in this morning. At first I was delighted - the scale said 136.2! I thought yay, my watching what I ate the last few days has paid off! Then I stepped off and got on again. The reading was 138.8! Talk about popping my bubble! Boo! And I didn't even move the scale to a different spot on the floor.....
Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #80  
vix

That's really interesting tonimaroni! I read something similar about the little things you do each day as a matter of course, like walking up stairs, picking things up and carrying groceries etc - in an experiment they got a healthy group to continue exercising but to be especially lazy at other times, and they all put on weight after a few weeks!

I dropped a pound this week - wooo!! Only one more to go, but I have decided to keep trying to lose, so I am going to adjust my ticker when I get to 135. I think another 5lbs is doable. Then I have a little wiggle room when I first start maintaining.

Miss Fitt - you have a naughty scale there!!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #81  

Yeah, you'd think the scale would be a little more accurate, since I spent quite a bit of money on it! It's not cheap, but its talk is...
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #82  

Miss Fit - my scale does that all the time too!! When it starts to do it repeatedly I change the batteries.

Vix - I have moved the number on a my ticker a couple times also but I've still never got all the way there. Giving yourself a 5 lb maintenance cushion is a good idea.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #83  

I dug out my old bodybugg and renewed my subscription to help me stay more active. I'm using any little thing I can to stay on track! All the things that helped me in the past actually.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #84  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I had horrid week, or 10 days. I barely worked out and ate and drank... so I am above 140 ... But I refuse to post at the 140's thread!!! -- I am hoping this will be a brief visit to the 140's and I will be back soon. -- I really need to get closer to 135 that I would not have these up swings.

Toni I am totally addicted to my fitbit. -- It certainly does motivate one. I did not wear mine last week; I did not workout etc...and it shows
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #85  

Weighed in at 139.4 this morning. I guess I must try harder. I have a Fitbit, too. I've had it for 6 months now. Unfortunately, I haven't lost anything since getting it. It's probably because I always eat over my calorie allotment. Just the other night, be were out for a family walk and my son was walking behind me. I was talking about the Fitbit, and he piped up and said "Obviously, it's not working." Kids, brutally honest.....but, he's right.
Yes, maybe I should change the batteries in the scale. When I first stepped on it this morning, it said 143 - I flipped! I also refuse to join in the 140's thread! I'm dangerously close.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #86  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Back from the Swiss Alps. Had a fabulous time, ate reasonable amounts of delicious food. Walked and hiked over 90 miles in 9 days, woohoo! I see and feel changes in my body- several people have commented as well that they think I've slimmed down a bit since June. I feel it in my clothing too.

The scale hasn't budged an inch though. I'm slightly mystified by this, but honestly I'd rather celebrate my slimmer, fitter body than a number on the scale. So here's to an awesome July for all of the Featherweights- let's get to it ladies!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #87  

Loves to travel - 90 miles in 9 days, that's amazing!! You should feel so good! I've heard that a drastic increase in physical activity can increase your blood volume and it takes a few weeks to level off so that might account for the scale not budging?? Unless you were just as active before.

I'm also refusing to go to the 140's thread, hoping my numbers will drop again after TOM.

Last edited by tonimaroni2; 07-03-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #88  
vix

Wow Loves to Travel, sounds like a great trip!! All the walking, wow, very impressed!! You have probably toned up so much and built lots of lean muscle, so that's why the scale is the same, but underneath that number lies the true story that you've lost fat and gained muscle. A number on a scale can be pretty arbitrary sometimes, your body is a much better guide. Well done!!! Did you eat ALL the cheese?! I know I would!! Hahaha

I reached a milestone today, I met my target!!! In fact, I was 0.2 under. But where were the balloons and congratulations on my ticker?! Nowhere! It just said very matter-of-fact, '0.2 below your target' Distinctly unimpressed, I moved my target down to 130 so now it says 4.8 to go. I just wonder how long this last 5lbs will take... groan!

I weighed early as I'm off on a trip tonight with my girls, sister and mum to visit my grandpa as it's his birthday tomorrow too!

Happy 4th of July everyone!! Have a great holiday!!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #89  

Congratulations VIX!!! Good job!!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #90  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Toni, I wish I was that active all the time! My sibling and I were remarking at the end of the trip that we'll need to enjoy our new legs of steel while they last. And I'm sure once TOM is over you'll see your weight drop again if you're sticking with healthy habits. Hang in there.

Vix, a little cheese and bread everyday! I especially love the hard crusty bread they use, I'm not sure I can happily go back to "regular" bagged bread again. Definitely in agreement about using my body as the main guide and not the scale number.

And congratulations on hitting your target, that's fantastic! Maybe no balloons, but I hope you gave yourself a big pat on the back for all of your hard work. From the info in your signature, it looks like you've lost the weight pretty quick so those last 5 pounds might not take as long as you think. Safe travels!
Closed Thread