Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #1  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Default I feel like an imposter being here but I have a question

Technically I can be considered a "featherweight" since I am within 10 pounds of my (hopefully final) goal but my brain is not wrapped around that yet. I still feel hefty which is why I feel like an imposter being here. But here is my issue my and question to you all ---

I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable in my body. Physically, I mean. I was able to drive from VA to FL (18 hours) with no issues. Now, I can't even drive an hour without my butt killing me! I'm also a fetal position sleeper and I can't keep my knees together anymore. I toss and turn a lot during the night so soccer knee pads is what I have been reduced to because they don't shift around like pillows or blankets. Sexy, right? Good thing my cat doesn't care.

So how do you deal with the butt pain issue now that you don't have the buffer of fat? I don't want to carry around a pillow but is that my only option? Do you just get used to it? A friend of mine suggested one of those donut cushions but who wants others to think they have a permanant case of hemorroids??

And just sitting here in bed typing this I have readjusted myself 4 times. I'm really uncomfortable. Help! Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 05-14-2011 at 09:20 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have pain in my hips, too or butt if you prefer. I went to the doctor and after tests it is determined it is plain old arthritis. You can get arthritis at any age and it is very painful.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #3  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

I understand that a pillow shifts, but that's what I use between my knees. I take advantage of pillows whenever they are available, or if I am making a long trip I take a pillow with me. I also stand up for a while if needed. People aren't weirded out or anything -- they can imagine that it's uncomfortable without padding back there.

Sleeping has become progressively harder for me, as there's discomfort overall. I've researched, I don't know, I guess "body pillows" online, but have found nothing. I've gotten used to it overall, but some days it just seems worse than others. But yeah, I'm not ashamed to grab a pillow to sit on wherever there is one available.

Last edited by fivestone; 05-14-2011 at 11:48 PM.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximena View Post
I was browsing this, try MSM for arthritis pain relief.

I take this for softer skin.
Thanks.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #5  

I always sleep with a pillow between my legs! and once i hit the lower 120s my hip bones stick out and def hurt when i lie on my stomach. little things like that, unfortunately, are just things you gradually get used to.

there are definitely seat cushion things you can get for your car that help a lot, and that don't look weird!
Born This Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have never been technically overweight so I can't compare pre- versus post-weight loss, but I've always had pain sitting long periods of time (esp in a deep seat, such as a car) and sleeping on my side. They have to do with joint problems I've always had unrelated to weight. I don't know if your pain is related to your changing body or other issues, but I'd keep an eye on them. Use a pillow between your knees if you are a side sleeper (also under your stomach if you are a stomach sleeper- it's better for your back), and a pillow/cushion to sit on or behind your back when driving (whatever is more comfortable). Again, keep an eye on things- like an earlier poster said it could be related to posture or other joint issues. Hopefully not but always good to be mindful and make sure other symptoms don't progress
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #7  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I think you will get used to it after being at your new weight for a while until then you can use a pillow in the car since noone will really see that. I sleep with a blanket in bed it doesn't slide as much as a pillow.
By the way you definetly belong in the featherweights!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

In the last month, I have noticed the same issues, especially while sitting in a stadium seat at a MLB game and wooden bleachers at Little League practice. I sleep with a pillow between my knees.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #9  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I've been having a real rough time with my tail bone lately, myself. I usually shower, but I took a bath today for the first time in ages and OMG that hard floor of the tub was a killer! The other thing that's been bugging me is when I'm cuddling with dh and he's behind me and drapes his arm over my hip - my hip bone meeting his arm bone just feels all pokey!
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I had to buy chair pads for all the chairs in my house way before I got to goal. When I told my always-skinny friend about this, she said, "Welcome to my world." My mom has always used pillows in the car, partly because the seats in her old Chrysler seem to be shaped more for wide-load middle age men.

But I have been noticing the discomfort with "bony" knees and hips in bed too, only the last 10lb or so. I am glad you brought it up! I was thinking it was kind of weird. I have a memory-foam cover on my bed and before that always seemed like total comfort, and now I am thinking about maybe adding a featherbed to it. I think the fat redistributed itself around a bit too after the last 15lb. It shifted away from my upper arms and butt and on to my belly. So maybe that has something to do with the "bony" feeling even though i am still pretty well padded to the eyes in most parts.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

It was tough for a while. I'm a big squirmer. I can't sit still. I'm always cold so I move around a lot to try to keep warm. But I've gotten used to it. I get bruises a lot because of my bones hitting other parts of my body. My legs are the worse because my knees will hit when I toss and turn at night. But considering that I no longer have too much fat that it makes moving and tossing and turning challenging, it's not so bad.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #12  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I don't think I have been heavy enough to have comfortable fat padding on my butt/hips (especially bc I only really gain on my stomach and waist). But I don't really find sitting to be a problem, given occasional weight-shifting and reasonable posture. I think most thin people are fairly active fidgeters (research shows high baseline activity is associated with healthy weight), and that helps.

And I sleep like a log, so I have no comment on feeling uncomfortable during the night... you do have a cushy/comfortable mattress, right? If you used a fairly firm mattress before, maybe you could invest in a soft mattress pad? They're about $50-100 for nice quilted versions.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote