Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Are you sexy?

Do any of your Feathers think of yourself as sexy since starting your weight loss journey?

I have never, ever thought of myself as sexy. It was always part of my downfall I think, it led to such poor self-esteem. When someone of the opposite sex would compliment me (even when I was single) I never believed them. I always thought they were laughing behind my back. Seriously. I associated sex appeal with lots of womanly curves i.e. Kim Kardashian. I never imagined being somewhat athletic could be construde as sexy IMO. Also, considering that I'm the only female in my house, it's hard to feel feminine when a lot of the times, I feel like 'just one of the guys', lol.

Five years ago, I would've said that a pair of stilettos and silky lingerie was sexy. But now, I'm kind of rethinking that, lol. I caught a glimpse of myself in the hallway mirror when I came back from my run the other day, hair matted down under my baseball hat, sweat running down my face, no makeup on and just a big 'ole mess and I actually felt sort of sexy, lol.

I'm starting to learn that less is more as I age. I feel sexy after I get done with a hard workout. Weird or what?

What do you all think?

Last edited by fitmom; 07-20-2011 at 12:45 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've started having more "sexy moments" since I've been getting more fit, too.

I still don't think I look "sexy" overall, and I'm shocked when I find out someone else thinks I do. But once in a while I think "oh, ok, that's not so bad."

If I ever get to your level of leanness, I think I'd definitely feel sexy, at least some of the time.

And if you had any doubt that strong=sexy, check out the "Team Gorilla" ladies:
http://wildgorillaman.blogspot.com/
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
I have close to zero sexy right now. But I acknowledge when I'm looking good.
This is how I feel. In clothes, I feel I look good most of the time. Still have my bad days. Last night I went clothes shopping because I wanted something other than jeans, capris and cargo pants in my closet. I tried on a beautiful sleeveless dress and -- blah -- TERRIBLE. Not even remotely sexy. But tomorrow morning I am going to go to the gym, sweat up a storm and run to the bathroom to see if I find sexy staring back at me!

And I giggled at what Brown wrote because being overweight in sweats IS dumpy. But being 50 pounds lighter in sweats can be down right adorable!

I'm glad you found your sexy fitmom!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I've gained a bit of weight after maintaining for a few years, and for the first time, I FEEL SEXY! I have more confidence than I've ever had in my life, and I attribute it to my nutritionist (even if I gained 10bs in the year since I've started seeing her).
I am fabulous
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
If I ever get to your level of leanness, I think I'd definitely feel sexy, at least some of the time.

I thought when I got my weight down and thus, leaned out that I would automatically feel sexy, not so. All those years of being frumpy and 'skinny fat' really played havoc on my body image. Sometimes, I swear, I still see 'her' when I look in the mirror, lol. My brain has only begun to catch up with my body.

I've come to believe that sexy is a state of mind. I have friends who outweigh me whose self-esteem is through the roof, for real. What can I say? I'm a perpetual work-in-progress.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-20-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #6  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Yes I feel sexier now!

But truthfully, a part of me felt beautiful at any size which is part of the reason it took me so long to buckle down and lose the weight. At any size, I still took the time to do my hair and be dressed well. I sat up and had good posture. The reason being I didn't want people to equate me with being sloppy. It's funny what I saw in the mirror and what really was reflecting in photographs (much to my dismay)
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl2Day View Post
...part of me felt beautiful at any size which is part of the reason it took me so long to buckle down and lose the weight... It's funny what I saw in the mirror and what really was reflecting in photographs (much to my dismay)
Yeah! This! I managed to be in denial for a good long while about what unflattering photos revealed. Still am, to an extent, but I think at this point that "denial" might be "healthy" because I actually am well within the parameters of "healthy."

I'm really vain and have successfully faked it until I believed it. It works almost all the time, but it comes crashing down when someone points out the things I am insecure about. What's really helped is learning how to dress myself and getting fancied up even if I feel like Jabba the Hutt's ugly stepsister. Just because I'm having a fat day or don't like something jiggly doesn't mean I should punish myself by wearing an unflattering outfit and crappy makeup too!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #8  

I thought I let you ladies know that today I'm not feeling one ounce of sex appeal. Zero. Nada. Nothing. It's hot here like 100 degrees, my hair is frizzy and my makeup is runny. I just feel blah. LOL. I've gotta go do my workout so I can 'get my sexy back'...wherever it may be.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/159/169

Height: 5'6.5''

Well, fitmom, can't feel sexy everyday..the world couldn't handle it!
singing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #10  

Height: 5'0"

I used to feel sexy all the time when I was younger (15 lbs lighter and pre-kids lol). I had a pretty well-proportioned body: nice legs, flat tummy, nice rack. I wore lots of cute clothes that showed off my assets.

Once I started packing on the pounds, though, I stopped feeling sexy. I switched to oversized shirts and baggy pants, and just generally felt like a lump. I've been feeling this way for so long, I'm not sure if I'd know what it feels like to feel sexy again.

That's probably my "intangible" goal: I'd like to feel sexy again. I want to walk into a room and feel like I own it (and every guy in it lol) again. It's terribly vain and definitely shallow, and I hate the part of me that needs external validation to boost my self esteem, but that's part of who I am, and I've come to accept it.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #11  

banananutmuffin: I don't think it sounds shallow or vain at all. I'm the same way especially since having kids. I need validation from my hubby that I'm still the girl that turned his head all those years ago in the college cafeteria, lol. I didn't have as nice of a body as you - boyishly-built, no waist, skinny fat but I will admit that my rack was pretty nice back then.

I recently went to the mall and bought some lingerie which I haven't done in like at least a decade. My hubby was pretty surprised (it was tasteful, I am a mom after all, lol) b/c he knows I wasn't the most confident person when it came to my body. I was like, "this is me and here I am."

I have to admit that part of my motivation is I'm turning 40 this year and I flat-out refused to be a frumpy, middle-aged mom with a muffin-top. I want younger folks to know that being a little older doesn't necessarily mean that your looks automatically fall by the wayside.

BTW, still not feeling sexy in 100 degree heat, lol.