Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/124/120

Height: 5ft 2

Default back injury and scale stuck!

Hello feathers! I have been looking round this board for a while now and you all seem so lovely and supportive! I have been part of the getting out the 120s thread and I've been stuck at 125/126 for a few weeks now. My problem is that I have severly hurt my lower back (occupational hazard of playing violin!) and have been told by my osteopath to avoid running, swimming etc. Im now not sure what I can so exercise-wise, and I know it's what I need to do to get the scale moving! Im following a low carb diet and my diet mostly consists of lean meat and veg, and low fat dairy products.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do diet/exercise wise to get the scale moving again?
Thank you!
Cat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi Cat! I used to play violin

My suggestion would be to call your osteopath and see what they recommend for ways you CAN exercise and stay more active without stressing your back. As far as diet, any plan that increases vegetables while getting enough protein and at least SOME fats is good. But the more veggies the better. See about a calorie tracker app, but fruits and veggies are a good way to feel full (all that water and fiber) while minimizing calories in.

For the time being, while you let your back rest and heal, you may want to focus on maintaining and not gaining and leave the last few pounds until your back is better. What I have found, being a swing dancer and knowing many other swing dancers who don't rest like they should with various injuries, is if you don't really give the injury time to rest it will be a problem for MUCH longer, if not permanently. It looks like you are a healthy weight so as long as you focus on eating healthy, staying active in ways that won't bother your back, and resting your back, that is more important right now and in the long term than losing those last 5-6 pounds. If you don't take care of your back now, you may never be able to adequately be active enough to drop the last few pounds.

So eat healthy, REST your back, maintain at your current weight, and worry about the last few pounds AFTER your back is better.

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #3  
Mogzy

S/C/G: 160/147/135

Height: 5.4.5

Um, I think see another doctor, a physio or orthopeadic surgeon. Too much rest is not good for back pain at all and the right exercise is good. I know injuries are different but as a chronic back pain sufferer this advice sounds very suspect. Running may well be out but specific rehab exercises are usually a must for injuries.
Mogzillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #4  
Mogzy

S/C/G: 160/147/135

Height: 5.4.5

Just reading a post again and I see you were asking for exercise suggestions. Try a Pilates Class, preferably with a well trained instructor and a small group, don't do it to lose weight, do it to rehabilitate your back, its really important that your back gets better. For cardio try aqua aerobics, ellipticals or biking or the arm cycling thingamajig, basically if anything puts you past the point of mild discomfort stop. You should be uncomfortable and can expect to feel a bit of pain, but you shouldn't feel sharp stabbing pain and you should feel a little better afterwards. Go for trial and error, you know your body. Also are you comfortable with your diagnosis? How long have you had back pain for?
Mogzillo is offline   Reply With Quote