Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Featherweights Planning and Chat June 11 - 17

There's quite a bit of chitter chatter on last week's thread about toughening up on those last few pounds. It's pretty exciting! I find that very motivating!

Planning ... hmmm ... I made a crock of soup last week and put some in the freezer for my lunches. I should make another kind. While I love my big green salad, some days it's nice to have something else.

I'm afraid my exercise is being displaced by work and gardening ... but I guess it's all 'activity' right?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #2  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm not going to even mention exercise because I am totally rubbish at it although I will do a "formal" session today. I did just have to sneak on here and say that I lost 3lbs last week which puts me under 145 for the first time since..??? Don't remember The competition with the other half is obviously working for me.

I'm feeling all perky and motivated. Had two huge boosts last week. One when a work colleague (male) who I really don't know very well told me that I was "disappearing" and the other when I totally declined all my favourite sweet treats on a table free for all at work on Friday.

This week's plan is just to do more of the same and to up the exercise (shouldn't be hard from my starting point) and a bit more water.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 AM   #3  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

Hi all!!! I'm happy to report I had my weigh in yesterday, and I weighed in at 136.6!!! My "goal weight" is 135, so my WW meeting was free. That in itself is exciting! But I really want to get to around 125... which means I'm about 10 pounds away! How cool will that be????

I just need some suggestions on low-point healthy food. What kind of soup do you make? I love soup with noodles in it. I didn't care for the cabbage soup. I think I made it wrong anyways.

Have a great day!
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #4  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Woo Hoo, Doughnut! I know that number is the one that will make you smile! Hang onto it, hang onto it, ignore fluctuations. (Good job, dh)

Tracy, that must have felt like a very successful day - congrats.

On exercise being "displaced" by gardening - same thing happened to me yesterday as I came out of yard/garden sweating and really exhausted after a great deal of bending, for instance, and had to ask myself if further workout that day was really the right thing. I know that my back stretch beforehand, plus staying hydrated, are the keys to healthy outdoor work, but it is hard to "measure" just how much is too much.

Something interesting - I was reading where Dr. Dean Edell tells patients worried about "belly fat" that above 22 percent body fat they can probably still reduce it by losing weight (he says it may be a person's "last hold out of subcutaneous fat"), but that at 22 percent, in his opinion, belly fat still remaining is probably an inherited trait to be accepted. I've just recently made it to 23 (and of course wonder if every test would have me at this number - hmmm) and still my tummy is obvious. It's the reason I need to alter some clothes. I still hold out a lot of hope that I can further cinch in this tummy (almost 6 inches smaller now after 25 pounds gone, about twice as much as hip and rib losses), but have my doubts that a further one-percent drop will make all the difference. My relatives who did not have pregnancies don't have much of a problem, so I'm not sure inherited tendency explains all. I wonder if Edell has really taken into consideration multiple pregnancies and what will help after them.

I can go along with the pure need to lose allover fat up to a certain bodyfat point. Beyond that point, though, I still believe exercise to cinch in will continue to make a difference.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Exercise? What's that? Seriously, I need to get moving. DH and I used to do our weekly 5 mile walk with the dogs and we haven't done it in months! We have had serious motivation problems here. So this is my plan--school is out this week (Tuesday for DD and Friday for DS as they are in different school districts). Since I will not have to get up to get stuff ready for either of them, I will have my mornings free(er). I WILL get up at the usual time and I WILL walk the dogs each morning. Nothing too long--not like I used to do (4-5 miles per day) but I'll go fast and work up a sweat. 20 minutes a day should be good to start.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

SusanB: Oh yeah, gardening is exercise! I count everything including vacuuming! HA!

Tracy: Way to go!! It's so nice to see the goal weight in sight.

My stepson is graduating from high school this coming Saturday, which means family photos. Definitely staying OP this week!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #7  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Good afternoon ladies. 3 more nights of work and then I'm on vacation!

I got home this morning and slept for about 3 hours then got up to walk on my treadmill. I just had ceasar salad with a blueberry muffin. It was so good.

My son is going to an afternoon graduation party. I asked him what he got for a gift. He said he didn't have one. Well..... of course you don't just "have" them! You have to go "get" them! Bless his little pea brain!

Nothing much else going on around here. I guess I'll go try to get some more sleep. Hope everyone has a great week. Jane
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

Well, it's over. I'm finally done with the Relay for Life for this year and I think it went pretty well. Alot of money was spent for a good cause. I got an hours worth of walking in, which is also good. But I got fried in the process, which is not good.
Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #9  

Good Morning! What a weird weekend. All along I thought I was doing badly but fitday doesn't look too bad. Food quality was off but cals weren't too bad.

Bit of an odd switch last evening ... DH went for a walk without me

I did not have my shake every morning like I said I would last week, so I'd better try harder to do that.

Dentist this afternoon ... yikes!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Doggie potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I will walk the dogs each morning. Nothing too long--not like I used to do (4-5 miles per day) but I'll go fast and work up a sweat. 20 minutes a day should be good to start.
Don't forget the dogs need to work up to it as well. If they've been "couch potatoes" they need to start slow. Labs tend to go all out as I'm sure you know so make sure they don't get injured or your plan kinda gets shelved until they're OK again.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Beautiful night - better week?

Meant to post last night but too tired. But it was a great tired! We went kayaking last night and it was superb! Just the right conditions - a little wind, not too many other boats out, blue sky, gulls wheeling overhead, cormorants fishing nearby. When I was paddling last night I was able to leave all off last week's hideousness on shore.

We went to a small beach on Toronto Island and had a healthy dinner that I brought along in a cooler. Sat and looked out at the expanse of sky and water. Hard to believe there was a city of 2 million people behind us. Peace and calmness.

And I have actually been maintaining a weight of 141 lbs. although I felt like I was up to 200 by last Friday. Will continue to replace diet cola with water this week and have fruit instead of cookies in the evening.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Morning all

Whittlin...NO I do not want to hear that i am at about 23% body fat and my belly is still really really flabby.

I havent counted calories for 5 days and not by decision, but by laziness, so ....

super tired ds is sick and was up all night
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #13  
How Bad do you want it?

S/C/G: 140/135.5/120

Height: 5'1"

Morning!

I read something on belly fat in women over 40. Hold on, it isn't great news....In my Body for Life book, Dr. Peeke says it's due to a change in the hormones that alter fat deposition. It's so common, she dubs it not your potbelly, but your "Menopot"!!! Apparently all you can do is keep up with the exercise and really watch what you eat. Sigh.

That said, I rested Sunday and resumed my BFL program this morning. Day 2. I told myself that I mean to stick with it even if my weight doesn't drop dramatically since I REALLY need the conditioning.

ennay--when is your birthday? I'm working on a birthday goal too....

Susan B.--I would be SOOOOO happy if I looked like that in my scrubs again! Very inspiring.

'nuff said,
cuppa
cuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

Dagmar~yes, I'll let the dogs get warmed up to the exercise. I had them both at the vet Saturday for a checkup. I get so worried with Buddy, he's about 13 now and has so many tumors. She aspirated all of them (two are HUGE!) and they are all lipomas, so that is good news. I asked why the big ones look different and she says it is because they are behind the muscle wall rather than in front of it. The ones I'm used to seeing are in front of the muscle. Anyway, they're both in good health.

cuppajoe~menopot? But what if you've had it all your life? I swear, my Dad gave me the pot belly.....my sister has the same one.

Susan~so you thought you were doing poorly but fitday looked good.....well, fitday looked good to me, and I thought I'd done a great job this weekend and what do I get? A 1.5 pound GAIN. Yuck! But today is a new day and it has started out GREAT and my plan will be good all day!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #15  

Hey Allison ... I haven't been anywhere near a scale today. So in the pink fairy land of my own mind, I did OK over the weekend