Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #16  

Height: 5'6

Default Black November

Thought you guys might enjoy this poem someone sent me. Maybe we should all be on the turkey's plan this year :

Black November

When I was a young turkey, new to the coop,
My big brother Mike took me out on the stoop,
Then he sat me down, and he spoke real slow,
And he told me there was something that I had to know;
His look and his tone I will always remember,
When he told me of the horrors of..... Black November;
"Come about August, now listen to me,
Each day you'll get six meals instead of just three,
"And soon you'll be thick, where once you were thin,
And you'll grow a big rubbery thing under your chin;
"And then one morning, when you're warm in your bed,
In'll burst the farmer's wife, and hack off your head;
"Then she'll pluck out all your feathers so you're bald 'n pink,
And scoop out all your insides and leave ya lyin' in the sink;
"And then comes the worst part!" he said not bluffing,
"She'll spread your cheeks and pack your rear with stuffing".
Well, the rest of his words were too grim to repeat,
I sat on the stoop like a winged piece of meat,
And decided on the spot that to avoid being cooked,
I'd have to lay low and remain overlooked;
I began a new diet of nuts and granola,
High-roughage salads, juice and diet cola;
And as they ate pastries, chocolates and crepes,
I stayed in my room doing Jane Fonda tapes;
I maintained my weight of two pounds and a half,
And tried not to notice when the bigger birds laughed;
But 'twas I who was laughing, under my breath,
As they chomped and they chewed, ever closer to death;
And sure enough when Black November rolled around,
I was the last turkey left in the entire compound;
So now I'm a pet in the farmer's wife's lap;
I haven't a worry! , so I eat and I nap;
She held me today, while sewing and humming,
And smiled at me and said: "Christmas is coming..."
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #17  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Dagmar - not sure what your exercise routine is, but the calories from the cookies are about 24 miles of walking/running. If you can do 4 miles/day (that's about an hour/day, assuming a power walk of 15 mins/mile), you'll have made up for it in less than a week. An extra hour of cardio a day sounds (like a pain but at least) somewhat manageable, especially if you break it up and just do four 15-minute walks throughout the day.

I usually have a big (24 oz or so) smoothie as part of my breakfast (which consists of that plus some form of grain, either cereal or a whole wheat English muffin), but this morning I decided to skip it. It's not THAT unhealthy: a bunch of frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, mango, all unsweetened), maybe a banana, 1/2 cup of juice, 1 scoop protein powder. However, I know all that sugar in the morning probably isn't the best idea, even if most of it is natural sugar. So today I just had cereal with a bit of almond milk (mmm makes my raisin bran SO delicious), and then an Asian pear just now when I got to work.

Okay, I just got curious and did the nutrition analysis for the smoothie, and it's not as bad as I thought. 325 cals, 1g fat, and 39g sugar... BUT it also has 9g fiber, 20g protein, 179% of my vitamin C for the day, and smaller amounts of other vitamins/minerals. Maybe I should go back to having that after all!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Okay, the poem made me laugh! Thanks!!!

I'm doing okay. I've felt like I was getting a cold for the past few days but it never really "stuck." I think I'm pretty much over it, but DD, who started it all, is still sick with it (and feeling pretty bad today). I've been eating okay--not too much in the way of candy, everything pretty low fat and all, but my weight is inching up. I got in a good run this morning, so I hope to see a drop soon.

Have a great day everyone!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenestealer View Post
Dagmar - not sure what your exercise routine is, but the calories from the cookies are about 24 miles of walking/running. If you can do 4 miles/day (that's about an hour/day, assuming a power walk of 15 mins/mile), you'll have made up for it in less than a week. An extra hour of cardio a day sounds (like a pain but at least) somewhat manageable, especially if you break it up and just do four 15-minute walks throughout the day.
I walk dogs for a living. I'm out there from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day. It's not continuous though nor is it at the pace you suggested.

I know I can burn off the calories. That's not what's bothering me. It's figuring out how to not eat the whole package of cookies at once . I know there are people out there who can keep a package of cookies in the house for weeks and have just one or two a day (my dad is one of those people).

I have to figure out how to do that. Other wise I'll be gaining and losing the same 5-10 lbs. for the rest of my life and that's just not healthy.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #20  
TBL Red Team Member

Have to say that I am jealous of you walking dogs every day... my job consists of sitting in the office from 9 AM usually till 8 PM or so (though on my last project, it was 8 AM to midnight most days). Hard to get exercise in!

I have been experiencing something weird with onions lately. I made a simple salsa (basically just chopped up tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and parsley) to go with an egg, and I felt really sick to my stomach after I ate it. It seemed like it was just too much onion, and I felt... the best way I can describe it is "too acidic." It got better when I ate bread, drank milk, etc. So today, I made a salad for lunch, and put just a FEW onions on, but the same thing happened, and I ended up sneaking a teeny bit of potato salad from the office catering to make it better (I wiped the mayonnaise/sauce off as best as I could though)! I used to absolutely love onions - is it possible to all of a sudden develop some kind of intolerance for them? Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Dagmar

I guess I'm a little like your dad. I too buy snack size candy bars and hide them from DH (cause he eats anything sweet in the house and leaves nothing for me). Now I don't eat a lot of sweets, but every now and then I get a craving, so a bag of snack size candy bars can last me a couple of months.

I wonder if it might be emotional. I tend to over eat (regular and junk food) when I am feeling down. I just don't care . I read some of your post in the last few weeks and it seems like maybe you are just feeling a little down right now (DH and dog walking laws). You can shake this thing. I know it's hard but you have to give yourself a little attitude adjustment every now and then. I know I do . Try to think of things in a different way. Sometimes we forget about our fortunes (or blessings). It helps me sometimes to not think about what I don't have (or am not happy about) and try to think about what I do have (and am happy about). I think you'll find that we all have more blessings than we realize .

Anyway, enough of that. So what, you ate a box of cookies . Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again. Live and learn. It's not the end of the world and you are doing so well.

Keep up the good work
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi girls,

I've been back from San Fran for a week, but i've had a hard time getting out of the vacation mindset. I gained 3-4 lbs, and I feel quite huge. We had a GREAT time, but I've got to get back on track.

Just wanted to say hi and check in. I'll catch up on reading here later. See ya!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #23  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

What a day! At school from 8:30 until 5:30. Lots of studying to be done!!!

Dagmar - I understand the not being able to just "have one". I'm definitely not the type who can have cookies or anything sweet just hanging around. Or at least I wasn't. I'm finding that's changing a bit as my eating style changes for the better. Hopefully it'll stick anyway, so I have healthier eating for the rest of my life.
Oh! And I'm so jealous of your job. How long have you been doing it for? Is it fun?

scenestealer - some foods are considered "acidic" and some are considered "alkanine". I'm not sure what an onion falls under, but if you look it up online you can find the foods that are good to eat for a less acidic environment in your stomach.

abbyin - I agree with what your saying. At least for me I think eating is very emotional. Especially the over eating; when I'm feeling down I just want that comfort of food. I hate those times when I can't feel full no matter how much I eat... That's when I know it's my feelings of sadness/loneliness.

Alright. I'm off... I'm going to either study or go outside for a walk/run thing because I'm getting antsy and I'm not sure I'll be able to focus.

Last edited by Cats tongue; 11-06-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #24  

Talking Thanks, I needed that

I'm glad you're back abbyin. Thanks ! Your analysis and advice are dead-on.

My DH and I had the "will you leave Toronto?" argument the morning before I bought the cookies. The evening I ate them we had revisited that same subject. I was angry at him all day and took it out on myself - DUMB!

Back on track now and luring myself to the Christmas goal with a killer red satin dress and black satin pumps outfit that I will buy the very second my scale hits 130

Dagmar
Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #25  

Thumbs down Raw onions = stomach upset

Scenestealer I have the same problem with the onions and I have a theory that explains why it happens.

I used to eat raw onions just on full fat burgers and I was fine. Then restaurants started putting raw red onions into salads and I got several severe cases of heartburn from salads before I figured out what ingredient was causing this .

Now I have always (since I was a kid) preferred to eat my salad "naked" - no dressing (it's a Canadian thing - no, just kidding! ). I haven't tried the onions with dressing with fat in it.

Maybe the fat in our food "buffers" the acid in the onions. When we switch to a lower fat diet (as most of us losing weight do) we lose that buffer and the onions upset our stomachs.

It's not science but Hey! it makes sense for my own personal situation.

Dagmar (raw onion and cookie free)
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Red satin! Vavoom! I think we need pictures.

It's snowing! Beautiful big flakes falling straight down. Very pretty. It's been sooo windy for a few days I was a bit afraid of the forecast flurries but this is nice. I'll enjoy walking my errands today.

I've got a little more energy today. I guess I was just tired and I forgot I had a flu shot on Monday. A little extra sleep has helped.
I also need to remember to eat (which sounds funny coming from me). But if I feel awful, I just go schlump in a corner somewhere. I should eat something nutritious ... and then go nap
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5'5''

Ah! I'm kind of in a rut. I haven't been working out regularly, but I still do watch what I eat. I'm kind of staying status quo.. I need motivation!!!
Lindsey4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Status quo is better than gaining. I've been gaining. I've got to get back with the plan.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Susan. Dagmar, we want pictures!

I'm not having such a great day today. I started out over sleeping and so I stopped to grab breakfast at . Bad idea. Now the egg mcmuffin and a lowfat milk aren't too bad calorie wise but this always sets me up for a bad day, foodwise. I don't even want to say what I had for lunch .

Anyway, I better get this day back on track and quick . Low cal dinner for me tonight.

Hope everyone else is having a better day than me
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #30  
TBL Red Team Member

My team and I just went out for lunch to Delmonico's, this really nice steakhouse near work. Situations like this are SO problematic, because it's rude to pull any of the tricks like getting salad dressing on the side and dipping your fork, or asking for only half of a meal and getting the rest boxed (or even not getting it at all). I was able to skip the wine and get sparkling water, and I opted for fish instead of steak (but it was with a fried potato patty on top, and came smothered in black truffle sauce). So really not that healthy at all. According to DailyPlate, I ate 1088 calories, and I would guess that's less than I actually ate just because of how rich everything tasted and all the oils and butter I'm sure it was cooked in that I didn't account for.

Tonight my dinner is definitely going to be salad/veggies with no dressing, and I'm going to have to hit the gym for a LONG time. Now I see why people say there is the "Consulting 15," meaning the 15 pounds you put on in your first year! I WILL eat healthy for the rest of the week and avoid it.

Anyone have advice for dealing with these kinds of situations and not being rude when you want something healthier?