Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Default bad day

I feel really HUGE today. A pair of jeans that I bought a year ago (because others were too small) is now tight on me. I am so ready to be back to 125-130, but here I sit at 140-142, and I dont' even know where to start with losing weight.

I keep making resolutions to start eating better, or exercise after work. But I'm still in my same old routine!

What do I do? How did you start? I'm really starting to lose control of this, and I"m not sure how to get a handle on it before I end up really overweight.
FitNeSsJeWeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #2  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

Ok take a deep breath and relax. You have to take things one day at a time. For me, I have always felt like I can get a plan started when I can monitor my food intake. I like using www.myfatsecret.com to log in all my food. Even if I don't work out, at least if I know I have not eaten crap during the day, always makes me feel better...and will help the clothes fit better too! Then write down a workout schedule and stick with it. Everyone has bad days, weeks, etc but you have to start somewhere and know to jump right back in when those bad times happen. This site is great for support, tips and just getting things off your chest that may be holding you back. But today is your day so take control, get organized and start working towards a better you!
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #3  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

for me, the easiest way to start is to literally start right this second.
if i tell myself that i will "start tomorrow" wellll tomorrow technically never comes, and im always starting on some distant "tomorrow" aka never.

so a couple days ago, i decided that i was going to re-begin my journey, because ive gained back a bunch of weight the past couple months. SO right when i decided that, i got up, put in a workout video, and did a workout.
People are different, but for me, its all about working out. If im not working out then im definitly not going to eat healthy. So i start working out the very second that i decide it. for example, right now you are sitting here reading this. instead of finishing, get up and do a quick workout.
You don't have to figure out some elaborate plan for losing a bunch of weight. you dont have to figure out what days to weigh yourself, how much you must lose by this specific day, etc. Those are all things that we do in order to motivate ourselves. If they just stress you out, or overwhelm you, instead of motivating you, skip them. they arent necessary. start taking care of your body right now, right this second. do a couple push ups before you finish reading this.

if you need a couple sensible things to do in order to start, here are some things that i do.
-leave yourself notes telling yourself what to do. put on the cereal box "do 10 push ups". youll get up in the morning, go to pour yourself that oh-so-delicious breakfast, and see that you need to do a little bit of exercise.
*depending on where you live: leave a note on the steering wheel "walk to the store". i live around the corner from a grocery store, and while its much quicker to drive there, i like the little walk around the block, and then its an even better workout on the way home because i have to carry the milk
-take care of the dog. like before, this depends on who you are and your lifestyle and stuff, but if you have a dog, or a friend with a dog, take it on a walk. its important that dogs get lots of exercise, and its a good excuse to go, especially if you are insecure about working out in public.
-buy a new CD. i HATE to run. hate it. but i love the way it makes me feel. so i like running to be my main exercise. buy a new CD, sync it to the ipod, and then listen to the whole thing, out in the fresh air. or even in the isolation of a treadmill at the gym. enjoy the music that you love with no distractions; no driving, no work, just you+music+your body.
-THROW FOOD AWAY "there are starving kids in africa yeah well there is a fat person at my table" i always had a huge problem with throwing food away. i HAD to finish my whole sandwich or else its a waste right? wrong. im teaching myself to only take what my body needs. i used to try the whole "ill save it for later" thing. but "later" always ended up being in five mins, cuz i just couldnt get the rest of the cookies off my mind. now, if i make a peanut butter sandwhich (my faaavorite, but also very heavy in calories) i eat very slowly. Once i feel full, i throw the rest away. my body does not need it. my pocketbook will not suffer from me throwing away that half a sandwhich. and eventually ill learn to only make half, and then ill be buying less food from the start and saving money.
-hang a motivational saying on your mirror. as women, we look in the mirror frequently. just some sort of little saying, and after reading it 100's of times, it wil be stuck in your head, and in your subconscious, and then you'll learn it, instead of just reading it.

those are my little tidbits. dont be discouraged and dont give up. even if its tough, and even if you slip up, you are human, just like the rest of us. we all slip up, lose weight, gain weight, etc.

best of luck
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Here to give much support
and encouragement!

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I have to white-knuckle it for three days. Seriously. I even find myself talking to myself while standing in front of the candy box at work, or in front of the pantry at home. It always takes three days, and then I am OK. But those first three days? The only way through it for me is to be absolutely committed. I talk myself into walking away from temptation over and over until the cravings finally recede.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote