Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/124/120

Height: 5ft 2

Default A little disheartened by bodyfat%...

Myself and some friends were in Boots yesterday (a huge store which sells everything you require to take care of yourself, shampoo, hair dye, medicine etc etc...) and we dicided to have a go on their height/weight/bmi/body fat % calculator machine!
And now I am feeling completely pooped. It was late at night, so I was 3lbs higher than I was when I weighed in the morning (125 morning, 128 evening), which is understandable. Turns out I am 5"1.8. Which is also what I thought. But when I saw that my BMI is barely under the "overweight" category and Im 30% body fat (which they class as "average") I couldnt believe it! I've lost 16lbs since I started and honestly thought I would have got further. I have always been a curvy girl, and have ALWAYS had a huge chest for as long as I can remember. But 30% fat??
I dont know what to do from here. I am trying to get to 120lbs eventually, although Im stuck at 124/125 just now! I think Im probably over reacting a little, but I was just a little upset by the whole thing
Cat x
Cat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 136/132/120

Height: 5' 4"

24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdz37nFylr1r30l77o1_500.jpg

I hope this puts things into perspective for you! 30% isn't bad at all! Also, those scales are usually off anyways
maymarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #3  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

I don't know what kind of machine calculator you use, but most of them are usually a scam. Like the bodyfat a home scale would give you might give you some indication, but is most of the time innacurate.

This type of scale would use a process called bioimpedence, which is the mesure of an electrical current in an organism. The way the electrical current is travelling in your body is affected by the fat % (fat does not let current go as easily) and give you an estimation of your fat %, depending of your weight and your height. It gives a good indication with results are know to vary a lot.

So don't panic too much about that. Plus, as you said, breast are basically made of fat, which can increase the % you get!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by maymarza View Post
24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdz37nFylr1r30l77o1_500.jpg

I hope this puts things into perspective for you! 30% isn't bad at all! Also, those scales are usually off anyways
Love this!! Thanx for sharing!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
This type of scale would use a process called bioimpedence, which is the mesure of an electrical current in an organism. The way the electrical current is travelling in your body is affected by the fat % (fat does not let current go as easily) and give you an estimation of your fat %, depending of your weight and your height. It gives a good indication with results are know to vary a lot.
These machines, I believe, also vary depending on your hydration levels (the current doesn't flow as fast if you're de-hydrated), so that may have also played into your measurement. Also, I believe these machines can have a +/- 3% (or more) variance.

So, don't worry too much and just keep on keeping on.

Are you doing much weight training? Or just cardio to lose weight right now?
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 140/124/120

Height: 5ft 2

Maymarza- that really helped a lot! I guess 30% isnt too bad at all! Thanks for all your input ladies, I knew the machine was probably not to be trusted! But it was nice to find out my actual height, I havent been measured in years
Cat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 136/132/120

Height: 5' 4"

No problem, I get down on myself sometimes too but if were even in the featherweight category we can't look too bad
maymarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

A lot of home scales can be off by up to 10%. Totally freaking bogus.

If yu are really interested, try getting calipered by a professional, and then get it again every few months, hopefully by the same person. There is still a margin if error, but not 3-10%!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote