Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Default Weight keeps going down, but I still feel fat.

So I'm 5'4 with a small frame, and am currently 123 pounds. I know that this is within the normal weight range for someone of my weight and height, and I am seeing a lot of progress as far as the scale is concerned. I even am noticing that parts of my body look a lot thinner than they used to when I was at my starting weight (141 lbs).

But I look at myself in the mirror, and I just look so damn fat! I have fat on my stomach and my thighs, and I have armpit fat or whatever that is, and I just feel like I'm never going to be thin enough. I don't know what to do. I work out every day, changing up my routine all the time. I eat small meals every 3 hours to keep up my metabolism. I take iron supplements and multi-vitamins. My goal weight is 115 lbs, but I feel like even when I get there, I'm still going to look like a fat tub of lard

Does anyone else feel the way I do?
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking watch who you're calling fat missy!

I'm your height and weigh 132 lbs. and think I look pretty terrific! I can always lose another 5 lbs but can't almost everyone?

It's hard to shift gears sometimes to having the actual body size match the image we carry in our heads yes? Maybe your brain hasn't made the shift yet? You probably look great already and will see that soon!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Default In your head

Zima,

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, up and down, up and down. As a child was heavy, but had no idea until my classmates pointed it out to me and made me feel bad. I lost weight around age 14-16 and was thin but I had no idea! I felt so bad about myself that I didn't enjoy being thin and now I could absolutely kick myself. Now I'm 23, and weigh 191 lbs. Some days I don't feel that heavy and other days I do.

I wish I had the answer to "cure" your thinking, because believe me- You. Are. Thin. But I guess there isn't a quick fix. You're just going to have to figure out how to be comfortable with yourself. I hope that you can find a way to enjoy your healthy self because there's no reason that you should be depressed about your size.

Best wishes.
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Zima -
I'm sorry you feel fat. I'm your height, and have a small frame and weigh 130. Like Mudpie - I think I look pretty terrific! Is every part of me fat-free? Heaven's no. I am a woman - we are going to have body fat - it is the way God created us!

Maybe mixing up your workout - make sure you are including weights and toning exercises like pilates/yoga. Be patient with yourself, and try seeing the positive, rather than the negative. I think EVERYONE can find areas of their body they think aren't perfect.

Most of all, be patient with yourself, love yourself and celebrate the strong and capable woman that you are
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Women are supposed to have a little fat for our hormones to work properly. I don't know if you are lifting weights or not, but that will help firm things up.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is harder to see it in ourselves. It goes away gradually, now someone that hasn't seen you in awhile would notice the change in your appearance right away. I am your height and at 121 and don't really notice the change unless I am buying new clothes or looking at old pictures. Do you have any pictures of yourself at your highest weight? Compare that with a current picture, I'll bet you will notice a big change.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #7  

Thanks to everyone for your responses You are the best.

Yes, I do an hour of weight training every other day...it's a class offered at my gym. And I do at least a half hour of cardio every day.

You're right, bargoo. It's harder to see the weight loss in myself because I look at myself every day. My brother saw me for the first time in months and told me I looked skinny, and I thanked him and felt good for a bit...but then the nagging feeling that I wasn't yet where I wanted to be came creeping back. Bleh.

Last edited by Zima; 07-13-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #8  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Zima, I had the weirdest sensation reading your post-- I could have written it... for a moment I thought I had written it and forgotten about it.
I am your same height and weight, and I too have a small frame, and I keep noticing more that is wrong with my body as I lose weight! In the past I thought I looked really good at 130ish, so I'm not sure what is different.
Health is a mind game on so many different levels!!
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #9  

Mariarose, thank you for your response. I keep thinking "Maybe at 130 I'll look good" and I didn't, then I thought "Okay, maybe at 125" and I didn't, and now I know I won't look good yet at 120, so that's why I've set my goal to 115. I was 115 about 4 years ago, but I had less Boobs and Butt, so I'm hoping the rest of me will look smaller considering the weight in my B and B. If not then maybe I'll try 110. I don't know if I'm ever going to be satisfied.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

I completely hear you. I'm your height and around 130... quite healthy for my build, and my family and friends have been commenting recently about how good i look. Sometimes i feel pretty good, but there's this little thing in my head very often when i look at myself that just does NOT notice a difference from 5-10 lbs. ago. i know i'm MUCH better than my highest (about 170) but I'm just don't see myself as looking as good as others seem too. I wonder if I'll feel any better after the last 5-10 lbs?? it's frustrating - somehow we've just got to re-program ourselves but i don't know how!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

i feel the same way. its weird because last time i was at this weight i remember feeling good, but this time i don't at all. whenever i catch my reflection i feel like a cow. when people tell me i've lost weight i mostly feel embarassed because i think they're just trying to make me feel better.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Try taking a picture of yourself and putting it next to a "before" picture. When we lose weight so slowly, our body image doesn't keep pace with reality. In putting together my goal collage, I was absolutely in tears when I saw the two pictures side by side.

I think seeing the picture, might help you to realize that you are really quite fit and beautiful NOW!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote