Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1  
吃多一点,吃少一点

S/C/G: >29" / 25.5" / <=25"

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default May Feathers' Chat

Hey! It's May 1st on my side of the world, so I'm making the May chat thread.

I've gotta make this quick, as I want to get a bit of work done before I head out for a nice long run today.

I did really well with my running last month, doing at least 45 mpw comfortably. But now that I've worked myself up to a good training volume, I've got to start paying attention again to things I've neglected -- namely strength training and abs. I'll probably go renew my gym membership today, where I guess I'll have to start again at square one with the arms, and will probably be really, really sore tomorrow.

Because I've plateaued a little bit at a 26.25" waist (I'm not bothering so much with scale weight), I'm going to make an extra effort to cut calories this month. Maybe 1600, 5 days out of the week, with >2000 2 days of the week, in order to fuel my longer training runs. We'll see how this goes. My days here in this little Chinese city are so uniform that a diet in which I eat the exact same thing everyday would not be difficult to do. I might do a pilot trial of that this week.

I'll carry over my personals from last month either later tonight or tomorrow.

Happy May, feathers!

Last edited by xiaobaicai; 04-30-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: speeling muh-steaks
xiaobaicai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Hello all, mind if I join?

I've been lurking through the other chat thread and you girlies are so inspiring! I'm just starting out with running, so reading about all the miles that are done round here is so motivational
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #3  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Hello! Can i join too? I was here before actually a year (2 years?) ago, but somehow, here i am again!!

Diet (sorry - lifestyle change) started on Monday, but today was the first day i weighed myself. Sigh. Looking forward to getting in to it again. Or rather i'm looking forward to getting in to my clothes again anyway!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #4  
Blue

S/C/G: 181.4/134.8/115

Height: 5'2 1/2"

xiao: Thanks for starting the May thread. I've been waiting for the new month so I could join in. You've been racking up some awesome runs lately.

leaves: Welcome. I too am a lurker attempting to come out of lurkdom.

ange: I know what you mean about "back again x years later". Just look at my join date...and I'm still not at goal. This time we will see goal.

Happy May, Feathers! My May resolution is to actively post instead of just lurking. I've started to feel like a creeper/voyeur.
BlueIsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #5  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

AH JESUS I wrote personals and then close the tab. Sorry, they will be short! I'll do better tomorrow!

xiao : 45 mpw is impressive, YOU GO GIRL! Bleeeeeeh, don't tell me about core training, since I increased my mileage, I ditch completely the abs stuff. I need to get back to it.

BlueIsis, Ange and Leaves : Welcome!!!! Can't wait to read you!

Alexis : Did you finally invite Hans Solo/Martin Freeman to your concert? For the faith stance, there is something about everything working out in the future, but at least for now he knows where you stand and everything, which is probably better than just all getting this out in a SURPRISE style further on (jeez, does it make sense? I've kept re-reading myself and I can't come up with a better way to write it LOL - it's all so clear in my head!)

Hiiiiiiiiiii. I was not even hangover today, just so badly dehydrated, which is actually worst for me. What we ate was salt last night and the resto, so this morning I was up to 133.2 pounds. NOT STRESSING, yes I indulged a bit, but maybe around 2400 calories. Plus we had a great time with the bro and the food was amazing.

I'm trying really hard not to get all crazy about the number coming up on the scale, but it does not help that my tummy is so bloated that I feel I'm going to deliver something LOL. Seriously, I would not mind seeing the 133 if the bloated feeling would go away.

We had burger on the grill tonight, they were great but way too thick. I'm kind bad with the grill, at least now I am using it, that is a great improvement after being scared to turning the thing on...

5k run done today, 8k planned tomorrow, might go out for a beer tomorrow night, heading to Montréal on Friday to help some friends that are moving (I smells some pizza ahead, uh-oh).

And JESUS I really need to go shopping, I have away all my last summer clothing because most were getting a bit bigger and now I have nothing left to wear. Yes, #firstworldproblem.

Good night!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

hey girls! I can't believe we're already into May! Just a quickie mid-week check in. this week has been MUCH better – eating on plan and no major cravings! So far, the bloat is gone, and I *THINK* I might be back to my weight a week ago when I weigh in on Saturday – or be close – I really want to see under 160 again!

For exercice, I’ve been doing zumba, kind of slacking on the arms challenge (I haven’t actually started that), but my main focus was to get the evil carb/sugar cravings under control this week. I planned on going running today (er…starting to run today) but I forgot I had my last follow up dr appointment (from the horrible bout of sciatica) that I made a month ago so I had to scratch that idea since I didn’t want to go all sweaty. The good news is dr complimented me and said she could tell I lost weight since I was last there last time, yay! Regardless of whether or not it's true, it was a morale booster. Plus I’ve been cleared 100% for going back to my workout routines (which, I kind of cleared myself a while ago but it’s good to be official).

These next few weeks are going to be crazy busy – only 1 month left of school and lots of tests/final exams to grade, ughhh.

I promise I’ll be back this weekend for personals!

Goals for the rest of the week: WATER, WATER, WATER – stay on plan – EXERCICE (zumba tomorrow, Friday running, Saturday.. not sure!)

have a great rest of the week!!!

Last edited by chahma; 05-01-2013 at 09:38 PM.
chahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Xiao Wow. I wish I could be half as good as you at running! At the minute I can't even do a mile without wanting to curl up and die afterwards...argh.
Does your tagline under your username say 'eat a lot, eat a little'? I've been studying Mandarin for two years, but haven't been able to do it this year and feel like I'm forgetting it all

Ange, BlueIsis Glad you're both back on board. I'm on a restart too, let's make this year the one!

Turbo Sounds like you're having a busy week! I think a summer wardrobe is an excellent reason to go shopping, especially when you need the new clothes because of weight loss- must be a fab feeling. I can't wait to go summer shopping, but I'm going to leave it until as late as I can in the hope I'll be a bit smaller by then!

Chahma Good news about the doc visit, and yay for the compliment! Good luck with your plan, I love zumba. I've only been to a class once but it was hilarious, such a fun mix of sexy and sweaty! haha

---------

Going to try for another run this afternoon. Probably be about 5 minutes of running and 30 minutes of wheezing mind you. How do you all do it? D:

Last edited by Leaves; 05-02-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #8  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Having been shamed in to giving it a go by reading about you lot..... i tried to have a bit of a run today and managed about a 2km stagger around a 4km trail. I used to run round that trail with the dog and not even count it as exercise, and then go off and do other stuff, but now i'm so unfit - i've really got some work to do!

When i'm not actually physically doing it, i'm quite enthusiastic about getting fitter again - when i am physically doing it though its de-motivatingly bad!
Priority 1 is getting the eating right first though.

I did used to run a bit - a few HM's and some longer trail runs, but it never really worked for me to keep the weight off - there's something about running that makes me hungry, and because i'm running i think i can eat more than i should, so every time i've got in to it much i've actually put weight on (although that's clearly not the reason for the latest weight gain given my non-fit confessions!)

Love to read about others running though, so have enjoyed your updates all!

Looking forward to being here a bit, and doing some losing again. Thanks for the warm welcomes Leaves, Turbo, Blue
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

oops, yesterday I posted in the April chat thread, although so did a few others after me! So I have now moved into May.

Oh, feathers, I finally finished my classes!!! For those of you who are new, this past semester I worked full time as a literacy teacher PLUS I took 8 graduate level credit hours. NEVER AGAIN. I think that aged me about 10 years. Seriously. Anyway, yesterday I finished my final project.

Now I can focus on my health again, losing weight, real exercising again (I've taken a break since the half marathon), feeling more relaxed...

@ange82 - welcome! I've never been to Australia but hope to get there someday! Sydney looks so lovely in pictures! Anyway, running has never allowed me to lose weight either, but it's good for maintaining, I've found! Like if I'm at a weight I feel good at, running will allow me to get away with eating more to maintain it. But if I'm trying to lose, it's only diet that matters.

@chahma - are you a teacher, too? What level? Good luck with the final push for end of the year!

@turbo - go you on not stressing about the weight being up. Of course you're up from overindulging and eating something salty! It will be right back down in a day or two, I'm sure!

@Blueisis - you and I have similar goals and we're the exact same height! I would like to be anywhere from 110-120 as my final weight (will see what I look like at 120...may be satisfied there) and currently am in mid 140s. What are you doing to lose weight?

@xiao - wow, 45 m per week!!!!! That's really incredible. I am lucky if I get 20 m per week!

@leaves - welcome!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

xiao ~ Dang girl! That IS a lot of running! Personally, I love the idea of a "core diet" but it's usually easier said than done. What would you eat? What's standard for you? Personally I tend to go high lean protein, low carb, to the point where I don't notice hunger so much, but it's the monotony that eventually gets to me...

leaves ~ Hurray for delurking! Watching the miles that other people log IS great motivation. For me, it proves that it can be done. In spite of a busy schedule (that we all have) you CAN find time to make it work.

Ange82 ~ Welcome back! I remember you, too, and I've unfortunately been in the same boat (posting on and off for about 2+ years) but as they say, it's never too late...

blueisis ~ This is a good and noble resolution that we fully support. :thup: Hope to see you around in here!

chalma ~ WooHoo for the doctor noticing your loss! That's always a boost, no matter the occasion. Water + Exercise are the silver bullets. Hang in there, girl! You can make it 'till the end of the school year!!!

turbo ~ So I DID invite Martin Freeman to my concert and he said that he would love to come, but that he had to get out of something (departmental farewell) and I was like, no, you should probably go to that, so we're meeting for dinner on Tuesday.
lol @ "SURPRISE" style later on -- you know, it's funny you mention that b.c my mom and I had almost the same conversation yesterday. Trying to relax and realize that not everything needs to be set in stone today. He knows that it's important to me and that's where we'll leave it for now.

oleh ~ I said it in the other thread, but bears mentioning CONGRATS ON THE FINAL CLASS!!!! HURRAY!!!! (sending strength for the final push on the project and the end of the year) Do you have plans for the summer?

~~~~
Knocked out 4 miles after work, but switched to walking midway through b.c my feet/calves were killing me. I've needed new sneakers for... oh, going on three years now...

Rehearsal tonight, concert tomorrow, friend reunion/dinner saturday, church/party sunday, board meeting Monday, dinner w. guy friend Tuesday, OY VEY!!! Lots of heavy food-shaped events ahead, so exercise will be critical for maintenance AND sanity!

I was looking over my food/exercise logs from this time last year and it looks like I was at almost the exact same point. It's mostly encouraging because I remember being content at that point. CONTENT, but not at my best. I feel like if I'm just a bit more conscious of what I'm eating, I can be just that little bit lower than I was this time last year. I think I'm definitely in a better place life/balance wise, so there's a huge plus. Now to focus and actually apply myself.

Summer Shape Up, here I come!

Have a great Thursday, Feather Friends!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #11  
love machine!

S/C/G: 167/130.2/120

Height: 5'6"

HI guys! Well I reached my April goal two days late, but woohoo anyway!!! 143! It's been a rough week or so (just no weight coming off, some temporarily coming back apparently?) but I'm glad-- seems like I'm past all of that for now and starting to lose again. I seem to gain/stay the same when I'm exercising crazy amounts, then a few days later of no exercise/light cardio (like yesterday I biked just 4 miles) I lose a pound overnight! Anyone else experience this? I know if dumb, but I feel like if I go super hard I don't get the results and let's face it: we're all here for the process..... BUT WE WANTS RESULTS! So, yea. Someone else suggested drinking tons of water right before bed and tons more right when I wake up.... I think I'll give that a go. I do wake up feeling sticky and dehydrated....
om namah shivaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #12  
Warrior Princess

Thumbs up

I was positive I had gained a little since I was slacking at the gym (and gorged on pizza over the weekend) but I mustered up the courage to get on the scale which showed I didn't have a real gain. What a relief. I am a little sodium bloated from dinner last night but I am sure the extra few ounces will come off. Last weigh in was 139.8 and now I'm 140.2. I'll take it!

I WILL be at the gym tonight, or jogging outside once I get home from an appointment. I don't care how tired I feel. I need Jillian to make house calls and whip me off the couch. I am on a total mission to never have a muffin top again.

Did everyone have their BM's today?
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #13  
Blue

S/C/G: 181.4/134.8/115

Height: 5'2 1/2"

TurboMammoth: That's awesome that you were able to spend time with your brother and enjoy some ggod food (and wine). I can totally relate to the grill situation. I'm a fairly good cook, but the grill is entirely my husband's domain. He will be away this summer though (military) so I guess I'm going to have to learn how to operate the grill. #firstworldproblem

chama: Congrats on getting back on plan. It's such a great feeling when you feel like you're totally on plan. Love Zumba. Did I mention, love Zumba?

leaves: You can read Mandarin? That's pretty cool. They say it's one of the most difficult languages to become proficient in. Are you a runner that has just not run in a while, or are you new to the whole running gig? If you're new, you might want to try the "couch to 5K" plan for a less wheezy experience.

ange: Getting back into exercise after being away is so hard. You keep comparing your "current self" to your "previous self", but if you used to do long runs like half-marathons, you'll be back up to speed in no time.

olehcat: You were taking eight credits while working full-time? No wonder exercise got put on the back burner. What are you studying? You are my height/weight/goal twin. I'm counting calories and macros. As you said, you can't outtrain a bad diet. I am attempting to recomp because I want to lose weight and fat, but am interested in physique as well. I lift heavy with an upper/lower body split four times a week and do forty minutes of steady state cardio twice a week and thiry minutes of HIIT/interval training three times a week.

alextrophic: I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one that keeps old diet and exercise logs. I was feeling a little silly the other day realizing I had several that were more than a couple years old. You have such a busy extracurricular and social life, but you seem to balance things so well.

shivaya: Great job on making your April goal. I've also noticed the weight loss after taking an exercise break. I wonder if your damaged muscles retain water which is flushed out on a rest day, hence the "whoosh".

novangel: It is nice to see people able to enjoy "real life" without appreciable weight gain. LOL @ the BM carrot!

As for me...so far May has been a good month. Granted, the month is yet young. I've stayed on plan, within my calories and hitting my macros, while still going to a Mexican restaurant with my family last night. It's a constant challenge when your family has traditions like, every Wednesday we go out for fish tacos, but I'm starting to make it work better than I have in the past. I have also hit all my workouts this week (so far). I'm lifting upper body and a three mile run today. See, I've written it down, now I have to do it.
BlueIsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

BlueIsis~ Horray for a great start to MAY!!! Way to go hitting all your macros AND staying under your cal counts. Studies have shown that we tend to eat more when we're out in a group (or with family ) than when we're alone. Good for you for being aware of what you were eating.

Nova ~ Isn't it rewarding when you clock in lower than you thought you would? Win!

Om ~ Welcome! And totally agree with you on the "we want results" cheer. The process is important, but so is the outcome. I try to stay hydrated throughout the day, as well as at night. Can definitely feel a difference if I don't.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #15  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

chahma : I'm glad to know everything got back into control for you! I wish you'll see the number you want!

Leaves : I did exactly what you are doing right now for the summer clothing shopping last summer actually! I was not willing to go and spend tons of money on clothing that would be too big, so I just wore them anyway... I just now remember I gave them away last fall :P ahahah!

Have fun with your run!

ange : Good job on getting back to running!! If you used to do it before, you'll probably get back to it quickly, once you pass the first few weeks of ''OMG I wish I would not have stop''. I hurt myself last fall and had to stop for a while, and when I got back to it, it was a bit frustrating but so rewarding in the long run. Keep up the good work!

olehcat : OH YEAH for your classes being done!! Enjoy your extra free hours/day!!!

Alexis : Yay for Tuesday dinner with Martin Freeman! And great job on the run And, girl, go get some sneackers! Running a lot got me really freak on running shoes related stuff LOL. It is nice too see that your food log is pretty much the same from last year, it means you made good and long-lasting changes! Props to that!!

om_namah : Your body might be retaining water after your workout Congrats on reaching your goal.

novangel : The scale result is awesome! It is nice to see that the damages are not as bad as we thought Question : what does BM stand for??

BlueIsis : I'm kinda glad to know I'm not the only one with grill related issues LOL Actually, the boyfriend is really protective of HIS grill, we almost had an arguing when I headed out to grill the patties last night lol. Oh well. MEN.

Have fun on that run!

Seriously, it seems everybody is running on this thread

I was up more this morning to 133.8 (BLEH). Might be still fighting the salty food we had Tuesday? I'm trying hard on not going on restriction mode to hard while being up (after all, it is probably water) but after saying ''okay, I'm in maintenant and my upper red line is 134.0 - so I'm really close) I feel like

I know it is mostly a mental thing at this point, which is even harder to control than just a calories log, in my opinion... OH WELL.

I had a nice 8k run this morning while it was not too had. I worked on negative splits and I was very happy of my time. Also did a few crunches and lying leg raises. Tomorrow is rest day and I am SO EXCITED.

We are supposed to head to the pub after the boyfriends is out from work and than back home to eat the tuna-spinach stuffed shells I prepared while whatching the FIRST PLAY OFF GAME OF THE HABS. Crazy hockey fan mode : ON

Take care ladies!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote