Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #1  

Default How to take it up a notch

Over the last few years I have lost 48 lbs. But at 164, I totally got stuck. I stopped losing as fast and it was really effort to lose. I couldn't *cheat* at all over my calories or I would gain.

I started really losing my way. Eating more, and because I seemed to have a lower BMR gaining easier. I have gained back 8 lbs and that also has made me feel so defeated.

I think it is all in my head now. At this particular point my mind totally believes that I can't really lose the rest. I have been trying things and failing. Such as eating less (which just makes me binge) exercise, which it seems I can't keep up with due to my job and life -- which has over the last few months constantly gotten in my way.

I have been mulling running but I feel like this might be ill conceived. I suck at running and I think that might not be the way to go... but then I feel like that is me being lazy.

Thoughts on how I can get a plan for someone who is at that hard point? I watch the biggest loser and I see this area on the biggest loser. They all get to this point where it is so much harder. But they can take it up a notch and have much more time and equipment to push though.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #2  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

for what it's worth I sucked at running too but started doing it anyway 3 years ago and it's taken me pretty far in my weight loss journey. I know of some very good beginner plans if you're interested.

Aside from that, I understand how you're feeling. I kinda did the same thing when I lost my weight in the beginning and now here I sit trying to get some more off and it's not coming. I wouldn't give up on the exercise but rather keep switching it up so that you don't get bored and your body doesn't get complacent. If life gets in the way, do something different but you should be able to squeeze something in. Doesn't have to be at the gym, just has to be moving. Any chance you could rope somebody into doing it with you?
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Last summer I felt I was "stuck" and took up running (started the couch to 5k running program). I really thought it would be the "thing" to help me lose. Well, it didn't. I'm actually up about 2 pounds since last summer.

I'm thinking that what I need to do is a couple weeks of fat flush or south beach phase 1 to get myself losing again. I'd also love to join a gym but don't want to go it alone and I can't talk DH into it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #4  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I hit a plateau at 159, I stayed there for months with no changes. then I started kinda giving up, ended up gaining 9 pounds to 168 over several months. Then I realized my pants were getting tight again and decided to kick it back in gear. I was really worried that once I got back down to 159 I'd be stuck again, but it really didn't happen. I think the only difference between my loss last time and this time is that I'm exercising a lot more. When I have a week where I don't lose anything, I kick it up a notch at the gym and my body has responded every time. I'm not sure that would be the case for everyone, but worth a shot! I've also heard of people having luck doing calorie cycling, where you eat a varied amount day to day to kind of confuse your body into losing weight when it doesn't want to. I don't have the discipline for that I don't think, I'd be too tempted to have more high days and less low ones I think
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #5  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I should mention my way of kicking it up a notch at the gym is to go more often (I'm up to working out about 5 times a week from 2 times a week at the start), and work harder on each thing I'm doing. Like going to the next higher program on the stair climber or putting the treadmill grade up a few percentage points, using the next highest weights, etc. Enough to make me notice the difference, but not any huge changes I couldn't handle.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineintx View Post
I should mention my way of kicking it up a notch at the gym is to go more often (I'm up to working out about 5 times a week from 2 times a week at the start), and work harder on each thing I'm doing. Like going to the next higher program on the stair climber or putting the treadmill grade up a few percentage points, using the next highest weights, etc. Enough to make me notice the difference, but not any huge changes I couldn't handle.
That's exactly what I do, bring everything up a notch...

I'm 51 and I run like a freakin' ... I'm a fraction faster than a walker BUT I work up a much better sweat than just plain walking....If you're really interested in running try the Couch to 5k program. It starts you off warming up for 5 mins, then run/jog for 1 minute then walk for 1 minute, and every week you up the ante... It's a very doable program...

I've been on a 2 year plateau it seems but I still keep plugging away...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

With my knees, running is out of the question. When I stall, I mix up my exercise. Both in intensity AND in variety. I add something new, like Zumba, or a stability ball, or Tae Bo. I also increase the amount of time I am working out - no excuses. I shoot for 5-6 hours per week naturally, so I try to go 6-7 for a week or two and it usually gets me moving in the right direction again.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #8  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Ann, at my gym we have a great class called Xtreme Xertion and while it varies weekly what we do, I'm gonna post one of our workouts. It's a 90 min class and most of the stuff can be done w/out much equipment. Things that can't you can alter or skip. But hopefully this will be different enough from your routine that it will shake your body up. If you like this workout, I have probably 4-5 more written down too.

1 min treadmill sprint (not your fastest sprint but sprint)-if no tm, run outside
30 sec push ups 30 sec rest-3x
30 sec treadmill jog 10 sec crazy sprint(your fastest)-3x
20 sec push ups 20 sec rest-3x
1 min jog 1 min sprint
10 sec push ups 10 sec rest-3x
1 min reg crunches
50-50-50-50 [reg crunches, crunch just legs, both end crunches, bicycle crunches-so really 100, 50 ea side]
biceps, dips, side delts 2 sets 30 reps[curls, dips on a bench/chair, straight arms out to the sides]
pullups inner and outer grip 30 reps[this is on the assisted pullup machine-may need to skip if you don't have access to one]
30 sec regular-30 sec skip step-30 sec regular Giant stepper FAST[can replace with more lunges]
5x across the gym doing lunges[probably 15 each way]
2 min bike resistance 20 keep it moving [any burst of cardio to keep the muscles moving/jump rope]
5x across the gym doing lunges
2 min bike resistance 20
5x across the gym doing lunges
2 min bike resistance 20
biceps, dips, side delts 2 sets 30 reps
50-50-50-50
5x across a basketball court bunny hops [like jumping squats, probably about 8 each way]
2 min bike resistance 20
5x across a basketball court bunny hops
2 min bike resistance 20
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #9  

So I started upping it this week. At the climax I did about 90 minutes of walking spaced throughout the day, and sure as shoot, I hurt my hip. I have one leg higher than the other and I guess I am not particularly in shape after the long winter.

But this is what I am doing. First I have a bike in my house. I do about 20 minutes and then I walk to the train station (15 minutes) walk from the train to work (about 15 minutes) about 30 minutes at lunch around work and then 15 minutes to the train and 15 minutes home and then 20 minutes on the bike.

But given my hip pain I am going to have to increase the bike work and cut down the walking.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote