Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

That's what my DH said "Needs sauce or something." I just fried it in a little olive oil to kinda get a feel for it. I think it could be about as versatile as potatoes or rice.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:45 AM   #32  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love polenta and it is as versatile as potatoes or rice. One thing I like about it is that I find it more filling than any other starch. Half a serving is usually plenty and comes in at a mere 70 calories (compared to 160 calories for a serving of rice, 100 calories for a 4 oz potato, or 200 calories for a serving of pasta). But I don't eat it plain (although I certainly could because I like it so much).

I always keep a couple of the pre-cooked tubes of polenta that Trader Joe's sells on hand (they are also available at some more mainstream grocery stores). They come in handy for quick and easy lunches, here are a couple of my favorites:
  • 1/4 tube polenta, 3 oz cooked chicken breast, 1/2 cup refried beans, and 2 tbsp salsa. Put it all in a bowl and heat it up in the microwave. Comes in at about 300 calories and is very filling.
  • 1/4 tube polenta, 4 oz chicken or shrimp (weighed before cooking) sauteed (if using chicken, I beat it flat before sauteing it--it cooks faster that way), and some type of sauce. Sometimes I make a low calorie sauce--I have recipes for a spicy cherry sauce, a fruit sauce, and an eggplant-pepper sauce. Sometimes I just use something bottled--salsa, chutney, or pasta sauce. Comes in at around 250 calories, assuming you use a sauce that is around 50 calories a serving.

I also use regular, uncooked polenta, usually when I want polenta that is mushier than what comes in the tubes. I often serve soups and stews over it. Just last week I served broiled halibut with a yogurt-caper sauce over polenta. I also have several casserole recipes that call for polenta--one uses green tomatoes, one is for tamale pie, and one is a Mexican casserole. I have found that the easiest way to cook polenta is in the oven--trying to cook it on the stovetop is a mess and you have to stir it constantly. In the oven you just put it in and forget about it until it is done. I also cook my polenta with chicken broth instead of water and always add a little salt. Sometimes I add other spices as well. I'm thinking of experimenting with it as a crust for quiche.

Mudpie--polenta can be range of textures from very mushy to so solid that you can slice it with a knife and serve it as finger good. It's all a matter of how much liquid you add and how long you cook it. It sounds like maybe your cousin's wife didn't cook it long enough. It will also firm up as it cools. But it is made from cornmeal, it just isn't ground as fine.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 09-21-2007 at 03:46 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Polenta maybe?

After reading all of your suggestions and Barbara's yummy recipes I will give it another shot. I think I'll try the cooking in the oven method and serve it with my chicken and eggplant stew.

Sorry I don't post recipes here but I don't cook anything really low cal for dinner (DH rebels when given "diet" food). I just eat really small servings and fill up on salad/cooked veggies. I tend to use low-fat cooking methods (broil, bake) and use lots of low cal veggies in everything. DH likes veggies but not when presented as "diet" food.

Men - ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Dagmar (not playing with matches, I swear! )
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #34  

Morning everyone!

I just plunked it on the table and said "Experiment food. It's called polenta and I fried it in a little olive oil." They tried it.

I had to get DS#2 to stir it for me for the last little bit. It gets stiff! And my loaf is nice and firm for slicing.

I think little cubes would be good, instead of tortilla chips when I make taco salad.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #35  
rswlchic

S/C/G: 246/206.8/160

Height: 6'

I love polenta. Especially when it's hard enough to slice. Barbara thanks for the recipes. There is a Trader Joe's about 5 miles from my house. I will have to look into them. I have never actually made it myself.

Well so far this week has ended well. Lost 1 3/4 lbs.

Plan to run 6 miles towmorrow. Hopefully I can shed another 1/4lb by Sunday.

Last edited by rswlchic; 09-21-2007 at 01:21 PM.
rswlchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #36  

Thumbs up Woo-Hoo!!!

Quote:
Well so far this week has ended well. Lost 1 3/4 lbs.

Plan to run 6 miles towmorrow. Hopefully I can shed another 1/4lb by Sunday.
WOW! You're doing great!

Dagmar
Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #37  
rswlchic

Thanks Dagmar,

I am really trying to put in the effort to lose the weight again. So I ran my 6 miles this morning with a good time of 1 hour 1 min. I am almost at the half way point for the half marathon. It doesn't seem that hard right now but I know I will start to feel it when I get into the 9 and 10 mile range.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #38  

I'm very impressed with the 6 miles!

Morning everyone!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Me too! I run/walk for an hour, and I feel that's a good workout for me. Six miles is intense! Hope your run today is a good one Dagmar. You are really on track for your New York trip!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #40  

Default My exercise routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Me too! I run/walk for an hour, and I feel that's a good workout for me. Six miles is intense! Hope your run today is a good one Dagmar. You are really on track for your New York trip!
Just a bit of clarification - I don't run. I was cheering rswlchic on for her efforts.

I don't ever post about exercise because my job takes care of all that. I do walking, sprinting, jogs, weights, wrestling, flexibility, cardio (screaming NO! NO!), and a bizzare form of agility that involes rapidly scaling up and down large masses of tumbled boulders. I've yet to have to swim into the lake in pursuit of one of my charges but that day may come.

Now you have to guess what I do for a living.

Dagmar (The one legitimate exercise routine I do is 30 mins. of yoga every morning to prepare me for the day's action)
Old 09-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #41  

Er... duh. My DH is at band practice this morning, so I'm having a 3FC fest, reading and posting all over the place -- that is without him hovering over my shoulder asking, "How's everybody's diet going today?" (ARGH). Anyway, I scanned the page very quickly and thought Dag was now running 6 miles in addition to her dogwalking acrobatics! Boy, does that sound like a workout!

Anyway, I'm pleased to say I already got a great response to my thread on getting rid of fruit flies, so I'm going to try that now. I need to get off my duff and get going on my day.... but gosh, it's nice to just loll in front of the computer sometimes, isn't it?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #42  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Hi Girls!

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the planet. Things have just gotten really really intense at school. If I didn't know that I was going to be done soon, I might lose my mind!!!

Diet wise things are okay...I haven't gained, but I haven't lost either. Today is my birthday, so I plan on thoroughly enjoying myself! I've decided to try to become a vegetarian for ethical and environemental reasons...so mostly lately I've been focusing on trying to get all of my nutrients in, and then once I get a little more comfortable with that I want to really get back on track.

BUT, my "new years resolution" for my 24th year is that I really want to get back on track with exercising. AND I would like to get binge eating under control, and hopefully hit my goal weight by Christmas or so.
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #43  

Nic - Happy Birthday, girl!!!!

I hope school settles down for you soon, but it sounds like you are holding your own with all the stress. It's great that you're not gaining!

I hope you've done something fun to celebrate!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #44  
rswlchic

Happy B-Day Nic,

Hope you have a great birthday weekend.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #45  

Talking Happy Birthday Nic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlchic View Post
Happy B-Day Nic,

Hope you have a great birthday weekend.

Sorry I didn't see the post yesterday - was out for dinner with relatives.

Congrats on holding your own with the stress at school too.

Dagmar (eat a piece of cake for chrissakes )