Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166.5/158.5/137

Height: 5'7"

Default New to Forum :) and question about motivation

Hi Everyone,

I just joined 3FC and I have about 20lbs that I would like to lose to get to my "happy weight". I have been reading the threads for a little while now and finally decided to join and I am really excited to be able to share my experiences, make new friends and learn new tips as well as be there for others!

For the past week I have had absolutely NO motivation to go to the gym. I was going strong and working out daily (with one rest day) then all of a sudden I just lost all motivation :/ Does anyone have any tips on how they deal with lack of motivation and that "so close to goal but so far away" mentality?

Thanks!
K1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #2  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Oh my goodness, I'm like that too. I used to never stick to my workout plans until this go-around of weight loss.

I like using a software for calorie counting and exercise tracking (I use LoseIt, but FitDay works really well too, I think?). The numbers geek in me is always fighting to see how much extra "deficit" of calories I can save while still meeting my baseline nutrition goals in fiber, protein, fat/carb ratio, and total calories -- so I have to work out. That is: I can't starve myself because I want to eat 80g protein a day, but I still want to be at 1000 net calories for the day, so! Now I have to burn 300 calories by jogging for an hour. DAMMIT, I might say in the evening, I don't WANNA. But it gets done.

There are also ways to get other people to motivate you: accountability threads on 3FC, a gym buddy (with whom you can do circuit training), romantic jogs with a significant other.

My favorite source of motivation is a fitness goal like a race or event that you simply have to train for in order to be in shape to attend -- a 5k or 10k, a major hike, an bike marathon, etc. That way, your weight goals and whether you gained weight from lifting yesterday (you will) won't affect your motivation.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

lackadaisy, I just started using LoseIt as well and it's awesome! I highly recommend that for keeping yourself motivated.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

K1234, welcome!

I haven't had much motivation lately either to exercise. Have you tried just going on a long walk, or playing frisbee outside, or something of that sort? Sometimes I push myself to go to the gym/yoga class and sometimes I'll just settle for a gentler sort of activity that doesn't necessarily seem like exercise. That way even if you can't get yourself the gym you at least get physical activity into your day.

Alternatively, you'll be surprised how much 3FC motivates you and keeps you accountable. When you have been a member long enough to get a signature, put an exercise ticker or some other public commitment to exercising a certain number of hours in a month. Tell people in chat threads that you commit to exercise that day, etc. I know it sounds really hokey but I've found that articulating that commitment out loud (even if it is just verbal) helps me stay accountable.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #5  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Think of all the reasons you want to lose weight.

Write them down (be detailed)

Read it back to yourself. Put somewhere that you''ll see it everyday. Mine in posted in front of my bed.

I cry each time I read it because I realize my goals again and why I want to achieve them, then I get back on the saddle. Just keeps things in perspective.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/120

Height: 5'6

JMfan, I love that idea of writing detailed reasons for why you are trying to lose weight. I'm going to have to do that.

I'm really sentimental about things so I'll be crying right along with you! lol
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Motivation? What's that?

I made exercise a must-do. I stuck it in during a no-excuses part of my day, which for me is 5:00 in the morning. It's not so bad now that I'm used to it. Shoot, I try to sleep in now and can't get past 6:30!

In addition, I also created a baseline of must-do activity. I chose something that was easy and sustainable. For me that's spin class M/W/F and lifting T/Th. When I don't feel like exercising, I do that as a bare minimum. Exercise doesn't have to be hard each and every time you do it. I think it's more important to do something...anything...for a period of time especially when you don't feel like it, just to keep the routine. Otherwise it's way too easy to start making excuses. There's no room in my method for excuses. I don't talk myself out of brushing my teeth in the morning and I don't talk myself out of exercise.

But as for motivation, I find people very motivating. Right now my gym is having a little competition to increase our cardio. Several of us put money in a pot and we're each collecting units for every 15 minutes of cardio we do per day. The person with the most units at the end wins the pot. Let me tell you, I am highly motivated at the moment! Perhaps you could organize something like that with some friends.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Oh my goodness, I can relate to this! I'm struggling with motivation, too. I'm peering around the forums here to get ideas. But you're definitely not alone.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

There is many a day when I'm not "motivated" to eat right or work out. But the question is, am I committed? I ask myself that, and the answer is yes, so I do what I'm supposed to do. Motivation comes and goes. Life won't always be exciting. But commitment to something you value should stay the same, rain or shine.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote