Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #1  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Default Bras - Can band size change after those last few?

For the longest time I've worn a 36B bra on the tightest clasp. I went out bra shopping the other day though, and found that after losing 5lbs recently, I could fit into 34B bras on the loosest setting. However, wearing it today it feels a little tight. I'd like to still lose 5-10lbs, so I don't know if I should exchange it, shrink into it, or hope that it stretches. I just don't know how much it takes to change a band size.

Last edited by Astrild; 05-19-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #2  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Have you taken your measurements? From your stats, I'd guess you are wearing a too-big band and a too-small cup. I'm 80 lb heavier than you and wear a 34 or 36 band (I'm kind of in between right now).

runningfromfat has got a blog post (her whole blog is awesome) about how to properly measure your size here: http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com...-that-fit.html

As to your question about will your band size change, I'd say it's possible. It probably depends on how you're built and where you've already lost. Losing weight is a funny thing... it never seems to come from where you want it to or think it will.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Follow Blueberries' advice! Make sure you're wearing the right size first!

And yes very little things can change your bra size. My bra size changed recently when I lost inches (but not weight) so I need to figure out what size I am again.

It depends on a number of factors, but during weight loss make sure to check your bra size frequently.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4

Just due to weight fluxuations, I have been everywhere; a 36D, 34C to a 32D (which I am now). I make sure that I get measured by the ladies at Victorias Secret and have them help me find what styles and sizes work best for me. Its amazing how far off you can be!

I would definitely go get measured if I were you.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #5  
Vegalitarian

That is really weird. I have measured myself before, and ended up with a 36B. Or maybe it was a 34B and I switched for comfort. Maybe that was when I was quite a bit heavier... I figured since things seemed to fit, that was that.

Now my underbust reads 29". According to that site I'm a DD? I think when I measured my under bust before, they said to add 5 or something like that. Now I don't know what to believe. Being a DD doesn't sound (or even look) right to me.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #6  
Vegalitarian

http://www.amplebosom.com/measuring-guide.php I think this is how I've done it previously, which gives me a 34 band size. However, now it's telling me I'm an A cup. Honestly, I think I would spill out of that! So confusing...
Old 05-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Following Runningfromfat's guide! I know it seems nuts when you're used to DD being "omg huge boobs" but it's really not when you get down into the smaller band sizes.

I'm a 30F right now. Seems like I should have huge knockers, but I don't. Instead the bra I'm wearing fits great and gives me support. I can't shop at VS or any store near me, but it's totally worth it the aggravation of buying online to get a bra that fits right.

A lot of the guides out there tell you to add inches to your ribcage measurement. They're wrong and outdated. Your ribcage measurement IS your band size. So in your case since you're inbetween you can get 28 or 30 bands (30 bands are a little easier to come by).

Last edited by sontaikle; 05-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #8  
Vegalitarian

Okay, I will take this advice and see how it goes. Are 28s and 30s harder to find than 34s and 36s? I've never had to look for them so I don't know what to expect.

Last edited by Astrild; 05-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #9  
Vegalitarian

Alright, before I go to the store, what do you think about sister sizes? I think that's why I've been wearing 36B all this time with few problems (although, now I think 34C would have been a better fit.)

I honestly don't know how easy finding a 28DD/30DD would be. According to the above chart, I could feasibly fit into any of the following. Although, I assume not going up too many band sizes would be best?

30DD / 32D / 34C / 36B

28DD / 30D / 32C / 34B

Last edited by Astrild; 05-19-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #10  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

As far as I can tell sister sizes are all wrong. If you're a 34 band you need a 34 band not a 36. It seems like shops just say that stuff to sell you the more common size if they don't have yous. I'm a 32D and I need a 32D not a 34C but I've been recommended that I go for a 34C but the band's wayyy too loose. It just doesn't fit.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #11  
Vegalitarian

hm... I'd like to get my true size, but I'd probably have to order it online.

In the meantime, I went back to the store I got my most recent bra from, and brought it with me. I couldn't find anything smaller than a 34, so I compared my 34B with a 34C (supposedly a sister size, which is obviously not ideal.) I could hardly tell the difference, so went out with the same 34B I initially got. To be honest, I think it supports me rather well. It has the option to go strapless, and without straps it does a good job of supporting &
"pushing up".

As far as I'm concerned, 34B seems to work... Are there any forums that would judge the fit based on pics? I don't want to expose myself too much here if it's not called for. lol
Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

There are lots of websites showing properly vs improperly fitted bras.

Here's one to start:
http://www.butterflycollection.ca/does-my-bra-fit/

(I hope that's an ok link.)
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #13  
Vegalitarian

^Thanks. My bra doesn't cause any of those problems, and I've found longer lists of bra issues that don't seem to apply to me. I do think a 36 band rode up, but 34 seems fine. I'd still like to try my "true" size, but I'm not sure how to hunt one down without paying a lot or shopping online...

This topic has gotten slightly derailed, but has been much more helpful than I expected. Thanks everyone...
Old 05-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #14  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I didn't really have any of the signs of an ill fitting bra either, I could pull the band out more but it wasn't riding up or away from my body at the front. The main thing was when I leaned forward the cups would gape a bit and not support me fully. This made me think I was wearing too large a cup size but I really didn't want to go into an A cup and I was too embarrassed to get measured. Thanks again to runningfromfat I measured myself properly and I'm a 32D and it makes a huge difference. My boobs look awesome now haha When I put my old 34B back on it was just terrible.

Not sure about brands and stuff but there's lots of cheaper bras on ebay. Look up Freya bras in your size and see if you can pick something up cheap.

I was disappointed when I realised Primark didn't go below a 34D but ooooh well. I got a nice Marks & Spencers bra too, good bras are a bit more expensive but you can totally feel the difference.

Good luck anyway!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #15  
Vegalitarian

Edit: Thanks for the Freya suggestion! I think having a brand in mind helps sort out sizing confusions. I'll also look at bratabase.

I'm still slightly confused though. I measured my underbust again, and measuring pretty tightly, I was actually 29.5. It took a bit squeezing to get to 29". Should I just go with a 30" band first, even if that felt a little loose when measuring? I've read to go with the smaller band size, but going from 29.5 to a 28 band seems like a stretch.

Also, do I judge my cup size by under bust alone, or by the band size I go with? If going by under bust (29" with 34" bust,) I'd choose between 28DD or 30DD right? But if adjusting for band size, I could be anywhere between 28DDD/E, 28DD, 30D and 30DD. Does this make any sense?

Last edited by Astrild; 05-21-2012 at 12:33 AM.