Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Absent since Christmas - recommitting to weight loss

Hello,

Late last year, I joined 3FC and found it to be an excellent place to go for support my weight loss. However, since Christmas, I haven't visited the forums or made any effort whatsoever with losing weight.

My flatmate took her bathroom scales when she went home for Christmas, and I didn't weigh myself over that period. When she came back in January, I felt scared of weighing myself. That might sound silly, but I'd stopped paying attention to my diet and hadn't been making any effort to lose weight. I'd also been snacking a fair bit - not massive binges, just eating unhealthy snacks unnecessarily (i.e. when I wasn't hungry).

This went on for a few months, and over the past few weeks I decided I wanted to get back on track. I didn't think I'd gone massively off the rails, but I knew I was making a few silly choices with my diet that I didn't really want or need to make. I decided to face my fears and got on the scale again last week. The last time I checked into 3FC in December, I was 171lbs, and last week, I was 177lbs.

Obviously, I was disappointed that I had put on some weight, but strangely, I was rather encouraged. I'd been paying no attention whatsoever to losing weight or being particularly healthy, but I'd only put on 6lbs. That may sound like a lot to some people, but given that I was not holding back at all with food when I wanted it, I was pleased that my natural, unconsidered lifestyle choices weren't conducive to my weight getting out of control. I really feel my habits have changed and I no longer want eat the volumes of food I ate when I was much heavier. I feel like I can trust myself more, and even when I'm not paying attention to my diet, I'm not putting on huge amounts of weight.

I decided to start making sensible choices again with my diet and lifestyle again last week, and I've already lost 2lbs, so I'm only 4lbs away from my lowest weight (what I was in December). I feel really encouraged!

So, I'm posting again to say hello again to everyone, and also because I think being part of these forums and being honest about what I want will help me recommit to this. I'm already so much happier with my weight and appearance, so it might be hard to motivate myself sometimes, and I think these forums will really help, as they have in the past.

I hope you all have a great week, and I really look forward to posting and reading the forums again.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back, & congratulations on your success! I had a similar experience when I went to Cancun for a week in February & did not watch my diet at all - I thought I'd be significantly up upon my return, but had only gained 2 pounds. It's a great feeling, isn't it?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

tiny, welcome back and good luck!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #4  

Smile

Heya welcome back I came back after 4 years. I originally lost 28lb but put back on 17lbs. Back down 7 again!
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #5  

Aw, thanks for the welcome everyone! I can feel these forums keeping me on track already!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Tinycities I am in the EXACT SAME PLACE!!
Miraculously haven't gained 400 lbs in the past few months, but lately the scale is starting to creep, and I'm giving in to the fact that I must actually put at least a modicum of work into being healthy.
I'd reached 126 at my most recent lowest, and now I'm 132, those 6 lbs on my 5'2" frame matter. So, recommitting to good health!!
Good luck to you, I imagine I'll see you around here.
s
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #7  

Hey shrinkinglizzie!

It's really great to have other people on here who are in the same situation! I feel like I'm back on track now, I'm pretty much back to my lowest weight before (well, 1lb heavier!). It's actually amazing the difference it makes to your weight, the second you start paying attention to being healthy again after letting things slide. I think my weight loss has slowed down to a normal rate now, but last week I was dropping pounds like crazy (I must have been retaining so much water from all of the junk food I'd been eating!). It's really encouraging and I definitely want to stick with it this time!

Best of luck to you too, look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

(Love your avatar, by the way!)
Old 03-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #8  

Hi Tinycities, welcome back!

I'm in a similar situation, though it hasn't been as long since I've been on the forum. I started out great at the beginning of the year and lost some weight but then I got sick and stopped working out for two weeks. I got back on track for a couple of weeks and then had to travel and got off track again because I didn't make myself work out.

I also got too obsessed with calorie counting and started eating things that really weren't healthy, even if I was sticking to my calories.

Luckily, I didn't gain any weight, but stopped losing. I think I hit a plateau and it is a lot harder to lose those last 10 pounds.

I'm back on South Beach starting today, sticking to my calories and increasing my cardio and weight training.

Good luck and congrats on your success so far!!

Last edited by mctinez; 03-21-2009 at 01:46 PM.
mctinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

TinyC, welcome back ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #10  

Thank you for the welcomes, mctinez and Ilene! I'm so happy to be back on the forums, everyone has been so lovely.

mctinez, I understand what you're saying! It's very easy to get off track, and even easier to stay that way! I'm glad you've decided to recommit too. I know what you mean with regards to calorie counting and eating unhealthy foods but staying within your calorie limit! This weekend I've been quite naughty with food, not awful, but just filling up my calorie allowance with stuff without a lot of nutritional value. It's a pitfall of calorie counting, so I decided to set myself some non-calorie related food goals (e.g. trying not to eat two carb-heavy meals a day, and instead increasing my protein) that I hope will help!

I'm on a bit of a plateau too - I've been at the same weight for the past week. The vast majority of days I've been really on plan, but I think I need to get some exercise to break through this - I got stuck at the exact same point before Christmas, and I can't wait to get past it!

Hope South Beach is going well for you!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #11  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

back Tinycities!!

I started maintaining in September and was plesantly surprised by how easy I found it, although I did continue weighing in each week - I actually lost a further 3 lb without trying. I have now revised my goal and want to get down to 126 so I'm back in diet mode again!
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote