Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default What's a featherweight?

I never really poked around here much because I figured I don't belong in featherweights, but there seems to be a pretty big range of types here. So what defines a featherweight? Amount to lose? Goal weight?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

Well, one way to tell is this: do you get grief posting on the other forums because you are small? Then you are a featherweight. )

Seriously though, I think featherweights are at a healthy weight for their height and body type and either want to lose some "vanity pounds" or they are maintaining.
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:

Well, one way to tell is this: do you get grief posting on the other forums because you are small? Then you are a featherweight. )

Seriously though, I think featherweights are at a healthy weight for their height and body type and either want to lose some "vanity pounds" or they are maintaining.
Well then maybe I do belong here I'm at the tippy top of my ideal weight range and I'm getting a little flack for wanting to lose another 5-10lbs to see if my belly will shrink a little more. I think part of my problem is that I've just reached my goal and my posts probably come off as if I'm completely insecure, but this really isn't the issue. I just don't feel comfortable this close to 150 especially during TOM and/or over indulgence fluctuations. Good to know there's somewhere I can come.

Last edited by ncuneo; 07-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I truly do feel that our perception of size is skewed because the population as a whole has gotten much larger than it once was. To me there is nothing strange at all in your desire to lose another handful of pounds, if that weight would be sustainable for you.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 07-30-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

I agree, Petite Powerhouse. Have you seen the BMI project? I woudl say most people are overweight or obese, and we accuse normal-sized folks of being anorexic.
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Ncuneo! I think you're right at home here!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #7  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Ncuneo, I've been mostly lurking on this board myself, wondering if/when I belong here. I still have about 16 pounds to lose, and some of the ladies on this board STARTED OUT at less than I currently weigh after 6 months of dieting. On the other hand, I am now officially in the "normal BMI" weight range for my height and wear a size 6, so I definitely feel a little vain on some of the other boards, where many women are working so hard to get under the 200 mark. I too have thought your question, so I'm glad you posted it.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Here's the official welcome to Featherweights.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/feat...erweights.html

We have both those who need to lose a few pounds and those who have lost some and need to lose a few more.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Well then maybe I do belong here I'm at the tippy top of my ideal weight range and I'm getting a little flack for wanting to lose another 5-10lbs to see if my belly will shrink a little more. I think part of my problem is that I've just reached my goal and my posts probably come off as if I'm completely insecure, but this really isn't the issue. I just don't feel comfortable this close to 150 especially during TOM and/or over indulgence fluctuations. Good to know there's somewhere I can come.
Yep sounds like you're a Feather ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #10  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Ncuneo, welcome! How nice to have you here! I always enjoy reading your posts.

Yep, folks saying "you're thin already, or where would you lose it from?" I look at them and think, hmmmm, "you could lose some yourself." Being slim is no longer the norm.

I've been at 3fc three weeks now, seems like much longer, as this forum is such a mainstay of support for me. I found the forum because I knew I needed some support to keep going. In those three weeks, I've enjoyed that support, and have shed seven pounds. I'm actually starting to feel more like a Feather! I have found more places on the web which are also helpful, and read a good bit each day on metabolism, chemical structure of foods, etc. It's all been what I've needed.

How nice it is to know I can enjoy living more cleanly and still keeping working towards getting sleeker, even when others live very differently.

Thank you all for being here and being so kind!

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-01-2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added a thought
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #11  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwinkle View Post

I have been getting a bit of flack lately cuz I am complaining about 10lbs to go! Guess I will have to start posting in this forum regularly.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #12  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim CB View Post
I have been getting a bit of flack lately cuz I am complaining about 10lbs to go! Guess I will have to start posting in this forum regularly.
Yep, exactly! I started feeling weird in some of the other forums. I like it here. No one gives you crap if you mention wanting to adjust your goal a little lower.

At any rate, congrats, SlimCB! You have done so well and gotten so close! You've worked your plan well and deserve to enjoy the pay-off.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim CB View Post
Really? I have made myself feel weird, but no one else has made me feel that way at all. I still post regularly in the 100 pound club. People are nothing but encouraging there no matter the size. People will openly say they are jealous, but always in a kind way! And I understand. I have been there.

I still don't feel like I quite belong here. I didn't think I'd hit that "last 10" so soon. I have 10 to go to normal weight and I WANT to get 10 more besides. Wanting to lose 20 pounds doesn't make me feel very feathery.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #14  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Really? I have made myself feel weird, but no one else has made me feel that way at all. I still post regularly in the 100 pound club. People are nothing but encouraging there no matter the size. People will openly say they are jealous, but always in a kind way! And I understand. I have been there.

I still don't feel like I quite belong here. I didn't think I'd hit that "last 10" so soon. I have 10 to go to normal weight and I WANT to get 10 more besides. Wanting to lose 20 pounds doesn't make me feel very feathery.
Don't worry, I don't feel feathery either. When I look in the feathers forum, I see persons who are 5'5" and 115 lbs. There is no way 115lbs would look good on my 5'8" frame but a part of me still feels heavy.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #15  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

You def belong here, welcome

I really appreciate this sub-forum, it is a great place to post questions or support for something that may seem silly or trivial to someone with quite a bit of weight to lose. Everyone here understand there is a new set of challenges, frustrations, etc that are specific to being at/near your goal weight and losing the last few or maintaining.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote