Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Default Waning motivation :S

Ok well I am having a recurring problem with staying motivated to keep losing weight. If I don't track calories or pay attention to my eating I tend to stay between 145-150. I'm not entirely happy with the way my body looks at this weight, but it's not horrible. I don't know what the point is of losing weight any more! I'm not at risk for health problems, I'm not 'overweight', and I sort of think I will always look like this. I do however have fitness goals I want to achieve and the motivation hasn't gone from that. I would like to look a lot less jiggly and more fit, but is it really worth all the work? What do I do??

*Edit* My highest weight was 165, which I definitely don't want to be again.

Last edited by aneleh; 01-04-2009 at 02:37 PM.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Motivation is bunk.

It waxes & wanes with the moon. It's uncontrollable, and unreliable.

If you want to lose weight, it's going to take more than just wanting to. Because sometimes I want a cookie, doesn't mean I'm going to eat it.

It's going to take true commitment. Doing things that you don't want to, in order to keep going. If that means that you have to track calories each day, because that's what's going to help you lose weight. Then you just have to do it.

I know, that's not what we want to hear. And it's not always terribly helpful, but that's the way it is.

If, however, you don't want to lose anymore weight, and you'd rather focus entirely on fitness goals then that's something different. In fact, being fit, building muscle and working out can help you to 'sculpt' (for lack of a better word) a body that you may appreciate more. Even then, it's going to take commitment to keep going
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

At some point, you really DO have to decide what is worth it and what isn't. And that is of course a very individual thing.

I'm still losing but I'm losing slowly. I'm sure not calorie counting anymore has something to do with it . To me, that's worth it. For the first 40 pounds, calorie counting WAS worth it. Neither one invalidates the other.

If you decide it IS worth it, then what Faerie said is true. You look for motivation and inspiration wherever you can, but you do not DEPEND on it. You just do what you have to do, because you CHOOSE to. Just like you choose to brush your teeth and go to work.

By the way, are you doing any strength training? Based on your goals, it is absolutely the way for you to go

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-04-2009 at 11:14 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think that without the motivation, you'll probably have quite a bit of trouble with your loss (especially as a featherweight, since you'll need to work out a lot).
If you're sure that this is a long-term motivation problem, not just one of the normal ups and downs we all have, then perhaps you can focus on maintaining for a while, until you feel like you want to get back in to it.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Hmm I see what you guys mean. My motivation comes and goes aaall the time. Maybe I will try to stick to calorie counting for the next 30 days no matter how motivated I am and then see what happens? I think this lack of motivation is driven by my wanting to stuff my face lol.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
I would like to look a lot less jiggly and more fit, but is it really worth all the work?
IF you want to look «less jiggly and more fit» YES ..... It just depends how much you really, really want it.... And at your height and weight, which as you said is very healthy, IMHO, I would concentrate on weight training, to reshape your body, and some cardio to burn fat and keep your heart healthy...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #7  

That's my story too! Motivation really does come and go...you just have to make a commitment and decide that, no matter what, you're going to do it. If you had an assignment at work or school, you would do it even if you didn't feel like it, right? That's how I look at exercise and counting calories. I make it a point to write down everything I eat in my food journal and schedule time in my planner to work out, like it's a "real" commitment (because it is...even if it's just a commitment to myself!). Even if I'm tired after work, or don't feel like waking up early...it's in my planner, so I have to do it! The good feeling you get when you're able to cross it off your "to-do list" is worth it.

Good luck, and stick with your goals!
ntbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote