Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default Feeling "featherweight" discouragement

So yeah. Even though I'm only 5'0", at 112 lbs I'm a pretty healthy weight. And yes, I know I have no reason to complain. But I figure fellow featherweights might understand.

I don't want to look just "ok" and "healthy." I want to look smokin' hot. lol And it seems like no matter how much I tweak my diet, I just can't drop these last few pounds.

Arg. I am frustrated. Just needed to vent.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #2  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I know what you mean. I am 5'4.5" (yes, that half inch matters! :P) and weigh 139. I lost 17lbs over the summer. It was really necesary because my BMI was at overweight. Now I am well within normal range but I feel icky in my body. Rationally I know I look fine. Nothing to worry about. But I just want to feel as nice as I did when I was at 125lbs.

Only, just that one motivator.. wanting to feel like that - doesn't seem to be enough to keep myself on plan. It goes so slow, and I constantly doubt if I am even able to do it. Get there. So yeh. UHG. How to motivate yourself when it doesnt matter so much but still it matters a little? Why is weightloss something you have to work so darn hard on. LOL.

If it's anything else that I care about a little, I work at it a little. The results are average and I am okay with that. But with loosing weight you can't work on it a little. There is no results with a little effort.

Last edited by philana; 01-17-2012 at 01:13 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #3  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
So yeah. Even though I'm only 5'0", at 112 lbs I'm a pretty healthy weight. And yes, I know I have no reason to complain. But I figure fellow featherweights might understand.

I don't want to look just "ok" and "healthy." I want to look smokin' hot. lol And it seems like no matter how much I tweak my diet, I just can't drop these last few pounds.

Arg. I am frustrated. Just needed to vent.
You probably can't lose any more weight because your body doesn't want to. To me, this sounds like a psychological issue rather than a weight-related issue. What exactly is "smokin' hot?" What is your basis for comparison? For you, you might want to focus on lifting weights and doing strength training, and not losing weight (because there probably isn't much weight to lose). The only way to get that kind of body is to do weight training or do something like Pilates.

I can understand how it can be frustrating but i really think at this point you need to focus on your muscle definition rather than weight loss. You don't want to look too skinny, and you definitely don't want to look gaunt or skeletal. and remember, a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat, so you'll look smaller if you're more defined.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

Ditto. I'm at a healthy, maintain-able weight, but I want a great body. I feel like this is the closest and most motivated I've ever been that I just have to keep going.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #5  
Neytiri Wannabe

I hear you! Most people would say I don't need to lose weight, but I've put on some extra pounds between being married and being middle aged. I want them OFF. I don't LIKE them. But getting them off can be a struggle. The worst part is how it's an emotional roller coaster at times. Sometimes I feel good, I'm making progress. But one or two slip ups and I'm in the dumps, certain I'll never look like I did five years ago. It takes tenacity and perseverance to keep going, but it's worth it.
PixieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #6  

Well... I do realize that after having two kids and reaching the ripe ol' age of 37, I will probably never see my high school weight again (around 100 lbs). Personally, I think I'd be happy at 108, or thrilled at 104.

And I do acknowledge that a little more exercise would do me good, especially for helping to change my body composition. I am not exactly the world's most motivated exerciser. lol

I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs since I'm basically talking about a few pounds. But when you're short like me, four pounds makes a difference.

Anyhoo... guess it's time to tighten up the ol' diet and get more exercise!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is a book by Jillian Michaels called "Making the Cut". In it, she talks about what is different about losing the last 5-10 lbs as opposed to losing a larger amount. The strategies you need to employ are just a little different, the intensity of the exercise, etc. Jillian's argument is that "vanity pounds" are a totally different animal to lose, compared to actual pounds of overweight. You might check it out!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/122/119

Height: 5'7.5"

What are you doing for exercise and how often? If I do 30 min of cardio 5x per week with a sprinkling of pilates I stay near my "fantasy" weight. If I don't do that and eat a lot of cake and enjoy too many cocktails, my weight creeps up. I also want to say I totally understand where you are coming from.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I lost my weight fluidly. It all came off in about three months. But I lift weights, and have for decades. For me, I think that was key. Once I changed my diet so I wasn't counteracting my exercise with my calorie intake, the weight fell off. And, when I lost it, I was 36/37 years old. I weigh less now than I did as a high school senior. So it is possible, but I don't think diet alone would have been as effective for me, just as exercise alone never helped me get down to where I wanted to be.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 01-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #10  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Well... I do realize that after having two kids and reaching the ripe ol' age of 37, I will probably never see my high school weight again (around 100 lbs). Personally, I think I'd be happy at 108, or thrilled at 104.

And I do acknowledge that a little more exercise would do me good, especially for helping to change my body composition. I am not exactly the world's most motivated exerciser. lol

I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs since I'm basically talking about a few pounds. But when you're short like me, four pounds makes a difference.

Anyhoo... guess it's time to tighten up the ol' diet and get more exercise!
I'm the same way, I'm 5'4 and if I lose 10 lbs, it looks like I've lost a lot more. I second the suggestion to get Jillian Michaels' book, it could really come down to exercising and toning and strength training for you.

And I would kill to be 112lbs at 37 after two kids. You are damn lucky, lady.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Lift weights, lift weights, lift weights.

Seriously... I wear mostly 6's now and I'm still 12lbs into the overweight category. I also have pictures of me before lifting weights and after lifting weights when I was 185lbs and there is a DRASTIC difference (even something like 1-2 sizes different at that point).

Lift weights.

I'm not surprised that you're having a hard time losing weight at such a low body weight when you're not exercising enough. I have a number of my family members at or around your height and the absolutely key for them is consistent exercise to maintain their body weight.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #12  

Yeah, you guys are right. When I say I'm not motivated to exercise... well... for the last few months that means NO exercise. lol

Taking care of two young kids makes it harder. Once the weather gets nicer, we'll be able to go outside for long walks. And I do try to squeeze out a few pushups, squats, etc. a few times a week.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

I'm in the exact same boat as you, I complain that I'm not happy with my (totally healthy) weight and I'm trying losing the last 10 lbs..but I haven't been working out at all! I think that exercise really is necessary for losing vanity weight.

Last edited by LisaTcan; 01-18-2012 at 10:09 AM.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Yeah, you guys are right. When I say I'm not motivated to exercise... well... for the last few months that means NO exercise. lol

Taking care of two young kids makes it harder. Once the weather gets nicer, we'll be able to go outside for long walks. And I do try to squeeze out a few pushups, squats, etc. a few times a week.
Why wait for the weather to be nicer? I'm a working mom with a young daughter too, so I get the struggles of finding time but there's a lot you can do even at home with kids. Some things I try (especially if DH is traveling so I know I'm not going to have a chance to go to the gym):

- 30 Day shred, just requires 20 min and can be done after the kids are asleep
- pushups, lunges, shadow boxing, leg lifts... even get your kids to join it. Even if you just have a minute to do them it's better than not doing anything at all
- use your kids as weights! I bench press DD at times or if your kids are still really young put them in a carrier and do chores
- clean more than ususal
- do physical play with the kids: skipping, jumping, jump rop, wheelbarrows (where you hold their legs and walk around), tag etc
- get hand weights and use them to basic things when you have a minute or two or after the kids are in bed

It might not be the same as hitting the gym but it can certainly help. Also, do you have a partner that could help out with the kids? DH used to complain about lack of time to workout but through tag team parenting we've really made workouts a pŕiority. We switch of every other day to go to the gym and double up on weekends.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I love Krista Scott Dixon! Here's a link to a page called 'workout for the time poor'.
http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-for-the-time-poor
There's also a workout called 'no weights? no problem'
Lots of good ideas and funny! I cringe a little at the language once in a while but the over-all content is wonderful!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote