Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #1  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Funny clothing story

So I did some shopping yesterday.
I finally broke down and bought new pants instead of getting my current pants tailored. But I went to JCPenney (they're having a massive storewide clearance sale this week!) and only spent about $35 on three pairs of slacks for work and a black cami.

I realized something as I was trying on a pair of Juniors' size 13 jeans. The style and fit of your clothes seriously affects how heavy you *look*. I'm a size 10 in women's and the pants I was trying on that fit comfortably made me look HOT, even though they were work slacks and very conservative fitting. But the jeans, an article of clothing commonly intended to make you look sexy, right? Even though the size 13s (sortof) fit, I pulled out my stomach just to see what it would look like, and it was awful! It made me laugh, though.

I had a conversation with a friend about what she called "Sausage Pants". The pants that you have to squeeze yourself into, lying on the bed just to zip them up. It really is true that when you buy clothes that actually fit you well you look ten times better than trying to squeeze yourself into the size you should be!

I know this is pretty much common sense to you all, and this post is probably pretty redundant, but I just thought it was so funny! I'm a solid 12 or 14 in jeans, but I nice comfortable 10 in career slacks. Then again, when I was in high school and even part of college I'd wear JNCOs (anyone remember those??). I was skinny then, so I thought they flattered my figure well (hiding my thighs, accentuating my waist), but I remember so many girls who looked like they were seriously pried into their jeans with a shoehorn or something, and I wasn't sure what they thought they looked like.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling, but I was hoping you all could share your stories about embarassing/hideous fads you fell victim to or stories about your fashion faux pas's.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

So true! Clinton and Stacey would be proud!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #3  

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

I too have realized that size doesnt matter..what matters is that your clothes fit right and they flatter you...

ps: im watching what not to wear as I type this lol
JerseyGirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I love WNTW I watch almost everyday. I am sad to know even if i get skinny enough to wear Jrs size, that doesn't mean I can. i am too old
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

Yay, what not to wear! I think skinny jeans, on most people, don't really work. unless you have a tiny stomach, they give you killer muffin top
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

LOL, I had that exact same experience when I first tried on size 10 work trousers in a store It was the first time I felt like I looked good, not just "better."

But I actually buy my jeans smaller than my trousers.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-15-2009 at 08:11 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

I also buy what fits. Not what the size says. You will never regret that decision.

I weigh close to 170# and am barely 5'4". In fact, I'm probably closer to 5'3". And, yet, I can wear a size 8 or 10 skirt in many brands. Also, I'm a size 8 khakis (Dockers & Banana Republic) and size 12 jeans (Levis) and size 10 jeans (Banana Republic).

According to most height/weight charts, I should wear a size 14/16. I guess have a martian body.... ;-)
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #8  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

It never fails to amaze me how unbelievably [I]different[I] women's bodies can be. I weighed 175ish in college at 5'4'', and was still wearing size 18 jeans, while a friend of mine is about 200 at 5'1'', and wears size 12 jeans. So not fair. One would think that being three inches taller and 25 lbs lighter (at the time), that I would have worn a smaller size jeans. But then, she doesn't mind muffin top and I am still kind of horrified by it. On myself, it doesn't make me think any less of anyone else, I just can't help feeling that mine is revolting. So wierd.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #9  
My Wedding Day 6.19.10

S/C/G: 172/167/115

Height: 5'2"

Lol. I agree with Freshman. I have never in all my life rocked a muffin top. But there are people who do and completely don't even think twice about it. I could never not only because mine too, revolts me, but because it's soooo uncomfortable. Even if you "cover it up" with a sweatshirt or something, it's totally a no-go comfort wise.
IansGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

When I was pregnant, I wore "ultra low-rise" jeans from Old Navy. What a joke! They were perfect for my pregnant belly, but my god, I can't believe anyone wears those things. Even with the tiniest belly...

If you wear clothes that fit, you'll never have a muffin top.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

I remember when I was between a senior and junior in high school I stayed the same size consistently... I was a very muscular person 5'6 132-138 pounds. I never even tried my jeans on when I went to go buy them... I would grab "Levis 518 size 5" in a couple of different colors and go on my merry little way... now, i have to try EVERY PAIR on because I can wear an 8-10 in women's but in Juniors, I am an 11-13... LOL I will never forget the first time I brought home a pair of the levis that i COULDNT get past my hips... I was devastated and thought they must have been mis-marked...so I went to the store and tried on another pair... in my struggle to put them on, my ankle got caught in the jeans and I fell face first into the mirror.... the woman tending the dressing room came to check on me... I was so embarrased when I walked out as I had a HUGE red mark on my forehead and my eyes were watering from when I knocked my nose... hahahah ....I wonder what would happen if I tried a pair of those on now... the entire building would probably get knocked over...
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

I also buy what fits, but I refuse to go above a size 12 ...... If the 10 doesn't fit, well, I just don't buy it, I will not try a size 12 or god forbid a size 14
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #13  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

You know, it's really interesting getting other "real people"'s perspective on clothing, rather than just what's shoved down our throats by retailers and designers. I was SO relieved when belly shirts went out of style, cause that was happening just as I started gaining weight, lol. So I think everyone has a different pov when it comes to clothes.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 143.8/131.2/120

Height: 5'7''

I just thought I would post.. this is a very interesting topic! I was totally thinking of What Not To Wear!
I think a lot of people wear sizes they should not be wearing. People are scared of the number and refuse to go up a size even if they desparately need it. I am guilty of it as well! I don't know why we think that way! And esp since sizes have inflated so much the past years. I think a size 2 today is not what a size 2 was like 20 years ago.
JessieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Jessie, you are so very right...not that I wear a size 2 BUT, I can easily wear a size 6 in any department store and in any brand. One of the things I am really into lately are (gasp) thrift stores. The pants and jeans from just a few years ago are cut at least one size smaller than today's jeans. In high school I was 135 and I remember always wearing a size 8 then. Most 8's are too baggy now.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote