3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Featherweights (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights-197/)
-   -   JC Penney employee comment (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/featherweights/260632-jc-penney-employee-comment.html)

CherryPie99 06-07-2012 09:56 PM

JC Penney employee comment

Today I was looking for a skirt in JC Penney's. An employee offered to help. She was an older woman - could probably lose a few pounds but was not heavy. I found a great skirt but they had it in a size 2 and size 6 but not a 4 - my size.

The employee held up the size 6 and said "Why don't you just get this and eat a cookie?!" I was a little shocked. Not sure if she was just trying to be funny or what!

Only Me 06-07-2012 10:00 PM

I'm sure she was just making a joke. It's not like she has any idea of your weight loss, previous weight, etc.

Astrild 06-07-2012 10:01 PM

Jeez that's a little rude. It's not like size 4 is necessarily famished or anything (maybe to some American standards, I don't know...) Sounds like she was just jealous.

mimsyborogoves 06-07-2012 10:10 PM

Being an associate at a department store myself, that is TERRIBLE customer service! I would never, ever comment on a customer's weight. One, it's none of my business anyway, and two, why the **** would I do business with someone that insults me, joking or not? It's not her place as an associate to make those kinds of comments -- she should be complimenting you and helping you find something that actually fits so you'll actually buy the product you're looking for. Bad move on her part.

danzingurl77 06-07-2012 10:23 PM

Actually Im thinking she probably meant it as a compliment. I've noticed that people have a hard time just giving genuine compliments... I get that comment all the time "your so skinny- eat a ______" whatever it is. I'm sure that if she had known about your weight loss or any of your journey she wouldnt have said anything... But as featherweights I think people just assume that size isnt an issue. Maybe I'm way off, but I'd just take it as a compliment at best and a thoughtless joke at worst.

pixelllate 06-07-2012 10:59 PM

I think that it was rude. But I don't think that it was a compliment/insult to your size, I think that she meant "eat a cookie" to increase 1 size up, so if you were looking for a size 6 and wanted an 8 she might have said the same thing.

sontaikle 06-08-2012 05:10 AM

Isn't it funny being on the other side? I find it interesting how people tell us to eat now.

Well, interesting and annoying.

belmagick 06-10-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sontaikle (Post 4363533)
Isn't it funny being on the other side? I find it interesting how people tell us to eat now.

Well, interesting and annoying.

This!!! ^^^

Most of the time I just don't know how to react.

I was talking about bloat (context: dresses!) the other day and one of my colleagues said something about me being so small that if I eat a piece of sushi I'll bloat because there's nothing else in there. I was just completely bamboozled by that comment because nobody has ever said anything like that to me before and I don't know how to take it.

The shop assistant sounds rude to me, not about weight- I think it's was an ill thought out joke, but about trying to tell you to buy something that doesn't fit!