Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #1  
Dutch Blitz Dominator!

S/C/G: 140/125/115

Height: 5'5

Angry What does your workout look like?

I am a little scared to over-run. I used to weigh about 140lbs (this was about 4 years ago) and a year after that I lost tons of weight and ended up weighing 115.
3 years later I weigh 126 maybe 125... Last time I checked the scale was in April and I weighed 123 but lately all I do is eat out and I can FEEL that I have gotten more flabby.
I AM INFACT ON A DIET! A no-more-eating-fast-food/resturaunt-food-diet! (It is much more harder then you think being a college student and all)

I don't want to get too skinny... I just want to get rid of the flab on my legs and tummy. (Some muscle training as well... but not too much) I was thinking about running 4 times a week for a mile (which is actually 1/4 of it running and the rest of it walking ughhh. But I run further each day!)... Will I see change ever if I keep this up?
yellowsubgirly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, YellowSubGirly!

Oh, I remember how hard it was to eat healthily in college -- temptation is everywhere!

As far as how much to run, in my experience, 1 mile running/walking is not enough to yield any results. I think you would need at least 30 minutes of exercise, intense enough to get your heart rate up, to see results. It could be running, walking (especially if you have big hills there in Colorado), or hitting the rec center and using the machines. To build gradually, you might consider the Couch-to-5K program. If you check out the exercise forum, you'll see lots of people there who are working through one of the many versions of C25K.

The other thing is that all the exercise in the world won't get rid of extra fat/flab unless you are eating fewer calories than you burn. Because you are young and thin, you can very likely do this just by reducing your portions or eliminating/limiting some high calorie foods from your day-to-day diet. Many people on 3FC (myself included) count calories to keep close tabs on calories consumed. Running (or any exercise, but in my experience, especially running) can make you hungrier -- if this causes you to eat more, you won't lose any weight. This is why some people consider running not so great for weight loss.

I should add that I find running excellent for toning the legs and butt! I run about 5 miles, 4x/week, plus one day of cardio kickboxing, but I've been running (on and off) for 18 years.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #3  
Samantha417

Running is incredible for toning. I run for about 30-35 minutes almost every day. My lower legs look great! I feel that I get my best work out with running, but it does make you feel a bit hungrier, but I just add in a small snack and I'm fine.

It is difficult to eat healthy when you're at school. But living in an apartment where you can buy and cook your own food changes everything!

If you're just looking to get rid of a little flab, you need 30 minutes cardio, some weight training, and you need to cut out some bad foods.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #4  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I am chiming in to give you credit for your healthy choices. Quitting smoking and drugs in college is an impressive accomplishment. I can't imagine the temptation you have when you socialize. Especially when it seems like everybody under 25 smokes at least sometimes.

As far as running goes, keep at it and I guarantee you will LOVE the results. My thighs are big for my size, but yesterday, I noticed I am getting definition there.

But try to love the parts of your body that will never be "perfect". Love your body unconditionally, just as you would love a friend. Keep telling yourself that you are beautiful. The more kind and loving you are to your body, the better it will look.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/127/120

Height: 5'3

You should definitely go jogging to get results. Honestly 1 mile with jogging only 1/4 doesn't sound like you'll burn much.. But when you're getting into the habit of jogging, and getting your endurance up, why not? Just try to go a little bit further each day, and jog more each day. That's how I started 2 months ago, and now I've got enough endurance to jog straight 2.8 miles without stopping. Great workout!
blindcantaloup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

All the runners I know have incredible bodies! Great legs, of course, but also they're lean all over.

My exercise routine is just starting up. I'm doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred workout video and I feel strong and it may all be in my head, but I feel like it's starting to show in my arms!

I definitely plan to add in more cardio, like running on the treadmill, when I'm at goal weight and want to add in more delicious foods while maintaining!
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #7  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

I enjoyed running when I was in my twenties. It was great. Callanetics is great for toning up flabbiness. You can see results after every session. I have a daily routine which I quite enjoy. Whether young or old, it's a wonderful approach to exercise.

Last edited by SilverLife; 07-12-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: clarification
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

OMG! Im so happy I read all of these! I just recently started running/speed walking 20 minutes on the treadmill and doing the stairmaster for 10 minutes. Let me tell you, I leave dripping! lol That could be good or mad. Either Im really out of shape or I'm getting in a good workout lol But anywhoo, I have been wondering ever since I started running if it would tone me.. Because they say weight lifting is what tones you and cardio just helps you lose weight. So I am so glad to hear it will tone your lower body, considering my lower body is my bad area.

What is all of your opinions on the stairmaster? Will that make my butt and legs bulkier or just toned? Should I just do 30-40 minutes of running/speed walking instead of doing the stairmaster for 10 minutes??
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote