Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Seasonal exercise regime

I was curious if any of you ladies switch up your exercise regime due to the changing seasons, particularly those of you who workout outdoors.

Once November rolls around, my running shoes will have to be hung up until next April because the winters by me are brutual. So I'm planning on jumping rope for my cardio and HIIT. But I'll still do my strength training, core work and Pilates. Other than that, my routine won't change much except for when I workout.

I am seriously thinking of making all my workouts in the early afternoon since my two sons will both be in school at that time. My younger one starts kindergarten and it's only half-day - in the afternoon. For the first time in almost a decade I will have the hours of 11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. completely and totally child-free during the week.

So, I figured that once I usher my DS (the younger one since the older one goes to school at 8:30 a.m.) onto the bus, I can do my workouts immediately upon him being whisked off to school. Then I can shower and have a snack before they come home. Besides, the evenings probably wouldn't work for me anymore since after-school activities, homework, dinner and bathtime pretty much encompass the hours of 3:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. when they go to bed. And mornings might be a problem because I have to usher my older son off to school.

What about you? How does your routine change? Or doesn't it?

Last edited by fitmom; 08-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #2  

Height: 5'0"

When my kids are in school (4 years from now!), I will definitely have a late-morning exercise time. That's early enough for me to feel like I did something productive in the morning, but late enough for me to feel actually awake.

I definitely prefer running outside, and my outside runs won't change when the cold weather hits. I just bundle up really really good. (A few years ago when I was running full-time, I would run around my neighborhood wearing a black old-fashioned ski mask... the kind with just the eyes, nose and mouth cut out of a knit hood. I looked like I was running away from a burglary. lol). I am a gear junkie, so I have all kinds of cold weather running gear. The winters here get cold and snowy, but not brutal though.

As I am not yet fully into a running regime (ok... so I am not even semi into a running regime), I suspect it will be fall/winter before I am even regularly exercising. My guess is 2-3 runs a week will be treadmill, with only one outside. I also plan to have a weight lifting program firmly in place, which of course I will do inside.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #3  

Gosh, you're like me five years ago, lol. Anyway, if I ran through my neighborhood (jumping over the sky-high ice and snowpiles) dressed like you my hubby and two sons would be doubled over in laughter. Wow, I'm impressed because that's dedication and hardcore at the same time. I so wish I could run in the cold weather but this past winter we had a snowstorm (to the tune of 1-2 ft) every Tuesday for like 6 weeks. Not a pretty sight. I didn't see anyone out driving let alone jogging. BTW, the good thing about kids is that they keep growing, lol. Enjoy them while they are home with you because you'll turn around and they'll be going to school for 6 hours.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-04-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 124/123/115

Height: 5'1"

Yes, I quit walk-jogging when the weather got too hot and humid. It made me focus more on weight lifting (inside) which is better for me anyway. For a while I went after DD was in bed, but now it's still too hot out at 8:30 pm.
Amy3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #5  

I go early in the morning like 5 a.m. to jog - it's like usually 70 degrees by me then. Plus, my DH's home to watch the kids.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #6  

Height: 5'0"

Yeah, if I remember correctly, fitmom, you're above DC, right? I'm west of Frederick. I think the mountains keep us from getting as much snow as you guys get. I remember blizzard after blizzard in Balt/DC a year or two ago, though.

I have trouble running outside in the summer, too. I hate hot weather and am not an early bird. Its been sooooooo freakin' hot this summer. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am not really running yet, so I easily escape the heat. lol
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #7  

Yes, I'm most definitely above D.C. Because of the awful winter we had, I am loving the warm weather this summer including the humidity. I just came back from Florida and loved the sun beating down on me, lol. The older I get, I realize that the winters are just not for me. My DH keeps telling me we're going either west to CA or south to Florida when my youngest goes to college in 12 years. Can't wait.