Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #1  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default September Feathers Chat!

How is it already September? I'm so not ready for the fall yet. Good thing it still feels like a gross humid sauna in the Northeast. I had a very lazy long weekend (Chinese buffet, laying around not going to the gym, petting the cats for hours while staring into space eating ice cream...).

My roommate and I spent Labor Day renting a U-Haul cargo van and moving a washer and dryer from her parents' house in New Hampshire to our apartment in Troy. I'm glad my BF was around to help us in Troy because we ended up having to move them up a flight of stairs, and my roommate and I both have bad backs. I don't feel too bad this morning though, and ran 2 miles and lifted weights at the gym.

WI was 120.6 today after lots of sweating, 121.0 yesterday, 119.6 Sunday, and 118.0 Saturday. Clearly I have been overdoing it a bit - it's pre-PMS time and I just feel like a bottomless pit of gluttony. We're going to CT to visit BF's family for Rosh Hashanah on Thursday so the moment I drop any water weight I'll be packing it back on and then some. Oh well! This is what autumn is for, right?

Orange/tan cat is named Rusty Shackleford, Dekopon, or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson depending on the day (but we call him Rusty).

Black cat is named Lucy Lawless and she is on the road to obesity if we don't figure out how to moderate her food intake while feeding Rusty enough...

Moving Forward That soreness after a break from exercise hurts so good. You will regain lost strength in no time! It's amazing how resilient bodies are when it comes to that sort of thing. Congratulations on surviving a household with two teenagers - I would say as a maintainer that as long as you balance indulgences with lighter meals you can "go ham" on a regular basis with no long term gains.

olehcat WOO WOO mini-goal! Congratulations, sorry if it's belated - weddings are awkward events even if you know almost everyone there! I'm glad to hear you made it back safely in the fog. I always weigh myself even after awful day(s) as a reminder that it's probably not as bad as I think it will be but I know that's not fun for everyone.

archaic1 Being hungry sucks and is a necessary evil to lose weight as a featherweight. What are you eating now? Sometimes changing around meal timing and increasing % protein in your intake helps. And sometimes you're just hungry and have to go to bed to stop being sad about it.

Leaves Welcome back! ^___^ Holidays are always tough but you can bounce back (just in time for Christmas madness, the hardest time of year!). How was the cruise? Where did you go?

Cattails I'm really sorry to read about experiencing pain while jogging and walking - injuries are the worst and I hate that our bodies betray us when we're trying to help them stay healthy for the long term! I hope you feel better soon and rest and whatnot.

Hoopty It really blows your body is all out of whack and you are struggling so much. It sounds like there is just a lot going on and I know for me and probably a lot of people, bad BMs/water retention/feeling bloated are huge binge triggers - like you want to stuff yourself just to push it out of you! Is there an end date to the hormonal madness? Any big changes on the horizon to look forward to?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone!

I'm joining in after about a year off, I'm such a fair weather feather
I just finished my Master's degree and I moved to Washington, DC for my fiancee's job but I'm currently looking for a job so I've decided to try and actually get down to my goal weight before my wedding in December (I always get stuck 5 lbs above it).

I remember some but not all of you ladies, looking forward to getting to know you!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #3  

I figured I need to step it up with my workouts because a) I just moved to like the fittest city in the USA and b) I need to look hot in my wedding dress. So I went to bootcamp for the first time and...man am I out of shape. It was embarrassing, I was the slowest person there!! I couldn't do the stair runs or the pushups at all! At least everyone there was really nice I'm going to try and get the nerve to go back on Friday.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Hi LisaTcan! I've heard about those bootcamp classes... they're pretty tough! You're not supposed to be able to keep up! :P Good luck

I'm a bit of a bad dieter. I always seem super motivated to begin with but then 2 weeks later I'm stuffing my face with KFC. But I've been dieting for nearly 5 weeks straight now, and I've lost about 6lb. I'm happy with my diet, which is basically calorie counting using an app, and I'm also doing the C25K and swimming because I'm trying to get fit! So I'm feeling positive about this weight loss attempt, I've gone further than I ever have before!

I still eat a chocolate bar a day though... :P
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #5  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

@LisaTcan - Hi to you and good luck on getting to your goal weight before your wedding - looks like you don't have far to go! Oo, bootcamp class - that sounds like fun.

@cantgetenoughchoc - I can totally relate to your name! Your current diet looks to be working well for you, good job. I, too, have chocolate every day; that is a necessity, right?

@krampus - Very cool kitty names! It's hard to settle on just one, isn't it? Our pets always have multiple names. LOL Rusty sounds perfect for your little guy. Enjoy the challah, yum.

I'm holding off on jogging for the time being, and upping my walking and strength training. So far, so good; I've dropped a couple more pounds! 121 - this is pre-children weight and I'm just...wow, amazed. Never thought I'd see that number again. After 22 years, it's a nice thing to see.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #6  

@cantgetenoughchoc - congrats!! I know how hard it can be to stay on track and 6lbs is awesome. I'm trying to get into running too, I'm not very good at it yet.

@cattails - wow, that's amazing you're at you're lowest weight since having kids. You must feel amazing!!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

Derr, forgot about the changing of the month and was wondering why people were so quiet! ;D

Not so bad today, weighed in at 149.8, about a pound less than last week at this time and that's after eating pretty poorly over the whole weekend! My running is going well! I'm doing about 30-40 minutes of mostly running (some walking) about 4 times a week and meeting a friend to go on a walk about two times a week. So far! I wish I could get away with more weight-loss wise! It all seems so slowwwww...especially because I do allow myself a little bit of looseness on the weekend. As long as the scale goes down, I don't care how slow it is, actually...but why can't it go a little faster? (had to say it)

I've been eating very healthy during the week. Eggs for breakfast, gazpacho and avocado for lunch, a date for dessert, stir fry for dinner (or roasted vegetables or artichoke with dip).

@krampus - petting cats for hours while eating ice cream and going to a Chinese buffet sounds like heaven! And keeping my cats from getting fat is somehow worse than keeping myself from getting fat! D:

@cattails - you seeing 121 gives me SO much hope! I haven't seen anywhere around that for about 20 years myself! (well, I was about 125 7 years ago, but not down to 120).

@LisaTcan - congrats on your upcoming wedding!

@cantgetenoughchoc - hey, we gotta survive somehow. If a chocolate bar a day keeps you in line otherwise, then I'd say it's a good thing!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #8  

Okay, ladies, I need help before Sunday for sure!

My last week's "official" weigh-in was 148.8. I'm worried because today's weigh-in (not official) was 150.8 (up from yesterday!). Usually water retention from the weekend has calmed down by this time in the week. But I really, really want my weigh-in on Sunday to be right around 148.0 or preferably 147.something.

Any healthy way to make that happen that you know of, to get rid of 2-2.5 pounds of water retention in a few days before my Sunday weigh-in? I know about drinking tons of water. Does lemon in water actually help with that, do you know? Any foods that you know of that help release retention?

I don't even know if this is possible, since I'm meeting some friends out Friday night anyway, lol...
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #9  

@olehcat - I actually find drinking a ton of water with lemon does really help
I struggle with water retention big time too! There is this thing at health food stores called "skinny tea" but I don't really trust it..
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #10  

Thanks, LisaTcan! I will try that, probably not today becuase I can't spend all of today in the bathroom (at work), but Saturday I don't have to go anywhere...

Ugh, I really sabotaged myself yesterday! I had a HUGE pile of highly caloric homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner (a binge for me because I had a WAY bigger portion than would be recommended for something that caloric), and then had candycorn for dessert. Eep. And I don't do well with dairy overall and have been trying to mostly avoid pasta. And sugar. Still and surprisingly, my weight was down .4 of a pound this morning, so just think if I had just stuck to plan yesterday *eyeroll* my weight might have been back where it should be. Oh well!

Today's challenge is going to a tapas restaurant with some friends. Does anyone know of healthy choices at that type of place?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Krampus: I totally can't believe it's September already, but like you, said gotta get in shape for Christmas! The cruise was great- went to Croatia and some Greek Islands, so warm, so much food! Cute cat names :3

Lisa: Welcome back! I know how you feel, trying to get back when you've been out for a while. And bootcamp sounds tough! Wedding is a great goal though, good luck!

Cantgetenough: Sounds just like my plan! (including the chocolate- but I found that having just a couple of squares of dark chocolate really makes me appreciate it, ya know?)

Cattails: wooo 121 post baby!? Man, I don't know if I can get there PRE-baby! haha! Way to go!

Oleh: really not sure about getting rid of water, it's always been pretty hit and miss for me. Isn't it crazy how crappy water feels when you're actively trying to lose? When I'm just maintaining/eating what I want, I don't really notice it :s good luck with the weigh in, sorry I don't have any tried and tested suggestions other than waiting it out

---------------

Really don't wanna change my ticker, eugh. I know it's truthfully more like 140lbs now though. Getting back to routine now though, and my teacher training starts on monday so hopefully I'll be super busy and distracted and not wanting to eat all the time!
Can't believe it's autumn already- I started looking at new coats online today. Want to get a nice one before they all sell out like last year!

Last edited by Leaves; 09-06-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #12  

okay, wow, I guess I just sabotaged myself to not weigh in for Sunday's official weigh-in because there's no way I'll be down after the last few days. All I can do is do my best for the NEXT weigh-in.

Yesterday I went to a lovely tapas restaurant and had bread (which I have been trying to not have often) with some yummy spreads and steamed mussels and a glass of wine. That would have been okay except that I had Thai noodles earlier and McDonald's even earlier. WHAT? It's like I ate all the forbidden foods yesterday in one day. Also I shared part of a chocolate cake with someone at like 10 p.m. last night.

I was trying to figure out why I did that, why I sabotaged myself like that, and I realized it's because I had a higher weight than I wanted the other day. It's almost as if...if the weigh-in had been LESS than expected, I would have done everything in my power to keep the momentum going, but because it was heavier than I wanted, I just throw in the towel and give up for this week. I guess knowing what's going on in my head is the first step to trying to get around that but geesh...Too bad. I was doing so well for awhile there.

Okay, so I have a big birthday party for a friend on Wednesday that will involve homemade pizza and cake and my own birthday dinners (a few of them!) at the end of the month. I wonder if it will be possible to eat completely healthy on every other meal except for those two to four meals? Wonder if I could do it. I KNOW I could add more exercise. To me that's never a problem. Doing (doing exercise) is so much easier than NOT doing (as in NOT eating too much, NOT eating this or that).

@Leaves - Teacher training? What are you training for? Or are you training people?
Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #13  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

Aw, olehcat, you did have some fun yesterday! Sorry to hear about your struggles. Like others have said elsewhere, weight loss is mostly mental and hard to get your head wrapped around. So kudos to you for figuring out one trigger for self-sabotage, that's something! One thing struck me when I read your post, the comment that you ate "all the forbidden foods in one day." Does forbidding foods help you or hinder you? I don't consider ANY food off-plan, though I very rarely ever CHOOSE to eat many things, or eat very tiny portions of certain things. I like what JohnP says: "I eat whatever I want, just not however much I want." Anyway, I'm cheering for you, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Last edited by Cattails; 09-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #14  

@ Leaves - I think I remember you from before! Are you a teacher or becoming a teacher?

@olehcat - I can totally relate to losing motivation when the scale doesn't go down. I think that's a big part of the reason I never get to my goal weight. I get so frustrated that I'm working hard and not losing weight so I decide to throw in the towel and eat yummy food! You can do it though!! Don't lose faith
Old 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Hi Feathers!

By way of introduction... Hello! I'm 41, a stay-at-home mom, and I live in San Diego. I have three lovely children.

I used to be on here quite a bit and had a lot of success losing weight, getting down to 120 at one point. I'm not so good at keeping it off, though, so here I am again! Not aiming quite so low this time, though as discussed on another thread, it can be hard for me to know I *can* be that weight and sometimes I'd like to be there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehcat View Post
I was trying to figure out why I did that, why I sabotaged myself like that, and I realized it's because I had a higher weight than I wanted the other day. It's almost as if...if the weigh-in had been LESS than expected, I would have done everything in my power to keep the momentum going, but because it was heavier than I wanted, I just throw in the towel and give up for this week.
Ohhhhh, I SO do this! It is one of my greatest struggles. Lately I've been doing a lot of self-talk (I admit, some of it out loud), reminding myself that if I just stick to plan, the loss *will* come. Congrats on identifying the trigger -- and if you come up with good ways to defuse it -- please share them!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote