Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/159/130

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

Default A Question about Carbs

SO I was reading this diet my friend gave me from her nutritionist and it rules out all starchy carbs. I have been eating all whole grains, oatmeal and brown rice as my starchy carbs lately and I wanted to know if those are ok? I typically have 1 starchy carb with each meal and I try to keep it in moderation. I am at the beginning of my weight loss so should I cold turkey the carbs or continue what I am doing? Thanks!!
Jworion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Starchy carbs (especially whole grain ones) are very healthy, and if you're not having problems with them, there's no reason to stop eating them.

I've cut way back on them (I eat them daily, but not at every meal) because I'm insulin resistant, and even "good" carbs whole-grains and some high-sugar fruits can sometimes make me hungrier, or slow my weight loss. So, I'm a little more careful with them than say, low starch carbs like broccoli and even carrots and beets (some people avoid even those because they perceive them to be a problem).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-20-2008 at 11:04 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I agree, if you're losing weight with what you're doing keep doing it... When you reach a plateau maybe then you can take out a starchy carb at one meal.

I find that if I cut out good carbs too much I crave bad carbs... So I'm better off eating them in moderation...l
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I personally only have wholesome starchy carbs at breakfast and sometimes at lunch time. Unless it's a cheat day I don't have them in the evening.

But, as long as you are losing weight doing what you are doing keep going... if and when you hit a plateau then I would suggest cutting starchy carbs out at the evening meal.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote