Planning & Chat Jan 5 - 11

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • Hey Claire, I weigh 156-158 too, and I'm only 5'3'' ... Eating is definitely the most important part, they say 80% of the equation and I've been lax with the food in the last couple of years too ... Even exercising a lot, doesn't help, and I'll be 52 soon .... I was 140ish a couple of years ago and I felt great at that weight...
  • hikerchick - are you the same hikerchick I know from RA?
  • Hello feathers.

Hope you all have great weekends planned. It's 10am here and I'm usually just coming in from my walk or run round about now but today it's all a bit topsy turvy so am just about to head out.

Seems like a general stuggle is going on with us all in the food rather than the exercise department. I had a great week (my week starts on a Saturday) up until Thursday and then I just ate from the moment I got up Thursday till I went to bed last night. Saturday's my weigh in so I weighed with my eyes closed and then saw I was 143 exactly - lowest weight in 5 years I have no idea how that happened but it's given me a kick up the proverbials.

Abby - how you doing with the quitting? Sending you willpower and positive vibes. I know how hard it is, even when you really want it.

D x
  • Quote: Claire - i am right there with you.

Right now I am working on bringing order in to the rest of my life and hoping that eating follows because the more I try to order my eating the more disordered it gets.
    Ennay - It's nice to know someone is in the same boat. Somehow that helps a little and makes me feel a little less disappointed in myself. We are human!

I relate so much to what you've said about getting life in order, so that the eating will follow. It's all so darned interconnected! It seems to be the struggle of my life to find balance, to get organized (time and things), etc. etc. I am happily married, but we have no kids. Yet, I feel as though I'm often chasing my tail.

I teach (a large stressor and exhausting factor in my life), and we just had a very nice two week break. I spent lots of time with family and friends, but I also managed to do lots of long overdue organizing in my house and tie up lots of loose ends in my life -- crossing things off my list that have been on there for MONTHS or even longer gave me a sense of peace and helped me sleep better. I feel more ready to now tackle the body stuff - eating/exercise - but I still feel I have a ways to go. In fact, I feel it's unending. I am also currently not 100% happy with my job and some other areas of life, so those things filter in to how I care for myself too. Anyway, just wanted to share that. It's all kind of subconscious, but I know it's all connected. It's helping me to recognize it and begin to tackle it all.

Well, yesterday was good for food - first time in while. Calories 1300. A little lower than what I'm shooting for, but I need a day like that. No exercise last two days, but I will be moving today and tomorrow.

Have a healthy day, ladies! We're all in this together.
  • Hi to everyone else and welcome back to Hiker! I remember you.

Ilene and the rest - I read Ennay's and responded without reading any further. Now that I read, I truly see that MANY of us are in a very similar place. Life moves fast these days, and we can easily get in these slumps. Any laxness certainly is showing up in extra pounds, dang it! And Ilene - As for saying you FELT so much better at 140 - that's the thing with me now - I can FEEL every extra pound. When I am standing in front of my class at school, sitting in the car driving, sitting on the toilet in the morning (looking down at my BIG tummy! where did that come from - is that me?), not being able to wear any of my clothes comfortably. I just hate the way I feel - I don't "wear" extra weight well.

We can do this, girls!
  • I am at goal now and have been for a year, but, hey, I am not bragging, I have been exactly where some of you are, many times, in fact, I have lost only to have it slowly creep back. This just seems to a problem of us who fight the losing battle. In my case I had to learn how to maintain. It wasn't losing that was the problem it was keeping it off. I learned from those who have lost a lot of weight and have kept it off for a significant period of time. The person who said constant vigilance is 100% right.
  • Hi, I'm just starting out here, so I'm a little behind on what's going one with everyone, but I've read through this forum, so hopefully I'm not too lost. I've been eating between 1220 and 1550 calories a day, averaging around 1430, and I'm trying to get in at least a half hour of walking every day.
    I had an incident with my scale this morning. I had started this week off with new determination. Got on the scale monday morning, and it read 149. Through out the week i lost 3 pounds (mainly water weight, I feel so much less bloated). Then, this morning, it occured to me I never zeroed my scale before i started. It was actually saying I was thinner than I was. So, with dread, I zero the thing and get on. Down another quarter pound. It really started out the day right. even with the scale saying i was about a half pound lighter than I was, I still managed to pull off a loss. It validates all the walking I've been doing.
    Something I've noticed with my own body-not sure it works for everyone else-is if I really stick to my plan, the weight doesn't always come off. The day I eat a little more, but not going crazy, it drops again. Does any one else notice this?
    I hope maybe I'm able to inspire some motivation in some with my scale story. Its nice reading what every one else goes through, too.
  • Ennay, I don't think that's me. As a matter of fact it's probably not since I don't know what the initials stand for. I was hear for about a year...and stopped checking in about a year ago. I remember you. I hung around ladies who lift, running, this forum and a maintainers mostly.

I got busy and tired about obsessing but it is a slippery slope between not obsessing and going hog wild. KWIM? I am so happy to be back. First off I am eating so much better and second I am going to be active again. I was so dang fit and now I am just kind of frumpy again. Not quite feeling fat but my belly is starting to get so much more pooh like. So no more of that little extra somthing at 11:00 and such.

Went shopping today and spent 300$ eek. I am going to have to figure out how to shop healthy and cheap. Higher protien foods tend to be a little more expensive. I still do have about 20lbs of beans and 20lbs of rice sitting around so that might be a good way to keep costs down. Anyhow its week number one so I figure a little economic splurge isn't too bad.

Bargoo, woo hoo for hitting goal, that is just great!!!!!

JadeBlue, perhaps you need to eat a bit more to loose. I have heard if you eat too little that your metabolism slows. You might want to play around with calories a bit. Congrats on the loss sounds like you are doing very well.

I haven't bothered with the scale yet today. I know I am doing well and sticking to plan so its got to be better than before.
  • Quote: Something I've noticed with my own body-not sure it works for everyone else-is if I really stick to my plan, the weight doesn't always come off. The day I eat a little more, but not going crazy, it drops again. Does any one else notice this?
    A lot of people have noticed that too. It does seem to make some sense. OTOH, it can be an illusion too - obviously, if you stay on (a good) plan long enough, eventually you'll lose anyway.
  • Crashing, crashing, crashing
    I'm dogsitting again and this computer just doesn't like 3FC. It runs at snail speed, if at all, and if anyone else is posting at the same time I am the darn thing just crashes.

I haven't gotten fully back on track as there were things lingering from the holidays. DH had to have his "last blast" and I joined him.

The dumb thing is that I feel so much better physically when I'm OP. Can't quite figure out why I go off plan. Seems like I'm still the same 5 lbs. from goal that I was half a year ago.

I think I'm going to try hypnosis. Can't hurt and I'm tired of fighting the same thing over and over again with no results. Anxiety makes me eat. Find a way to control the anxiety and I control the eating. It works in theory.

Dagmar
  • Quote: The dumb thing is that I feel so much better physically when I'm OP. Can't quite figure out why I go off plan.
    Ain't that the truth.

Kicking self in butt and getting back on the horse.

Great workout today food is good. Must remember to keep things this way.

I made a deal with myself to not drink any alcohol unless I am at least under 145. I may stay away from wine the whole time I haven't decided but at least 145 I figure this will keep me honest. In addition to all the calories I think the alcohol gets me dehidrated and tempted to snack. If I am tempted to have a drink I will instead do a yoga video.
  • Quote:
    The dumb thing is that I feel so much better physically when I'm OP. Can't quite figure out why I go off plan.
    Yesterday was off plan, today is OP....I belong to the /dumb club too ... WHEN will I learn??!! and I too feel so much better when I'm on plan....

Today was a gorgeous day here... I ran this morning it was -15C bright and sunny with no wind, a perfect day... This type of day has to be my favourite kind of day to run in...
  • Quote: Yesterday was off plan, today is OP....I belong to the /dumb club too ... WHEN will I learn??!! and I too feel so much better when I'm on plan....

Today was a gorgeous day here... I ran this morning it was -15C bright and sunny with no wind, a perfect day... This type of day has to be my favourite kind of day to run in...
    The story of my life... not staying on plan even though I know I feel better when OP.

Ilene - how cold is that in fahrenheit??
  • Today is a good day..I am down 2 lbs and the eagles beat the giants.

Tomorrow my co-workers will be notified that I have put my resignation in. I am pretty interested to see how they are going to react.God I cant wait to have that added stress out of my life.

My bf and I are planning a vacation for early may...does anyone have any good ideas for us? We both really have not traveled all that much and we are looking for some great ideas where to go. I am thinking more of a tropical getaway
  • It was a good football game. The Eagles really played well.
    I haven't been many places, either, but my bf and I are trying to go to New Orleans sometime this year.
    I ate high sodium yesterday, I feel kinda bloated today, but my energy level is way up. I also got some sports bras that actually work (I'm a 36DD) so I can focus more on getting in shape and being able to breath when I work out, instead of worrying about jiggly breasts.