Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #46  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Height: 5'4"

I did pretty good at my BF's Mom's birthday dinner last night I think We went out for greek food...I had two wedges of pita with some feta cheese, a greek salad (avoided most of the cheese), and then a veggie platter (2 pieces of spanikopita, 3 pieces of stuffed grape leaves with tzaziki...lots of rice and potatoes, but I avoided most of them). So lots of food, but I think I did okay, considering.

I am so tired today! Don't you hate those days? I think its because I wore myself out so much yesterday. I worked 7am-7pm, and then BF picked me up from work and went straight to his parents for dinner (about a 45 minutes drive)...got home around 11, fell into bed about 20 minutes later. Today will hopefully not be as crazy!
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Exclamation BED - interesting new stuff

Do any of you read "O" magazine - O being Oprah. Interesting article in the August issue regarding binge eating.

"recent study published in the journal Biological Psychiatry suggests that about 3.5 % of women suffer from BED (binge eating disorder) - more than double the incidence of bulimia and four times that of anorexia".

Nice to know that I have company and there's a name for what I do. Very fancy, and here I was referring to it as "pigging out".

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jane~no, it's still pretty hot here. The temperatures went down but the humidity went up so it's all about the same. Monday morning was absolutely the worst, today is a little less humid (so far) but that means the temps will be going up (no clouds to keep the temps down). I think we're seeing about 107 today with around 25% humidity. It can be downright disgusting at times! Monday, the air was so thick you couldn't see down the road very far.

I had an okay day yesterday. Calories came in at exactly 1300 (I had expected them to be higher, though, so I'm pleased with that number). I'm a bit sore from exercising, but at least I'm exercising. My weight is still way up. I'm thinking about removing my ticker because it is so WRONG! One day I'll be back down there!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,

Yesterday was pretty good... calories came in around 1500 (just under). That is higher than I'm shooting for, but I did get in TWO bike rides, so that's good. Also, foods were healthy and I had lots of water. I can tell my stomach is a little flatter this week, just being more focused on healthy eating, calorie counting, getting plenty of fiber, and exercising consistently. It's a good feeling, and I need to keep it up.

Allison, sorry to hear about the heat there. Here in Virginia-- where it is usually absolutely sweltering-- it has actually been very pleasant for the last 5 days. Unseasonably so. I'm trying to take advantage of it and get lots done outside.

Nic - your Greek dinner sounds like it was delicious -- good for you making healthy choices! Glad your mom was up to going out to celebrate!

Dagmar - I enjoy O magazine, but I haven't read it in a while. Sounds like an interesting article. Don't you think EVERYONE (male and female) pigs out occassionally? I mean the other 96.5% who aren't suffering from full blown BED? On holidays or when eating a favorite meal (you're full, but still eat a few more servings because it's so good and then feel miserably STUFFED... ugh). I know I have done that from time to time throughout my whole life, but I never really considered it bingeing per se... like you, just a pig out moment. Kind of an 'oh my gosh, I can't believe I just ate half that pecan pie (or a bag of chips, or 6 brownies, or whatever)' Often, for me, it's done out of mindlessness -- just watching tv or socializing and eating one after another of something. I think it must go back to our cavemen days when humans had to binge when they came across good food to sustain them until the next meal. I don't know for sure, but I think everyone binges sometimes (I realize that doesn't characterize them as BED, but I do think it causes many people to become overweight). Wonder why we do that?

Anyway, hope everyone has an excellent Thursday.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #50  

[QUOTE=walking2lose;1791076]I think it must go back to our cavemen days when humans had to binge when they came across good food to sustain them until the next meal. [QUOTE]

That's exactly the reasoning they give for the origins of the bingeing behaviour.

But by binge they mean something like "a fast food meal, pizza, cake, chips, and ice cream. A binge can rack up 2,500 to 20,000 calories" is their estimate. WHEW! I can't begin to imagine eating 20,000 calories in one go.

I've had, years ago, my nights but never anything that extreme. Now I just can't do that any more so there are some benefits to being a geezer.

Dagmar

Dagmar
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Wow. 20,000 calories in a sitting. We all know that we despise that overstuffed, bloated feeling of eating past full (way past full!), yet we all do it from time to time -- either because the food is beyond tasty, we are stressed (or bored), or whatever reason. It is comforting to know, I think, that there is some hard wired component that causes that behavior. It is obviously much more extreme in some than in others. At least doctors are seriously studying the issue now and not placing total blame on the person.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #52  
How Bad do you want it?

S/C/G: 140/135.5/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi,

I'm back after a hectic time of house sales, house purchases, and job changes. Depressed to say I never made my Birthday Goal.

That said, I moved the goal to my 2nd Anniversary [Sept. 29] and re-made the plan. But I've got a question:

Those of you who stay up late at night--what's your timing routine for your meals? I'm usually up by 9 or 10 am and go to bed around 1:30 am.

Thanks,
Cuppa
cuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #53  
Doing this for me!

Wow I don't think I could ever eat 20,000 one day, let alone one sitting! I do have occasional binging problems, but not like that! Wow.

Claire - thanks for the encouragement! It was actually my boyfriend's Mom's birthday, not my Mom's...but she is consistently getting better. Thanks for all of your good thoughts and well wishes!

Anyways, I'm glad that everybody seems to be having a good week so far! Keep chugging along!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #54  
Doing this for me!

Hi Cuppa,

We posted at almost the same time, so I didn't see your message...just wanted to say don't get too bummed out about not making your birthday goal (but happy birthday!)....just hop back onto the train and do your best! You can do this!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi everybody. A good day! 1465 cals with 41% protein, 39% carbs and 20% fats. Darned nearly perfect! I'm pretty happy about that.

Oh course now I have to go to bed and go to sleep right away No book, no TV, no crackers, no cheese ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #56  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Whittlin Congrats on your one pound gone! And thanks for letting me know how long it took for that pound to disappear. I'm into 3 and a half weeks at the same weight.

I know I have not been OP enough. At least that's what I think is doing it. It's just kind of frustrating to be doing more exercise, drinking more water, being more OP then I have been before I decided to do my best to stay OP and not have the weight come off somewhat.

But it's crazy making isn't it? I mean what am I really saying??? That the reduced measurements mean nothing!!!? Why am I so fixated on that scale!!? My measuring tape must be so frustrated with me!! Sorry, measuring tape!

Allison Thanks for the shout out to move away from complacency! I am curious what your plan is. My plan for this week was to eliminate the Chai Lattes. 4 days and counting. If I get through the week, or I should say, when I get through the week without a chai latte, my next plan is to eliminate chewy bars! I ate the last chocolate chip chewy bar today. I won't buy anymore.

Claire Glad you got on your bike twice yesterday!! Don't you just love it when your belly feels flatter!!

SusanB Wow! What a perfect day! I hope you made it to bed!!

I managed to get up for my 6:30 AM swim of 1 km and then at 5 PM, I had the urge to do Week 2 of the c25k run because I was feeling sluggish. Wow! I don't remember the last time I wanted to go running when I felt sluggish. Especially when I had already gotten my exercise in for the day. That is a huge victory! Usually, the TV calls me and a cup of Chai Latte. Good for me!
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on the 1 lb. Whittlin

Whittlin, Ilene and Dagmar - I seemed to have fallen off the train. I have'nt gained any weight but I haven't lost any either.

I've had some emotional issues as well as health issues this month so July is probably not going to be the stellar month I had hoped for.

I'm glad you all are doing well. I think I'm gonna take a little break. I will still be checking in from time to time (I can't stay away from the featherweights too long)

Hope everyone is OP and having a great summer

Talk to you all later
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #58  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Wow! 20,000 calories! Even if you ate a lot of nuts, ice cream, and Hungry Man frozen meals, I don't see how you can eat that much in one sitting. I have to say that my SO never overeats, never has that bloated, ate-too-much feeling. He just has an entirely different relationship with food than I do. He just always stops when he's full. Now me, half the time I can't even tell if I'm full or still hungry.

And speaking of overeating, it's Thursday and so far I've managed to avoid the chocolate covered espresso beans. But sadly, today was the last day my local pool is open. Now I'll have to drive half an hour to go swimming.

Cuppa: During the week, I get up around 9 or so and am usually up until midnight or later. I eat breakfast around 9 (no later than 10), two cups of coffee between 10:30 and 11:30, lunch between noon and 1, a snack around 2, another larger snack between 5 and 6 (I usually work out between snacks #1 and #2), dinner between 8 and 9 (later if what I'm making takes longer than expected to prepare), and a snack around 11. The afternoon snacks sometimes move around a little, depending on when I work out, but I never eat breakfast before 9 (even if I get up early), I never eat lunch before noon (no matter how hungry I get--if it's really bad I'll have a piece of fruit or something with my coffee), and I never eat dinner before 7 (again, no matter how hungry I get, fruit and maybe a beverage to the rescue in a pinch).

SusanB: Wow, a perfect day! How awesome! No wonder you look so good in that after picture!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I did go to bed and still feel victorious this morning!
I think I'd like to do that again today.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #60  

Thumbs up WHOO HOO SusanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I did go to bed and still feel victorious this morning!
I think I'd like to do that again today.
It feels great doesn't it? I think sometimes the occasional ALC day serves as a reminder about how good it feels to then get back OP

I am still dog sitting and I am festing this weekend (Beaches Jazz fest is literally around the corner from where I'm staying) so I will be a little OP. Had an ice cream cone last night as I wandered the street taking in the bands. Will probably buy a couple of pieces of Belgian chocolate tonite. No big deal.

Dagmar (very very )