Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #1  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Question Eating and Drinking Alternatives

Lately I've been trying to reconnect with a lot of old friends, and it seems that people always suggest "let's go out for coffee" or "let's meet for a drink." Generally, because these are people that I'm not very close with, I just say yes; it's hard to come up with other activities that are casual and not necessarily too time consuming. However, if I'm going to get serious about staying on-plan, I need to limit these. Does anyone have any other suggestions for activities that don't require eating/drinking? I live in Manhattan so of course there are plenty of things to do, but I can't think of many activities that are casual like grabbing a drink after work is.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

"Going for coffee" isn't so bad, as long as you stick with coffee instead of a calorie-laden froo-froo drink. If the coffee date is after about 3, I usually have water instead, but this can still take place at a coffee shop.

"Meeting for a drink" is a bit harder, but I often suggest coffee instead on the grounds that I have work to do at night, which is true enough even if I don't get to it!

I suppose you could suggest meeting at an art gallery or walk in the park, but obviously that requires the right kind of friend and the right kind of day.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #3  
A Moment on the Lips...

S/C/G: 172/101/97

Height: 5'0"

Ya I'm having the same problem... I try to steer clear of dinner dates and so coffee/drinks is usual what i suggest.

I'm forcing myself to start liking my coffee black... I know it'll take some time but its the best thing next to water since its calorie free... i suppose one can always resort to adding Splenda to sweeten it

and as for alcoholic beverages, I tend to stick to a shot or two. I get the effect quickly without the bloat of all the fluid in my tummy and extra cals from the fruity mixers. another thing you have to probably force down but if you are looking to cut cals its hard any other way except anything with mineral water or club soda... also using diet coke works too
xFatKidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Tavalon

There's a place on 14th called Tavalon which is a tea shop. It's got tastings, music, etc. Tea has less caffeine that coffee and there are fun things to do/see/shop for in the shop. And you can have herbal teas without any milk that taste pretty good and have no caffeine.

Or how about meeting for a juice? I didn't get to any juice bars but they have some healthy offerings and it could count as dinner if you add the right things into it.

Dagmar (knows her caffeine)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

How about:
- Meeting in Central Park and going for a walk. It's a great opportunity to talk, doesn't require anyone to be in great shape (walking is easy), and you have Central Park at your disposal, why not take advantage of it. My SO and I often suggest hikes to our friends. The walk can be as long or as short as you want. Of course, at some point it will get to cold or wet to do this, but it could be an option at least part of the year.
- Meeting for pedicures. I do this with my friends once a month (of course, we also go out to dinner afterwards, but that's because we need more time and it's only once a month). It's also a great opportunity to talk. Usually they take 30 min to an hour, so they aren't too time consuming.
- Any friends you could go shopping with? You could catch up with a friend and knock out some holiday shopping at the same time.

It's also worth scouting out restaurants where you can stay on plan. If I have a choice over where we eat dinner, I'll suggest a place where I can get something that fits in my calorie plan. If I can find places in the suburbs, there must be places in NY.

When you go out for drinks, you don't have to have a drink. Have a diet soda or sparkling water. If anyone questions it, say you have to get up early, you are fighting off a cold, or you want to go the gym later--there's lots of excuses not to drink.

I also think meeting for coffee or tea is a great option. I put skim milk (why don't any coffee places stock fat free half and half ) and sugar-free syrup in mine (almost every coffee shop has sugar free vanilla syrup, if nothing else) and it is a nice, low-calorie beverage.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 11-29-2007 at 03:29 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #6  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Height: 5'0"

I had a dinner date with an old friend of mine from high school, we went to this cute little place on 2nd between 75th and 76th....

I generally tend to lean towards either New American cuisine or Western European....at the very least these have some type of grilled lean meat...and or salad offering that isn't going to break the bank...calorically speaking.

Chinese, Thai and Indian foods are THE WORST...especially because I am so weak when it comes to them. Good luck! I do like the idea of meeting for coffee but am very averse to Starbucks (it's those Caramel Macchiattos!) There's also Teany (MOby's tea shop)....very green but...it's nice and casual.

You could go to menupages.com and find a restaurant..scope out the menu and suggest something...no?
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote