Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Hit my daily calorie limit already - what to do???

It's 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm already at my daily calorie intake of 1200. For whatever reason, I was just starving today! Probably my evil-brain-tape seeing a 2lb loss and trying to trick me to self-sabotage) I ate healthy food - vegan sausage and high-fiber cereal for breakfast, 10 almonds for a snack at 10am, salad & low-cal soup for lunch, I've got a bag of celery here for munching, but I'm ravenous! I'll go to 1400 calories, but wow, what can I have as a 200 calorie dinner that will be filling enough to get me through the night? Any ideas??? Ugh. I'm going to find a pencil to gnaw on.....
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/133/118

Height: 5'3

hold off as long as possible, then eat something high in protein, it will satiate. Like maybe a couple eggs with sauteed veggies. Maybe with a little hot sauce?
sourbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #3  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Drink plenty of water... and when you inevitably get hungry, have something low-cal but filling (heavy on fiber and/or protein). High-cal days happen - just get through today and then forget it!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Whenever I need a filling almost no calorie food I hard boil eggs and only eat the egg white! I love the taste of the egg white and each is only 16 calories and 4 grams of protein. You could do 4 egg whites and a slice of whole grain bread with laughing cow cheese - filling, satisfying, only 180 calories, only 15 grams of carbs, and 18 grams of protein!! Talk about bang for your buck!!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #5  

Oh, that sounds so good! I'm starving! Lol! I'm going to stop and get eggs on the way home!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

flippychick--I am also a believer in the Almighty Egg White. I'd eat 4 egg whites, scrambled (30 cals/serving of egg white ) which is 120 cals... and then add a cup of broccoli to it for 50 cals... and then squirt some ketchup on top
Total: 170 cals

Throw in a 50 cal cheese stick and you'd only be over by 20 cals for a total of 220 cals.

Any exercise planned today?

If so, I'd eat my egg whites/ketchup, then I'd exercise, then I'd have my broccoli and cheese. That way I feel like I got to eat twice hahaha

Hang in there, tomorrow is a new day!

P.S.
I find it almost impossible to stay under 1500, let alone under 1200.... great work so far!!

Last edited by FatPantsSkinnyJeans; 11-09-2010 at 03:13 PM.
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #7  
losing and schmoozing

This is probably a stupid question, but as I am not an egg expert... how do you get the egg white separated from the egg?

I can see how you can do it easily if you, say, hard-boil or fry the egg (just eat the white part) but what about if you scramble them? Do you separate it out beforehand somehow??
Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellchick View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but as I am not an egg expert... how do you get the egg white separated from the egg?

I can see how you can do it easily if you, say, hard-boil or fry the egg (just eat the white part) but what about if you scramble them? Do you separate it out beforehand somehow??
Not a stupid question at all! I used to wonder the same.

They have liquid egg whites you can buy at the store. Just measure out 1/2 cup or so and scramble like you would normally. I personally like the egg white of a hard boiled egg better than the liquid egg whites, but a lot of people prefer the liquid!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #9  

cornellchick - crack an egg over a bowl and pass the yolk from one side of the shell to the other, the whites will pour into the bowl from around the yolk.

I wasn't sure I was going to have time to exercise tonight, but I'm going to make time now! I'll be breaking out the Buns of Steel tape for sure.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #10  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellchick View Post

Check on youtube for "seperating an egg" - it's a common technique for baking/cooking as there are lots of cases you may only want the yolks or whites for a recipes. Sometimes they are even both in the recipe but added seperately.

You basically gently crack it over a bowl (i say gently so you don't break the yolk, cause then you are screwed). A lot of the white will fall into the bowl, and then you use the 2 halves of the shell to toss the yolk back and forth until all of the white is in the bowl. Throw the yolk away or use it to make mayonaisse or something egg yolk based. lol. Probably nothing diet friendly can be made with the yolk...
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Check on youtube for "seperating an egg" - it's a common technique for baking/cooking as there are lots of cases you may only want the yolks or whites for a recipes. Sometimes they are even both in the recipe but added seperately.

You basically gently crack it over a bowl (i say gently so you don't break the yolk, cause then you are screwed). A lot of the white will fall into the bowl, and then you use the 2 halves of the shell to toss the yolk back and forth until all of the white is in the bowl. Throw the yolk away or use it to make mayonaisse or something egg yolk based. lol. Probably nothing diet friendly can be made with the yolk...
Seperating egg whites is actually really easy once you get the technique down - it is like second nature to me now.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #12  
losing and schmoozing

Thanks everybody! I did look it up on YouTube and a chef with a splendid French accent demonstrated it for me very nicely. Merci beaucoup, French man.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #13  

Well, friends, the bottomless pit is FINALLY full. I had my 4 egg whites, a piece of toast, slice of cheese for dinner....then proceeded to follow it up with a bowl of cereal! Some days are just like that, I guess....Lol! Tomorrow I am back to my 1200 calories!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #14  
losing and schmoozing

Way to go flippychick! Sounds like you did just fine. I hope tomorrow is a little easier for you.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

Just as another idea for a low-cal dinner next time this happens to anybody. My go to quick meal that isn't too high in calories is fresh spinach leaves, fat free cottage cheese (just be careful with how much you allot yourself; check portion size carefully and let yourself have whatever calorie amount you're trying to stick to). Pop a few baby carrots around the bowl and top with either a barely-there sprinkle of low- or no-fat Italian dressing or (if you like it) mustard. I often will opt for mustard because it's no-cal, but it's very high in sodium, so use sparingly.

If you can spend a few more calories, add a slice or two of flax seed bread on the side. It's all rabbit food, yes, but it's pretty filling and gets you items from most of the food groups.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote