Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #16  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Great job on those line dancing classes! There are tons of studies that show that regular activity is good for long-term brain function, too.

And yes, the egg was in my hand.... literally.

(In the TV show "King of Queens" there's a scene where the father (Jerry Stiller) slaps a ring ding out of his son-in-law's (Kevin James) hand and I just had that image in my mind and it kinda made me giggle enough to snap the heck out of it...)

My nails are Essie's Mademoiselle and my toes are Essie's Dive Bar. I love having my nails done because every time I look at them I think "That's one binge I avoided."

The trouble now is figuring out what actually to eat... I either go way too restrictive or else I eat the whole house. It's the middle ground that's so tough...

Onward and upward!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

Last night was a little tempting for me. My hubby had to work late, and that's when I sometimes start wondering what else I could eat that tastes good. Luckily I cut up some celery and munched on those. But it wasn't easy. I knew that once I opened the door to my wants, it would be hard to stop.

So kudos to us for staying strong!!

I'm going to my advanced line dancing class at 2-4 PM and right after that I have a meeting to attend. This morning I need to get busy making phone calls for my biz.

Let's both stay strong! I like the idea of having things to do when tempted. Getting a pedicure or manicure is a great idea!! We need to make a list of things to do to keep us out of the refrigerator.

Last edited by tyla; 04-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #18  

((((tyla)))))
Good for you for "keeping that door closed". It's so true being hard to get it closed once it's open. And yes, I agree that a list of "better things to do" is always helpful.

Good luck w. your phone calls! I just made a scary one of my own (to former violin teacher.) I now have an appointment to see him this afternoon... It's scary b.c I've gone so far backwards, but really want his opinion choosing between these two violas I have.

Hoping your day is splendarific!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #19  

My day went pretty well, thanks. I had a tall nonfat latte for a treat, went to my line dance class from 2-3 only, then got ready for my meeting. Didn't have time to make calls like I wanted. Did research, though.

How was your appointment with your former teacher?

Time for bed. Nitey, nite.

Let's have a great Friday and weekend!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #20  

Awwww, appointment with the teacher was fantastic!!! He's kind of my "violin daddy" and he and his wife are just wonderful. They live in this adorable house on a chunk of land with rambling gardens, pavement stones, and a pond. I'm hoping that we can work out a way for him to teach me over the summer... Would really like to come back in the fall ten times better than when I left.

Love those coffee treats. Yum!

~~~
I've been ravenous lately. Once again, I know that emotions are the culprit and I just haven't been so committed to dealing with them in the healthiest of ways lately. Made a slew of "bad decisions" tonight... Oh, well. Draw a line and move on.

Let's make this a good (rest of) weekend!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #21  

I'm so glad everything went well with your viola teacher. Good luck with more lessons.

Sorry to hear that your not very committed lately. I know how that is. It happens in cycles, like right now I'm just going thru the motions when it comes to exercising. No wonder I'm not dropping any lbs. I used to do a lot of pilates, treadmill and elliptical. Now it's down to line dancing, walking and a dvd here and there. On Monday I'm signed up for a Zumba class. Hopefully, that will be a lot of fun.

Let's keep going>>>>>
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #22  

Love Zumba and that sounds like a lot of exercise for just going through the motions!

I am here and I am committed... I just don't know what that means to me right now. As usual, my emotional issues keep coming up and I wish it were as simple as just saying "eat this many calories". I get stuck in trying to control the world with food (either too much or too little) and that is not a good place to be...

*deep breath*

Really, that's all I can do. I have to keep reminding myself of what works in the past. Keeping track, being accountable, and letting go of my ego. Yeah.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #23  

(cross posted from the featherweights thread )
Bleh. Dealing with the fall out from the weekend. It's the same stinking pattern: over eat like crazy on the weekend, then starve to make up for it during the week. So not cool. I'm aware of it, though, and that's half the battle.

I've decided that the theme for this week is going to be "How can I be of service to others?" and am hoping to get myself out of my own stinking head. Have Red Cross volunteer training on Wednesday, so am looking forward to that.

My goals for the week are:
A - Get to a meeting
B - Get to as many yoga classes as possible.

And speaking of business calls... I made one on Saturday. (Lead from a friend of a family who was looking for a violinist for their wedding) Kind of a little bit scary (and found out that they didn't even need me... which was sad) but I'm hoping that the act of making the call will lead to more in the future, ya know?

How'd you do with your calls?

Last edited by Alexistrophic; 04-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #24  

Wow, volunteering with the Red Cross! Sounds like a great plan! What a great way to get out of your own head! I know what you mean. There's always stuff that pops up...regrets, thinking about going back to school, thinking about our future in general, comparing ourselves to others, mad how something turned out, not happy how we were raised, wishing we said or did things differently in a social event or in life, whatever the subject is in our heads this week. I know it's important to do different things or go outside our comfort zone occasionally. Volunteering is great for the mind and soul!

In fact, I was thinking of adding a pilates class 2x a week to the zumba and line dancing. Am I crazy?! When does that leave time to do my work?

About the calls, I've been procrastinating. I feel like their a little scary, too, and decided I don't need more pain right now. Why do I want to sign up for Pilates? Isn't that more pain, too? I guess I want to lose inches before summer. And I thought being more physical is way to get me out of MY head.

Super congrats on making the phone call! Sorry about them not needing a violinist. But you're right... something WILL come up!

Stay strong!

Last edited by tyla; 04-23-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #25  

Went to Zumba last night and it was a lot of fun. The room was crowded! The instructor just started dancing and we had to jump in... no instructions, just had to follow her movements. I was so exhausted last night and this morning, that I simply skipped the thought of a pilates class, too. I'm surprised it affected me like that. Usually when I go out dancing, I'm fine the next day, but this was something else. First of all, it's been extremely hot here in the western part of the US, so that's exhausting in itself. The temperature went from a short Spring to a hot Summer overnight!

Sending you lots of hugs for a great day! I could use a few of those, too, today. I just got a letter from the gym where I teach. Things are changing there. Looks like I'm losing my position. I'm kinda sad about that.

Talk to you soon.

Last edited by tyla; 04-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #26  

tyla

So sorry about your gym position. That's no fun at all. What do you teach again? And what percentage of your income is the gym gig? You know what they say about doors closing and windows opening... Trite, but true. And who knows but this temporary setback might make room for something bigger and better to come your way?

It warmed up here (northeast NJ) pretty quick, too, but it's cool again now thank goodness. I am not usually a fan of the hot weather. I don't really have a "shorts" kind of body just yet.

That "no instruction" Zumba class sounds a bit...abrupt ? I've taken both kinds (vocal instructions and just visual) and personally I like the instructions better. I've heard that Zumba's supposed to be non-verbal, but I'm not sure I buy that. Seems like it might just be easier for the instructor not to have to explain the movements... Hmmm...

Had orch rehearsal and it went loads better this week (thank goodness). I ran into the bassoon player (with whom I used to be on the town swim team ages ago...) while he was all stretching in the hallway. "I'm dying." He said. "So glad it's not just me." I said.

Relaxing with a mug of decaf before heading to bed...

Hope you have a good sleep and fantastic morning!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #27  

Hi Alexis!
I think you're right about the zumba instructor. It is a bit lazy on her part. (Another class that I took was not like that.) I kept up with her, because I was in the front row, watching her steps. However, the fan was blowing into my face! So I felt kind of sick the following day, with an ear ache. That's why I couldn't register for the Pilates class. My hubby thinks I am overdoing it, anyway.

I teach health and wellness classes, finding my own clients. Unfortunately, the places I've been teaching at are taking most of my money (60/40) and are struggling to keep their businesses alive. A sign that the economy is still not getting better here. The calls I wanted to make were to corporatations. I was thinking of teaching thru human resources, but I still need to do research how to do that. In the meantime, I worked on a resume last night.

I'm so impressed that you're in the orch and used to be on the swim team! So is this guy just a friend or could he lead to something else? In any event, it is always great to have another person you know in your group.

Good luck with your volunteering. You've got to tell me all the details!
Best of luck to you!

Last edited by tyla; 04-25-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #28  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Hi girls - joining this late, because I know I'll need help over the next few weeks before Memorial day. I've felt a little off since the beginning of April, between spending far too much time with family on vacation and having to stop running due to a foot injury... I haven't exercised for a week, and both my strength and my energy are suffering as a result. I also wonder that I may have gained a pound back in that time... my waist certainly looks bigger!

The last few days have been a mess -- too many restaurant meals with heavy/oily food = probably 500 over my limit every night. Today I've already eaten ~900 calories between 3 Clif bars and a light salad, and I don't feel full.

So worried this maintenance thing will end with completely falling off the wagon like every time before.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #29  

Welcome, daisy! I'm so glad you could join us! Sorry to hear about your foot injury. I've injured my foot before, so I know what you mean about not exercising and feeling off because of it.

Now that you here, you'll take better care of yourself. This is a place for accountability. Plus, we're in this together now. You'll be back to your exercise routine and original weight before you know it!

Best of luck to you!! (One step at a time.)

Last edited by tyla; 04-25-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #30  

Welcome, lackadaisy! I agree w. everything tyla said. We're here for accountability, a hug, or a kick in the pants. Sometimes all three! Looks like you've come so far already. How long have you been at your current (goal?) weight?

tyla~ That zumba class does not sound pleasant. Fan in the face= No fun. And it really does sound like a blessing in disguise that your position at the gym is being phased out. You can do so much better than 60/40. It sounds like an EXCELLENT idea to teach through human resources, but agree that it might be better to do the research first and then approach the companies. Give yourself a timeframe, though. Say by the end of the month, you'll have the info you need and be ready to make those calls. (I'm in a similar place, myself. I want to call a hospital's OT department to see if I can schedule an observation, but don't want to approach them until I'm sure what I'm going to say. My deadline is the end of this week, though!)

The volunteer orientation was pretty sedate. There were only three other people: a youth council kid, a guy on community service, and a bubbly dark-haired lady who just happens to be a physical therapist (I'm looking into occupational therapy, so of course, I grabbed her name and number). The Red Cross is such an awesome organization, too. I'm signing up to train to work on blood drives, fairs, disaster relief, CPR/Healthcare education, and development. I figure if I cast a wide net I have a better chance of actually being able to do something, schedule-wise.

And re: the orchestra guy... I'm just so not sure. I wouldn't be at all opposed to getting to know him better (would very much like that, actually) but I'm resolved to let guys approach me. He's actually come over (to the viola section) a few times just to say hi and I think he was about to ask for my phone #, but chickened out... We're friends on fb and I keep making these comments on his wall (maybe I should stop that...) but I'm trying to think of what else I can do to encourage him ... Grrrr... Men!

That being said (and this is turning into an epic update, but might as well keep going) I'm having coffee w. a guy friend from church on Friday. He's stationed at an army base somewhere down south and is up here for leave. I wouldn't have noticed him otherwise, but he started messaging me and I was like, sure, I'll answer your messages... Like having a pen pal. But really, if he's going to make advances, I am not going to discourage. Just not exactly sure what he means by all this. Again, I'm just treating this as a "pen pal" until he informs me otherwise.

~~~~

FOOD - Today was less than ideal. It started with the granola bars. Not on my plan and actually a "red light" food for me. No good. I ate when I probably ought to have talked, or had a mug of (decaf) coffee or tea. AND I ate after 8PM, which is part of my personal guidelines. Double not good. Sometimes it's so hard to keep focused and then you don't know it's coming until it's already here. Solution? Plan better. Win some, lose some. Drawing the line and moving on.

PLAN for tomorrow - No more granola bars! Simple as. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Nothing in between or after.

Hoping you ladies have a fantastic evening and wonderful morning!