Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #76  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Stupid stupid stupid stupid!!

I made a really stupid mistake yesterday (MY BIRTHDAY. great present to myself) and I'm paying for it. I don't think it's as serious as I thought though.

So even though it was my birthday I went to the gym because Saturdays are my heavy lifting days. Funny conversation with my mom about it ("It's your birthday!" "So? I'll see you later!") but whatever.

I get there and load up the bar like I usually do. I wanted to try 130lbs for my deadlift because last week I was able to do 115lbs again quite easily.

I don't think the bar was too heavy for me, I think it was the fact that I wasn't paying attention and did the deadlift wrong that did me in. I get too distracted fairly easily and I didn't pick up the bar right. My back protested but I corrected my form and did a few deadlifts before moving on to other exercises. As I was squatting my back started hurting A LOT so I cut my session short and waited around for the spin class to start.

The spin class was fine, I just couldn't quite do jumps all that well. I was able to use the kettlebell fine afterwards too. Throughout the day my back hurt, but I laid on a heating pad for a while and I was ok in the evening for my birthday dinner (Tripe at my favorite restaurant )

I woke up this morning feeling ok, but my back still hurts. It's not really painful or anything, just sore, as if it were a muscle and I had worked it hard or something. I also feel stiff.

I was able to take another spin class this morning where we use some light weights afterwards, but I found certain things I just couldn't do so I took it easy.

I'm really pissed at myself for doing this, but I'm hoping it isn't anything all that serious (I'm guessing if it was that I would be in excruciating pain?). I'm planning on skipping weight training this week and just doing bodyweight exercises. I'm guessing pull ups and chin ups won't aggravate my back.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #77  
threenorns

rule A number ONE PRIME in weightlifting: if you've done something wrong and you're feeling it, STOP.

don't do anything except very gentle stretches and maybe some swimming or walking for the next 3 days. at the end of that time, you'll know if you've really done some damage or if it was just a temporary glitch.

that means no bodyweight exercises, either - just leave it at walking, swimming, and stretches.

the last thing you want is to turn what was originally a minor issue into a major inflammation.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #78  
Leveling Up

Thanks threenorns.

I feel better today, just stiff. I feel like I need a good stretch until I hear a crack in my back. My mother has one of those exercise balls and I really just feel like lying back on it and stretching out. Not sure if that would help, but the chair at work isn't helping any either.

I'm still annoyed with myself. It seems like such a stupid mistake for me to make. At least I learned my lesson—pay attention!

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Felt really fatigued at the gym this morning ... not sore, just like my muscles were saying "meeeeh I don't want to do this!" I still finished, but I'm giving myself a break tomorrow - from both cardio and lifting. Hopefully Wednesday will be a better workout!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Hey guys! I'm back in the saddle!

Here's what I did today:
Dead lift 3 sets of 10 reps @40 lbs
Step ups 3/10 @ 30lbs
Push ups 3/10
Seated row 3/10 @ 70lbs

then 45 minutes on the elliptical
Hoping I can stay motivated like all of you!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #81  
threenorns

wtg, LisaTcan!

LovelyandLosing - you *are* taking one day off a week for total rest, right? that means go to the gym and sit in the hot tub for 3 sets of 12 reps. if you wish, you may also add 1 set of 15 reps with the masseuse.

sontaikle - that exercise with the ball is precisely what my chiropractor has me doing to rehab my sacroiliac (now, you wanna talk pita for fixing!? stupid thing is in the middle of pretty much everything you do so it takes *months* to progress and one - literally one! - wrong step can undo all of it in a flash).

how's this for stupid: i was in the middle of a major deadlift when my idiot friend said "OMG!!!! there's that guy you like!!!! the hot one!!!!" and, with the full weight hanging off my traps and not even close to lockout, what do i do?

yep: "where!? where!?" with my head making like a lighthouse.

that's really not a good thing to do.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #82  
Leveling Up

LOL threenorns you are too funny. I would love a set of reps with a masseuse!

I know it succckksss. You injure something with running and usually can get right back to it. Lifting I guess not so much. I didn't do anything yesterday and it drove. me. crazy. I wanted to do my usual run to the playground, do bodyweight stuff and run back. I walked around a bit and there was a voice in the back of my head whispering "just go to the playground and do some pull ups, it will be ok." and another saying "TAKE A BREAK OK ONE DAY WON'T MEAN ALL OF YOUR MUSCLE WILL WASTE AWAY." I seriously argued with myself for hours. I was having some pain later in the day so I just rested.

You know it's bad when you're tempted to DO exercise, rather than avoid it, right?

Hopefully this doesn't last much longer. I think I'm going to go crazy otherwise.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
wtg, LisaTcan!

LovelyandLosing - you *are* taking one day off a week for total rest, right? that means go to the gym and sit in the hot tub for 3 sets of 12 reps. if you wish, you may also add 1 set of 15 reps with the masseuse.
I do! Generally Saturdays ... and I actually got a massage after my run on Sunday! I found a place that does 30 min for $30 and they aren't afraid to really work your muscles. I've made it my weekly treat when I'm eating good and working out. :-)

I think I'm fatigued because I didn't get much sleep this weekend ... for no reason at all! I didn't even go out either night, I just stayed up late on Friday because I was into a novel, and Saturday shopping online for furniture ... I'm moving into my first apartment ALONE and am so excited!

I might lift tomorrow if I feel up to it ... going easy on myself today through thursday because I'm doing a juice cleanse ... I know, I know. I'm doing it as moral support for a good friend at work who is getting married in three weeks. If I feel weak I'll skip the dinner juice and have a normal dinner, she won't see me after work hours! ;-)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #84  
threenorns

aaaaah, okay - it's the juice cleanse. contrary to popular advertising, fasting or semi-fasting for more than a day or so is really hard on your system if you're exercising at the same time. until you're done the juice thing, you're better to limit yourself to walking or something similarly gentle.

sontaikle - if you still have pain tomorrow, make sure you get it checked. other things you can try are cold patches or ice bags wrapped in a towel. if cold is painful for you, try a heat rub or a hot wrap. you should also be taking an anti-inflammatory.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
aaaaah, okay - it's the juice cleanse. contrary to popular advertising, fasting or semi-fasting for more than a day or so is really hard on your system if you're exercising at the same time. until you're done the juice thing, you're better to limit yourself to walking or something similarly gentle.
I just started this morning, so that didn't explain the fatigue, I think it was the lack of sleep.

Also ... had green juice and coconut water for breakfast ... both are DISGUSTING ugh. Three days of this?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #86  
threenorns

oh, i love coconut water - the green juice doesn't sound very appetizing.

otoh, just think how lovely boring old diet food will taste after three days of it!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #87  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Doesn't the juice cleanse make you sh!t your pants and have to wear a diaper?

Thinking about lifting (arms and legs) and attempting to hit a Zumba class today, but by 5:45 it's FULL and they can't let more people in, so I don't think I have time. I guess I could yog and lift. I have such ADD at the gym - I'll do 10 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes cross trainer, 10 more minutes treadmill, but I can't stay put.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Hahaha - Krampus i'm dying laughing about your question, good luck with your crazy work day!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #89  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Bwahahhaa this is exactly why I don't even have a desire to touch a juice cleanse. The word "cleanse" conjures up images of things I do NOT want happening to my body!!!

I have gym ADD, too. I run, lift, run, lift, bike, lift, stare at the wall, jump around, lift... I'm sure everyone thinks I'm crazy. I can't handle doing something for more than 8 minutes before I'm itchy to get off and do something different. I feel your pain, Krampus!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #90  
say what?

I am soooo postphoning the weightlifting. Somebody tell me that 2 times a week is enough? I keep trying to do 3 times a week and I constantly only fit in 2 because I am somehow not too enthousiastic about it.

As to gym ADD, I so dont! I don't like switching things up. I rather jump on the elliptical and stay there for an hour. But I don't wanna look like one of those crazy women that goes nuts only on cardio to slim down. Even though I lift and run and swim. People at the gym don't know that. Maybe the lack of gym ADD is why I don't like lifting though? constantly having to change up what I do and go to the next move. Hihi. Have to figure out how to make it fun for myself.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote