Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #1  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default Regain SOS

As you may have noticed, I've been seeing changes in my weight and measurements lately - in the wrong direction. I've noticed a lot of other posters experiencing similar woes and then pulling themselves out of the rut and getting back on track.

How did you do it? I keep telling myself stupid things like "oh it's not that much, your clothes still fit, you're still well within the healthy range, you still exercise daily and eat vegetables" as if any of those excuses justify overeating and binging on junk food. I'd love to hear some good news...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

The best advice I heard was on a weight loss TV show. The trainer said something along the lines of: "You made the choice. You are not addicted to food. You are making excuses and the only thing that happened was you picked up the food, put it in your mouth, and ate it." That was exactly what I needed to hear. Now I feel like I am in control. I was a sweets eater like you, but I have been much better lately. I used to drink 4 sodas a day (that is 600 calories) and chocolate, ice cream, candy, etc. I always could find a way to justify it.

Good luck to you Krampus! You and I have very similar bodies it sounds like. Hang in there. This will pass!
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

Same here, Krampus! Massive rationalizations all around for me. It's really hard to be dedicated to something that pretty much NO ONE cares about except me. I'll be changing my "current weight" tomorrow when I weigh-in for our work's biggest-loser contest. I only joined for enforced accountability. I have to do it. Ugh! I'm just going to fight it one day at a time. I have a detailed list of things I am going to do to occupy my hands and mind when I'm tempted to fall into my destructive eating habits. I wish I had better advice for you. I'm sure plenty of the members here will.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Krampus I do that too. That's why I've never really lost weight before, or even tried. My BMI is technically in the normal range, as is yours I think, which I always fall back on if I start to slip a little bit with my eating. But I know deep down even when I tell myself that that I really would rather feel and look a lot better if I was 10 lbs lighter, and more comfortably in the normal range.

I moved to a new country last September and since then have gone from 127 to a highest of 134. I think what it "takes" to get back on the wagon is to actually really want it badly enough to do something. For a while I thought I wanted to lose weight, then justified my weight to myself, etc. I didn't want it. When I finally decided last month I really, really need this to feel healthy and got through the first "clean" day, it's been (slowly) much easier.

I think as you mentioned in another thread that your gain is tied specifically to one weekend, so I wouldn't blow it too much out of proportion if that's true. We've all had our bumps in the road and one bad weekend, or even one bad month, shouldn't let you lose sight of the fact that you are still on the journey. You never get off the journey, it's just a matter of where you decide to go while you're on it. (Ok and with that cheesiness I'll stop my proverbs for the day!)

Last edited by indiblue; 02-14-2011 at 08:43 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

How's the weather where you are? We're approaching Spring and I just bet you rebound in the Spring when the weather changes. There's something invigorating to the spirit around this time of year. I think right now we're still in the dead of winter, and I think our bodies fight us more to keep their insulation. I think the average person who isn't dieting packs on 10 pounds or so in winter and then sheds it in Spring/Summer.

You need some rejuvenation.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #6  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

I 2nd that Eliana! It was sunny and in the upper 30's/40's here in Chicago and it feels great. Definitely the weather helps me stay energized since its been below 0 here and we had a huge blizzard two weeks ago. And I told myself twice after the New Year that I was going to get back into it and I didn't. I just felt tired of lying to myself and said, F-It, I'm going to the gym and getting back into the swing of things. Worked out 4 times this past week and have eaten healthy all week. Down two pounds and finally am feeling great again.

Krampus, everyone gets in the rut of no eating healthy and feeling blah. But just suck it up and go to the gym. Once you are there and get a workout in, your mind will be back on track and it will be easy to get back to where you were before. Good luck! If I can do it, I know you can too!
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Having the same problem too. Been trying to get myself back into a proper routine the last few days, on plan today so far.

Exercise definitely helps keep me accountable for what I eat, so I've just redone a new workout playlist which helps keep me motivated to exercise!

I hope we can all make positive choices today
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/See Ticker/125

I'm working through the same thing - I had a poor week of choices/situations this past week (more like 3 days, but it was before my weigh-in day so I feel like it blew the whole week...).

I'm using my disappointment as motivation to make better choices this week. When I'm laying in bed thinking 'skipping one day of exercise won't hurt' or at dinner thinking 'have a second helping, you've been good all week' I'm going to remind my self that every poor choice adds up in the long run.

Here is to us all having a good week!!
Last10in2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #9  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I wish I had good advice for you, but when I've regained in the past I always just let myself go, not looking at the scale, for MONTHS. I think the only thing to do is not let yourself take that time, to realize that this is how yo-yo-ing starts and cut it off at its source.

Secondhand advice from a friend I consulted: She fights off 5-lb regains and goes back to maintenance weight by "bullying herself" a little bit to hit the lesson home -- not through starving herself (never do that, because it will just trigger binges) but really dedicated/intense cardio, day in and day out, to burn it off in a "boot camp" week: 60-90 minutes running, spinning, swimming, intense weighlifting, or doing an aerobics video of some kind, every day, day in and day out, and absolutely no refined carbs and minimal saturated fats for the duration, but otherwise letting herself eat sensibly at 1500 cal a day (a HUGE deficit, since half of it will be burned off anyway).

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #10  
Finally Happy :)

S/C/G: 175|113|125

Height: 5'4

hang in there!
Ashley89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Krampus,

First of all -- if you find the answer, please forward it to me ASAP.

Secondly -- have you read The Beck Diet Solution? This is my plan for getting back on track. I read it last summer and really related to it. Then I put it away. I got it back out again the other day and it was like the smack upside the head I really needed. I need to keep reading it -- I need to stop being "too busy" to read it is what I mean.

I am not a self-help-book or diet-book kind of girl, but this one is really worth checking out!

Good luck, and please take care of yourself! It really sounds like you're having a rough time of it. There are brighter days ahead!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Aw thank you so much you guys. I have yo-yo-ed a couple times in the past which isn't something I care to put myself through again. The gain isn't really tied to anything specific, it started with a big blowout 10-day vacation in Germany right around the holidays, got a bit better, and has just been periods of sloppy eating, carb binges, and generally overdoing it. I've kept my workouts consistent the entire time, never missing more than two days a week.

Eliana, Mitza - That's very comforting. People really gain 10 lbs in winter and lose it? The weather here is still woefully wintry, but next month should see definite improvement!

lackadaisy - your friend's boot camp idea sounds like a good one, especially the cutting out of refined sugars. I am currently averaging 40 minutes a day of sweaty cardio 5-6 days a week and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to bump it up.

thesame7lbs - I'll have to check out that book, at this point I'll do anything. How are you doing? I've been thinking/worrying about you.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Krampus, I'm doing so much better. Not seeing a lot of action on the scale but I'm on a good binge-free streak. Next step is cutting down on sugar.

Lackadaisy, I think I'm going to boot camp for the next few weeks!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #14  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisy View Post
I wish I had good advice for you, but when I've regained in the past I always just let myself go, not looking at the scale, for MONTHS. I think the only thing to do is not let yourself take that time, to realize that this is how yo-yo-ing starts and cut it off at its source.
I completly agree with this.

In the past, my yo-yoing has ALWAYS been from a combination of these things: 1) Not weighing myself 2) Just plain eating more - like to the point where I can't remember the last time I felt super hungry 3) Stopping exercise, although I don't see gains with JUST this one. I have to be eating more too

I suppose I am one of those people who is getting back on track since I was basically taking a break for the past month. For me, this break helped me more than anything. I can look back and say, gee, I only lost about a pound or two since mid December and get all depressed, but I am trying to focus on the good part of not gaining. I feel really, really motivated to get back on track now and I'm down a pound this past week of being back on plan - which was huge for me because I FINALLY got out of the 140's!!!

I've lost and regained in the past...but I feel good about this round of weightloss because I feel like I am eating and exercising in a way that is sustainable. Sustainability is really key - you have to be honest with yourself. I know I am never going to be someone who gets up at 5 AM and goes to the gym every day, so why should I try to lose weight this way when I know I won't keep it up and it will make me miserable? I can keep up running a few times a week and making it to a yoga class or two, so that's what I am striving towards.

I'm doing the same with my eating...I eat a pretty healthy vegetarian diet as it is, so I am just trying to eat less and get into the habit of "working in" the junk food. I love pizza so I have it every week, but I have one or two slices with a giant salad (sometimes I even I buy it by the slice from Whole Foods, so there are no leftovers to eat for days). I think working in the sweets/treats can help not feeling deprived...but I know you have problems with binging and I am not all that familliar with whether this works for that. But mentally, I feel so much better eating soup or a salad or something light knowing I am going to be eating something I really enjoy later. I just try to balance the day and the week...you can balance it all with exercise too.

Another thing that motivates me is, I really do want to live a long healthy life. I want to eat healthy so I can age healthfully and feel good every day. I took at my parents (in their early 60's) and they are so out of shape I don't ever want to end up like that! It really motivates me to keep moving and eat right.

Good luck and stay positive. It's only weight loss, and like you said your clothes still fit and you are still in the healthy weight range. You'll get back on track, have faith in yourself!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

When this has happened to me, I just have to commit and white-knuckle it for about three days. I avoid sugar like the plague. Seriously. I even have conversations with myself while pacing back and forth in front of the candy box at work. Those first few days are super hard, but once I get through them, it becomes so much easier. Water weight comes off, so I just naturally feel more like making it work, the pull of sugar grows weaker, and things start to get back on track.

Something else I have learned is how not to have the cycle start in the first place. I just got back from an 11-day cruise vacation and didn't gain an ounce, and I did it by making sure I never let a one-meal indulgence spill over. A couple of times on the trip I ate big, but I immediately went back to my plan after that. I find that I don't spiral out of control when I do that. I only end up lost in my food addiction when I let one free meal turn into one free day and then into week after week of eating whatever I want.

BTW, in my experience the "boot camp" mentality does not work. And I have 20 years of experience with this. I can work out like you wouldn't believe, burning 1,500-2,000 calories per session. That does not solve the problem—ever—because it does not strike at the heart of the problem: food. Oh, sure, it will keep you from becoming truly overweight. I maintained at 129 for years and years and years by being an extreme exerciser. But you will never really have control. You will still binge and have to work out hard to rid yourself of the extra weight again and again and again because you have not learned control of your food addiction. And you'll spend a lot of your life burning off calories. Do you want that?

It really is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Without control over food, you can't get where you want to be and stay there.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 02-15-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote