Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

View Poll Results: Low carb dieters: compared to other diets, how successful was this foodstyle?
Triumphantly successful 4 26.67%
Successful 10 66.67%
Moderately 1 6.67%
Unsuccessful and it made me hissy 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Low carb-ers? Primal dieters?

Anyone read Gary Taubes' books and trying a low carb or primal-type diet? I recently gave up flours, rice, and have been subsiding on mostly protein, veggie, nuts, and occasional fruit. I don't subscribe to any "low-fat" processed foods, including yogurt, milk, energy bars etc. I don't calorie count. I don't count anything... I've been doing this for three weeks now, w/o exercising (which will resume this week). Broke out of my weight plateau (I've lost 4lbs) , so I'm pleased, but still trekking.

I should emphasize that I don't religiously adhere to any diet principal, but am exploring this approach to eating (i.e. occasional binge is totally cool).

Anyone in similar boat? Wanna lend your two cents?

Last edited by whiningawayxz; 03-08-2011 at 04:48 PM.
whiningawayxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiningawayxz View Post
I recently gave up flours, rice, and have been subsiding on mostly protein, veggie, nuts, and occasional fruit.
Yes, I've read Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories. Sounds like you are doing well, but you must add FATS! Avocado, coconut oil and milk, grass fed butter, olive oil, eggs, etc.

We have a thread. Feel free to join us. Mark's Daily Apple and Robb Wolf's websites and forums are enormously helpful as well. And, I like Sarah's Everday Paleo for recipe ideas. Finally, here's a thread where I list some of the reasons I love the primal/paleo lifestyle (I'm almost a year in now and won't be going back... ever )

Last edited by walking2lose; 03-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Sorry, yes, I eat plenty of fats. All of those you mentioned. They play a major part in my fam's diets. Fantastic, glad to hear there's a thread I can refer to. Thx for the links, I will be sure to check those out.
whiningawayxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

That's great, and yes, please do join us!

I really must go for my walk now. Boy, I spent a lot of time on here today
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Yes, I've read Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories. Sounds like you are doing well, but you must add FATS! Avocado, coconut oil and milk, grass fed butter, olive oil, eggs, etc.

We have a thread. Feel free to join us. Mark's Daily Apple and Robb Wolf's websites and forums are enormously helpful as well. And, I like Sarah's Everday Paleo for recipe ideas. Finally, here's a thread where I list some of the reasons I love the primal/paleo lifestyle (I'm almost a year in now and won't be going back... ever )
What she said
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

We don't eat Paleo every meal (I just had waffles for breakfast :>), but I love how I feel when I do. Getting to the next meal is a breeze, I'm not hungry, have a lot of energy, and no cravings. For me that's why it's successful. Not to mention no bloating.

My favorite paleo recipes is a stuffed portabello mushroom (with ground beef and sausage). I serve it with some sort of green veggie. So satisfying.

I couldn't give up ice cream and milk/cream in my coffee forever, but I find the paleo principals to be sound.
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote