Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 126.5/113/110

Height: 4'11

Eliana, thanks for the response! I deleted the post. It was nice to vent it all out but I realized it was just too long. It's hard to believe there are people out there like that, isn't it? It's like living under a microscope. But I am looking forward to change next year. I do have a few good friends but even they seem to be wrapped up in their own stuff to notice any changes. But it's fine as long as I see that scale move, I am happy! And I get what you mean about fitting in. When I started to get heavier, it seemed like all the people around me were, too. It was like some weird collective mindset that if we were all gaining weight, then it was okay or something.
Lisa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #32  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Lisa, I just saw your weight on your ticker...WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniFluffy View Post
Anorexia is a very serious disorder that has a whole slew of symptoms/comorbidities associated with it. The most noticeable being lack of energy, avoidance of social interactions and depression.
I hope by that showing those around you that you are truly comfortable with yourself, in the skin you are in right now, will gradually change people's perception.
I also think that a basic way for an individual to grasp his/her world, is to take itself as a reference point: whatever the individual does is considered normal behavior, a self-norm of some sorts. Consequently, whenever an aquaintance differs drastically from that self-norm, the first instinct will be to think that they have a problem.
If there is no "truly normal" environment (healthy weight) against which to weight that self-norm, then individuals will keep assigning their acquaintances a "problem label".
I think I did not get harassed because of my weight when I was young, partly because of that. I might have had different eating habits than a lot of people, but when compared to the groups I was part of (competitive sports, uni), I was quite normal weight and food wise.
Mini, your first paragraph is exactly why I am so offended with the anorexia accusation. If I am in the fitness industry (fitness=health) I should very much NOT be anorexic. It's like telling a major league baseball player he sux at hitting. It's like, "what would you know?".

One recent anorexia comment was from a physical education teacher. She is supposed to be trained at identifying kids who may have such disorders. And IMO, she should also talk the talk AND walk the walk, meaning, I expect our PE teachers to have some semblance of fitness, which she most certainly does not. However, I would never in a million years point that out to HER coworkers!

It sux, tho, coz I thought she was my friend.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 126.5/113/110

Height: 4'11

krampus thanks! yesterday, I actually weighed 112 but it was fleeting! But I am still holding steady at 113 so for now, I'll take it! I am planning a slumber party for my daughter's 11th bday (tomorrow night is the party) so I think the running around and stress has contributed to the weight loss! Nine tweens sleeping over, lord help me! BTW- I love your new picture!

In regards to this whole thread about comments like being "too skinny" from others...long story short, I have to say that in my experience, people just love to have their say. Whether it is welcomed or not. I have gotten more opinions about stuff (highly personal stuff) and I didn't even ask for an opinion! How about people asking me why I don't have any more children? They tell me how nice it would be for my daughter to have a sibling. Wow. Why don't I have any more children? Isn't that probably one of the most personal things you can ask someone? The answer is that I nearly died in childbirth. Massive blood transfusion, hysterectomy, and 3 days in ICU. That usually shuts them up.

People just love to hear themselves talk. I was in sales for years. Best sales tip I ever got from a manager - don't say anything. Just let people talk. Let me tell you, it works.

And never rise to someone else's rudeness or stupidity. Be polite. Walk away. You will leave them stunned and look like the better person. If you show that they got to you, they won.
Lisa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #35  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It seems to me people just need to be more educated on anorexia, especially a gym teacher who's supposed to be trained to look for such things! I wish people would stop just throwing it around. It's hard to know on a message board, so I stand by my earlier statement that around here we do tend to worry. We can't SEE the person nor watch their behaviors. In person though, there are often signs that a person is anorexic outside of their physical appearance.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote