Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #1  
whimsical and redheaded

S/C/G: Current:128.8 Goal:125

Height: 5'6''

Default Best video exercises?

I know that losing weight isn't the only element of having the body shape you want. Obviously your muscle tone contributes a great deal to the equation. There are three portions of my body in which I'd like to see a significant change (underarms, butt, stomach), and I'd like to start toning them now so that they're ready when the last stubborn pounds melt away!

In other words,I'd love to hear your recommendations for free videos online! I also have Netflix, so if you know of any exercise video gems on that service, please let me know. If you're unable to post links because of the new member restrictions, please do give me names or phrases by which I can Google your video recommendation.

What I'm looking to sculpt:

Underarms ( I'd like them to be taught and toned )
Butt ( I'd like to have more of one)
Stomach (I'd like to have the muscles cut in at the waist and be flat on the front)
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I go to the library and get new videos every week, to keep things interesting. I like the Biggest Loser videos because they generally include both cardio and toning exercises, including ones with hand weights.

However, I think your post shows that you're decieved by one of the top ten exercise myths (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...ise-myths.html).

Namely:

"1. You can exercise away – ‘spot reduce’ - fat deposits.
Unfortunately, we can’t target our problem areas through exercise. Exercise can strengthen specific muscle groups like abs and thighs, but can’t make the fat on top of those muscles go away. Fat will disappear only when we create a calorie deficit by eating less and moving more. Fat tends to be lost from problem areas last of all!"

I think your best option is not to focus on specific areas, but to work on overall fitness and tone. Mixing it up like I do with many videos can help you with that.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-19-2011 at 03:07 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6

I agree with the above poster: you cannot spot-reduce any body part, no matter how hard you try. You just need to move more and eat a little less.

Videos: I like the ones that the gym, 'Crunch' puts out. There are many to choose from.

About the flat stomach: you need to get down to at least 20% (or less) body fat before your stomach will basically be flat with some 'v-cut' definition. Besides exercising to melt the pounds away, your diet has to be on point as well. Meaning that refined sugar/processed food should be kept to a bare minimum and drink lots of water. This is what helped me to blast away my belly fat.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #4  
whimsical and redheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
However, I think your post shows that you're decieved by one of the top ten exercise myths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
I agree with the above poster: you cannot spot-reduce any body part, no matter how hard you try. You just need to move more and eat a little less.
"I'd like to start toning them now so that they're ready when the last stubborn pounds melt away!"

If you have a gander at my original post, I'm not looking to spot-reduce. I'm looking to tone the muscles so that when the fat is gone, they look good!

Thank you for the recommendations. <3

Last edited by Penelope; 08-19-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #5  
New2disButTrue2dis

S/C/G: 185/223/165

Height: 5'6"

P90x Rocked For Me Unitl I Got Lazy!
Time2GetFine82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #6  

I did look at your original post and you still can't really say where the fat, pounds and/or inches will come off first from. I wanted my belly flat too with some 'v-cut' definition and the only thing that got me there (exercise-wise) was whole body cardio - i.e running. The fat melted away from every part of me not just my tummy. That's all I'm saying. Just be on point with diet and exercise regularly and you'll get there. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #7  
whimsical and redheaded

Erm... I'm not looking to reduce fat in specific places. I am looking to TONE specific places. My original post specifically says I want to tone those areas so that when the fat goes away they look tip-top. The quote I posted from the original post says exactly that.

So while I appreciate the truth of the statements you and Kelly315 offered, that's really not what I'm looking to do in the first place. I'm fully aware you can't decide where you lose weight from first!

"I'd like to start toning them now so that they're ready when the last stubborn pounds melt away!"

So moving on from spot-reduction (because that's not my goal!), does anyone have any other great recommendations for videos that tone those spots?

Last edited by Penelope; 08-19-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you have a good basis in strength training, I like Jackie Warner's videos. The problem is, she does her reps REALLY FAST. They are very effective exercises, but it can be hard to do the reps as fast as she does without 1) going too low with your weight or 2) losing your form (both bad). So I do her exercises, but go at maybe 2/3 of her pace if I have trouble keeping up.

Side note: have you checked your library for exercise DVDs? Mine has a collection of them for free.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #9  

Penelope: Point taken but I'd like to um, add, if I may, that not everyone can tone their stomach (or other body parts) to how they specifically want it to look -- a lot is due to genetics. Not every person has 'v-cuts' on their stomach, it depends on your height, the length of your torso, how your abdominal muscles are formed which are things beyond your control. Heck, I want arms like a female tennis player but am I going to get them? Um...probably not because I'm just not built like that, lol. My point is this: just be realistic and you won't be disappointed. Sorry to derail the thread, carry on.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #10  
whimsical and redheaded

Fitmom: That's definitely true. I am going to try to be content with the best 'me' I can be within my personal bodily limitations. I definitely sympathize with the wistful longing for something that may not be possible!We have ALL been there. I'm going to try to be realistic and celebrate my body!

Mandalinn82: A library? Full of actual tangible media?! Hehe. I will definitely have to take a look.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

I don't have any suggestions for free ones online, though it could be worth trying out the netflix ones to see which ones you like. That's one of the most important things with videos, it has to be one you like and want to do.

If you're willing to put aside a little money I would suggest Quick Fix DVDs and Billy Blanks ones, those are my favorites.

Honestly if you have a specific goal of what muscles you want toned and how, you may want to spring for a personal trainer. May not be what you want to hear but no exercise video will be able to tailor to your bodies specific needs.

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I second the Billy Blanks series. Especially the Ultimate Bootcamp DVD. Without the bands this one is a killer - still waiting on my Billy Bands to arrive to add extra (punishment) intensity.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Little View Post
I second the Billy Blanks series. Especially the Ultimate Bootcamp DVD. Without the bands this one is a killer - still waiting on my Billy Bands to arrive to add extra (punishment) intensity.
I have the bootcamp elite (with the bands) and yeah it's killer even without the bands!

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I know you asked for videos, and you have some suggestions there...but for the ultimate in free, you don't even need a video. Work your way through some of these, for example:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/t...ictraining.htm

In terms of your particular problem areas listed:

Underarms - Not sure if you mean the actual underarm area, or the tricep area. For the muscles wrapping around your sides and in the underarm, pushups are awesome. If you're talking about the underside of your actual arm (tricep), dips on a chair are essentially equipment free and will work that area.

Butt ( I'd like to have more of one) - Squats, lunges, and all of their variations (Standard, chair, sumo, wall, and one-legged squats, front, side, back, and curtsy lunges). You can also do hip bridges, which can work hamstring and glute if you squeeze at the top.

Stomach (I'd like to have the muscles cut in at the waist and be flat on the front) - I firmly believe that abs are made in the kitchen. So that's more getting your overall body fat down, and as you said, you can't decide where it comes off first. But I love incorporating stabilizing moves into my lower body work (so for example, a back lunge into a front knee raise, which works your core because you have to balance on one leg and use ab muscle to assist in lifting the knee raise leg up).

If I'm not working from a video, I find it useful to build a workout in a written document (either in Word or on a piece of paper). I write out the exercises I intend to do in order. Usually I build my workouts to alternate between upper body and lower body moves, which means I can move faster through different exercises and don't spend as much time resting. This gives a greater calorie burn overall, resulting in overall body fat percentage decreases. So for example, I might do the following:

Squat
Lateral Raise
(repeat 1 set of each before switching back to the other exercise, do 3 sets total without stopping)

Rear Lunge with Knee Raise
Tricep Dip on Chair
(repeat 1 set of each before switching back to the other exercise, do 3 sets total without stopping)

Hip Raise
Pushups
(repeat one set of each...etc)

Chest Press
Chest Fly
Bicycle Crunch
Alternating Scissor
(repeat one set of each...etc)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #15  
whimsical and redheaded

Kakers & Precious Little: I'll definitely look into the Billy Blanks materials. I was already considering getting resistance bands to enhance my daily exercises! I don't have enough money to spring for a personal trainer yet, but perhaps in the future.

Mandalinn82: Absolutely brilliant. I love the strategy of going from upper to lower to keep the movement going at a faster rate. I'm definitely going to try out the workout you listed above today, once I have a moment to study what some of the moves are! You are such a peach to spend the time to put that together.

Last edited by Penelope; 08-20-2011 at 02:33 PM.