Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Powerhouse View Post
Dianne, it's hard for me to answer your question, because I have always found muscular legs on a woman to be far more attractive than straight-up-and-down slender legs. I do squats and lunges and deadlifts and other exercises to increase the muscle in my legs. But the stair machine certainly did not give me bulky legs. It just raised and shaped my rear end, which I think is excellent.

I agree with those who say it is the best aerobic exercise machine. It is the only one that challenges me at all. I find running so much easier than the StairMill. I like running, but it doesn't challenge me nearly as much.
I too like muscle on a woman's legs. But not like a Beyonce. I like more of a Jessica Alba toned legs or Jessica Simpson legs (daisy duke days). They are not stick thin but still have nice toned muscles. See I already have a lot of muscle from cheerleading. I cant tell if my legs look bigger, or "thicker" because of the muscle of its just fat that needs to come off. Is it true muscle burns fat? Like if I build more muscle, the fat will come off? Or will the muscle just get bigger underneath with the fat still on top? Lol weir question

As for my rear, well I already have a big bubble butt, so now I am concerned that it might make it even bigger hah Oh sheesh Im a lose lose situation. This is why I want to run. I feel it just trims you down and tones you without giving bulk. But I do like the challenge and workout I get from the stairmaster. Just 20 minutes of it and I am dripping sweat!

So what do you think? Should I stick with the stairmaster or try running again? The running has just been hurting my joints :/
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I don't know what Beyonce looks like right now—she goes up and down in weight—but when she is larger the "bulk" is a result of fat over muscle. There's nothing wrong with her body, but, like you, I am not seeking that look.

The fact is, bulking up is very hard for a woman to do. Typically, if one feels bulky, it's fat that is causing that, not the muscle under it. Or, rather, it is both—in this way. You can build muscle under fat, and it is true that it can make you look larger until you lose the fat layer over the top. What is so great about muscle, though, is that, after you lose the fat layer, you are smaller than you would be if you didn't have the muscle underneath. Muscle is more compact than fat, so it enables you to fit into smaller clothes than someone else the same size. I am sure this is why I was a size 2/4P even at 129 pounds. I used the StairMaster for three hours a week for a year and never bulked up because I worked on losing fat at the same time that I was building muscle.

Muscle burns more calories than fat. Not nearly so much more than fat as people used to believe, but more. And the key is that it keeps burning calories long after your workout.

As for running, depending on how much of it you do, and how little you do to maintain your current muscle, you will lose muscle over time. That is how running works. People new to working out will initially build some muscle, but soon enough the body starts breaking down the muscle to streamline your body for running. So, if you want to reduce the muscle in your legs, running will do that. But it's very possible that what you see as bulk is simply a bit of fat over muscle, in which case, if you lose that fat layer you will end up with the legs that you want.

It's a personal choice in the end. I don't think you will be working against your goals either way. If you want to try running, why not give it a few months and see if you start to get the results that you were looking for?

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-03-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Powerhouse View Post
I don't know what Beyonce looks like right now—she goes up and down in weight—but when she is larger the "bulk" is a result of fat over muscle. There's nothing wrong with her body, but, like you, I am not seeking that look.

The fact is, bulking up is very hard for a woman to do. Typically, if one feels bulky, it's fat that is causing that, not the muscle under it. Or, rather, it is both—in this way. You can build muscle under fat, and it is true that it can make you look larger until you lose the fat layer over the top. What is so great about muscle, though, is that, after you lose the fat layer, you are smaller than you would be if you didn't have the muscle underneath. Muscle is more compact than fat, so it enables you to fit into smaller clothes than someone else the same size. I am sure this is why I was a size 2/4P even at 129 pounds. I used the StairMaster for three hours a week for a year and never bulked up because I worked on losing fat at the same time that I was building muscle.

Muscle burns more calories than fat. Not nearly so much more than fat as people used to believe, but more. And the key is that it keeps burning calories long after your workout.

As for running, depending on how much of it you do, and how little you do to maintain your current muscle, you will lose muscle over time. That is how running works. People new to working out will initially build some muscle, but soon enough the body starts breaking down the muscle to streamline your body for running. So, if you want to reduce the muscle in your legs, running will do that. But it's very possible that what you see as bulk is simply a bit of fat over muscle, in which case, if you lose that fat layer you will end up with the legs that you want.

It's a personal choice in the end. I don't think you will be working against your goals either way. If you want to try running, why not give it a few months and see if you start to get the results that you were looking for?
What great information you have! It's interesting you say that you will be smaller with more muscle than if you didnt have any becuase I am 138 5'5 and still a size 4. I havent really changed "sizes" in years. But I just dont like the way my body looks. I really think I guess I have to hope that between the exercise and eating healthier, that the fat will come off. So what is the key to burning fat?

I think I will keep a mixture of running and the stairmaster. Oh man, I wish I could get an hour of the stairmaster in a day. What a workout that would be. I think it would be like 480 calories!!

Have you changed your diet as well as your exercise?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #19  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
So what is the key to burning fat?

I think I will keep a mixture of running and the stairmaster. Oh man, I wish I could get an hour of the stairmaster in a day. What a workout that would be. I think it would be like 480 calories!!
Soooo, this is pretty controversial, but I really like low-intensity workouts for burning fat. I know, at a higher intensity you burn more calories, and in the end it comes down to calories in, calories out, but... in a lower-intensity workout you burn a high proportion of fat. Since you aren't tapping into all the glycogen stored in your muscles, you aren't totally exhausted afterwards and your body isn't begging you to replace that glycogen, so it's easier to stick to your eating plan. Anecdotally, I have found this to be true, both last year when I stuck to lower-intensity workouts while losing baby weight, and the past two weeks when my trainer has slowed me down.

I think so many of us feel like we aren't doing enough unless we really push it and we're sweaty and panting and exhausted. And certainly that kind of workout definitely has its place. But don't be afraid to mix in a low-intensity workout (or two) each week.

What I mean is, get on that stairmaster and set it to go slowly enough that you can stay on for 45 minutes or an hour. Usually, when I'm at the gym, I am the slowest person on the stairmaster. Everyone else is going so much faster -- and maybe that is appropriate for their fitness goals. But for me, I'm happy to go slow and steady (and, as the legend goes, win the race).

I also find it helpful to jog reaaaaally slowly. Like 4.8 mph on a treadmill. You'll be amazed how you can run for such a long time! Faster runs are still a great idea. But don't be afraid of the slow run!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Soooo, this is pretty controversial, but I really like low-intensity workouts for burning fat. I know, at a higher intensity you burn more calories, and in the end it comes down to calories in, calories out, but... in a lower-intensity workout you burn a high proportion of fat. Since you aren't tapping into all the glycogen stored in your muscles, you aren't totally exhausted afterwards and your body isn't begging you to replace that glycogen, so it's easier to stick to your eating plan. Anecdotally, I have found this to be true, both last year when I stuck to lower-intensity workouts while losing baby weight, and the past two weeks when my trainer has slowed me down.

I think so many of us feel like we aren't doing enough unless we really push it and we're sweaty and panting and exhausted. And certainly that kind of workout definitely has its place. But don't be afraid to mix in a low-intensity workout (or two) each week.

What I mean is, get on that stairmaster and set it to go slowly enough that you can stay on for 45 minutes or an hour. Usually, when I'm at the gym, I am the slowest person on the stairmaster. Everyone else is going so much faster -- and maybe that is appropriate for their fitness goals. But for me, I'm happy to go slow and steady (and, as the legend goes, win the race).

I also find it helpful to jog reaaaaally slowly. Like 4.8 mph on a treadmill. You'll be amazed how you can run for such a long time! Faster runs are still a great idea. But don't be afraid of the slow run!
I have to agree with you. I've noticed the endurance I have when doing lower intensity workouts. I also learned a few years ago in college in one of my health classes that lower intensity workouts do burn more fat. I completley forgot about this fact I learned. She told us a story of this overweight woman who would be in the gym all the time busting her butt for 30 min. and didnt understand why she wasnt losing weight. Apparently she needed to do lower intense workouts for longer. And that did the trick! The fat started falling off. Thanks for reminding me of this Amy!

Yesterday was the first time EVER that I was able to run 1.1 miles non stop. Doesnt sound like much but I am NOT a runner and have never been able to do that. Small victory for me! yay! I am getting a little discouraged however, because I am not seeing the scale move down nor am I really seeing a difference in my body. But again, I guess I just have to be patient.

Happy Wednesday and yay for girls night tonight!!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

Have fun at girls night Dianne! I need one of those soon.

So I bought a new scale and it seems to weigh between 2-3 pounds LESS than my old scale. This is super annoying for several reasons, but mainly because I don't know what it means. It's not like I'm thinner just because the scale says a lower number KWIM? I guess I'll just lower my goal weight by a few pounds. At least this scale will say the same number after stepping on it multiple times in a row. I go to the doctors next week so I can compare the number at home to the number at the doctors (fully dressed, after eating, etc) to see the accuracy.

Yesterday I took Ainsley to the gym daycare and I did the turbo kickbox class at 24 hour fitnesss. It was a good workout, and I feel a little sore today so I think I'm retaining a little water. I was just glad I could keep up with the choreography! We went to Costco afterwards and I had the foresight to bring a nectarine with me to snack on instead of samples or a big piece of pizza. I've been doing much better about not eating Ainsley's leftovers, but I still nibble a bit. I should probably buy some gum for when I feed her, but I've never really liked chewing gum.

Anyway, it looks like I can join the getting through the 120's club when we get back from our weekend away next week. The new scale said 129.8. I'm going to keep the old scale until I see below 130 on it LOL .
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #22  

Personally, I push myself always. I set the stairmaster at the highest I can go and I use it that way for an hour to an hour and a half. I have burned more than 1,000 calories on the stairmaster before pushing myself the whole way. (The machines tell me I burn much more, but we all know they lie. ) I also run as fast as I can for over an hour. I typically run at about 8 to 9 miles an hour. That is just the way I am: I like to challenge myself. It's not about fat burning for me: I've reached my goals that way. It's about getting faster and stronger, about pushing myself every minute that I spend in the gym. In fact, I never went at a slower speed even when I was losing fat. It just doesn't fit with my personality, and it isn't fun to me. If I start running slow I get bored and feel sluggish. If I'm too tired one day to go full-out on the stairmaster I do something else that I can exert myself on. I hate barely moving. And I lost two pounds a week on average pushing myself every second. But I do understand the concept of slower cardio from a fat-burning perspective. I think it has merit.

My philosophy of working out is simple: do what you like to do so that you never get bored, and stick with it. Everything works if you commit to it and complement it with the proper diet. For me, I am able to stick to my eating plan just fine when I push myself. And, well, in the end, for me, even though a higher percentage of fat is being used when I work out at a lower intensity, a lower total amount of fat is lost in the same time period because I am not burning as many calories. In other words, it is six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. This is true for me because I already have enough endurance with cardio to work out at high intensity for an hour to an hour and a half. That's all the time I want to spend on cardio. There is no incentive to slow down to go for a longer period of time. In fact, many would argue that for my goals I do too much cardio as it is. But, again, I just don't pay too much attention to the *best* way to do something. I do what is fun for me. That is what has enabled me to stick with it three times a week for 20 years. Now, it it were not effective for me, I would change things. But it works, so I'm good with it.

As for the woman you mentioned, Dianne, in her case she had to have been eating back her calories. Otherwise, she would have lost weight. She probably was feeling the urge to eat after pushing herself so hard. So slowing down worked for her, because it kept her appetite in check. On the flip side, if one doesn't have a lot of time to work out, I would probably be inclined to suggest high-intensity to get more calorie bang for the buck. With shorter workouts there is less of a concern about eating back calories due to increased hunger.

It's all case by case.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-04-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #23  

That makes sense. It really is case by case. For me, after 40 minutes of cardio, I am exhausted and dripping! I wish I could do 90 minutes. Wow I cant imagine the weight I would lose lol My goal is to eventualy do 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. But for now, that is simply not sustainable. I will just need to build up to that! I honestly dont know what works and what doesnt work for me. I dont know what exercise and what diet works for me. I have never stuck with anything for a period long enough to tell. That is why I am taking the slower approach. I feel satisfied and content with this decision!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
That makes sense. It really is case by case. For me, after 40 minutes of cardio, I am exhausted and dripping! I wish I could do 90 minutes. Wow I cant imagine the weight I would lose lol My goal is to eventualy do 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. But for now, that is simply not sustainable. I will just need to build up to that! I honestly dont know what works and what doesnt work for me. I dont know what exercise and what diet works for me. I have never stuck with anything for a period long enough to tell. That is why I am taking the slower approach. I feel satisfied and content with this decision!
That makes total sense to me. I always tell anyone starting out to do what they feel they can commit to. That's the important thing. And, as I say, I firmly believe that the low-intensity idea has real merit. It just doesn't address my fitness goals or personality.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-04-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #25  

Chelsey, I think you're on the right track. Gradually decreasing your calories, gradually upping your exercise. If I had $.05 for everyone in the world who jumped in at 1200 calories and 6 workouts a week (and then burned out), I bet I'd be richer than Oprah!

PetitePowerhouse, if you are ever in New Orleans I have a friend you have to meet. You remind me so much of her! She's petite, muscular, driven, just an overall firecracker. Hmmm, wait a minute, are you in New Orleans?

AinsleyMom, how did it go with the gym daycare? I have to confess... two of my custom meals in myplate are "AinsleyMom Peanut" and "AinsleyMom Almond" because your breakfast recipe (with either PB or almond butter) is now my favorite breakfast!

After all my talk of low-intensity workouts... whoa! I did an interval run today as part of my half-mara training. Alternating 400 meters at 8mph with 400 meters at 5mph for 4 miles. I'm wiped out! I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep doing these runs, as the sprinting seems to aggravate my tendonitis. We'll see how I feel over the next few days. I don't think I have another on my schedule for 2 weeks anyway.

How do those of you with kids explain your "dieting" or weight loss to your children? More specifically, weighing food, etc? My DD asked why I was weighing food and I fibbed and told her that because I run a lot, I have to make sure I'm getting all the right vitamins and this is how I do it, by measuring carefully. Whenever running or the gym comes up (as in, "Why do we have to go to the gym again?) I say that I have to exercise to keep my heart and lungs healthy. I think if I'd been seriously overweight/obese I would be willing more to talk about "weight" with them, but since it has been, oh heck, let's admit it, vanity pounds, I don't want to get them started down that road. Both DDs are perfectly fit and show no tendency toward extra weight (nor did I until puberty). Also, my kids eat quite healthily with lots of veggies and fruit, no soda, limited juice, always wheat bread, etc. We talk about vitamins in food and why some things are good for us and some are not, but never about calories, fat, etc.

Hope everyone's having a good hump day!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #26  
Eternally 2 pounds away..

S/C/G: 135/ticker/120

Height: 5'5"

Hello how are we all this morning?

I'm feeling a bit more spritely today after getting over the world's worst hangover. My Wednesday was me hugging my big Care Bear Teddy and watching loads of TV on my laptop!

August so far has been much more successful, and I may be getting ahead of myself but I am looking at photos for my 'Goal' post. Didn't have any photos of me at my highest weight, but have one at about 132.

I'm getting very excited. I'm even planning my goal wardrobe. Ha! I know this is so lame, but it has been such a painfully slow 4/5 months!
DoraUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #27  

thesame7lbs, I envy your friend in New Orleans. I LOVE that city! Sadly, I have only been there once, but it left a big impression on me. I'd love to visit again.

I decided to try running slower last night to see how that went. I find I can handle slowing to a pace of about 6 miles an hour. I just can't get myself to run slower than that. When I try, I feel like I'm not moving and I speed up without realizing it.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-05-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #28  

LOL, PP! It is hard to run slowly! On the treadmill at least I can set the speed and just lope along, but when I'm outside it is nigh impossible. I'll feel like I ran extra extra slowly and then come home and do the math (because of course I do the math -- has anyone noticed I'm a data whore?) and it turns out I ran only 15 seconds/mile slower or something like that. Oh well.

Today, however, I was pretty successful at my slow run (on the treadmill) because I'm so tired from yesterday's intervals! That's OK, though, because it's supposed to be a slow, easy recovery run. Mission accomplished!

Dora, I don't think it's lame to plan your goal post! Visualizing success is an important part of motivating yourself. Picking your photos, planning your new wardrobe -- that's part of the fun! I wish I had a "before" pic, but I really don't think I have one that shows anything. Should have done one in my workout gear.

We're having friends over for dinner tonight, so I better start chopping! Veggies and hummus for appies!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 136/118/115

Height: 5'4

hey everyone...

So just felt like posting a little update... The past 3 days have gone really well. I am actually following my eating plan and liking it! I enter everything I eat in MyNetDiary and am actually surprised at how little I am eating each day. Today I decided to try that pasta slim stuff.. tofu type pasta substitute... pretty interesting.. It smelt really bad when I opened the bag, but after I rinsed it off and warmed it up.. added some tomato sauce to it (with lots of red pepper flakes) it wasn't too bad. VERY weird texture, but it still made me feel like I was cheating and eating spaghetti! Filled me up, that and a side salad.. total meal was only 101 calories! I feel like I am doing pretty good and learning new ways to trick myself info believing that I am not really changing my eating habits! (I mean come on I had spaghetti for lunch, *wink wink*).

On another note. Opinions on coffee?? I have an addiction to Starbucks ice coffee... should I cut it out. or is it okay as long as it fits in my daily calorie intake.. (I only have one a day and sometimes none at all) But still, it feels so wrong (probably because I love it).

:] thanks. hope everyone is having a great day!!!
lilmissPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #30  

Hi Feathers!

Boy we're having a beautiful day today! I went for a run at 7 this morning and I was actually cold before I started! I can't wait for Fall. I love the crisp weather!

This afternoon is warm but not too hot. I took my kids to our little downtown square where they have those fountains that shoot out of the ground. They had a blast!

Now we're home and I'm making glazed salmon steaks for dinner, with sesame green beans and bok choy. Basicallly my ideal meal. :-)

Tomorrow I have a 9-mile run, and then I'm taking the kids up to my in-laws for the night. Monday we head to my parents' house near the Jersey Shore. My two brothers and one of my sisters will be there with their families. I think we're going to head to a nearby lake for the afternoon. It will be crazy! My family is very LOUD. I'm interested to see what they say about my weight loss. The most telling sign will be how quickly my mother calls my other sister to tell her about it...

lilmiss, so happy you are enjoying your plan! Being comfortable on plan makes it so much easier! Another great pasta alternative is spaghetti squash. You poke it with a fork and then bake it. When it's done, you split it open and scoop out the flesh. It comes out in strands that look just like spaghetti -- just a little crunchier. With tomato sauce on top it's pretty good. I would imagine the tofu kind has more protein, though!

As for coffee, that is something I'm not willing to give up! I have two cups in the morning, with a little sugar and whole milk, or a lowfat latte. I sometimes have an iced coffee in the afternoon. I think it's a pretty harmless indulgence, and it fits into my calories.

Hope everyone has a good couple days. I will probably check in from the road, mostly for moral support as I am confronted with my MIL's fantastic cooking and my family's endless snacking!