Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning!

Ya know what Silver ... I keep thinking that if my stats are good ... that's a pretty sad commentary on today's society. The amount of effort I put into this stuff is really pretty pathetic. And that's all it's taken to keep on top of terrible genetics???
I really mean it when I say that if I can do this , anybody can. Seriously!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #47  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Re:
Quote:
"Something in the air?"
Quote:
"I had a pretty bad day today."
Yesterday I got all caught up in quiltmaking creativity, I guess, and maybe schedule/time got away from me - don't know. Also there's a lot of bending in that, plus some tenseness with tedius rotary cutting. Anyway, maybe I forgot to drink enough water, maybe hormones were doing a number on my water retention (cyclical constipation? TMI sorry ). Also I put off exercise until later in the day. But, yes, something in the air about yesterday - my first "bad" day in a long time. I foolishly soothed with sweets dh had set up as fridge boobytraps. I was up at 5:00 this morning having water, aspirin and prunes.

Barbara, hope you caught on that I was saying most of what is called sciatica has its basis in simple muscle swelling which is not mysterious, and it's not the nerve itself that's causing this discomfort. The nerve is just reacting (quite normally) to the irritation/pressure. Rest, change of position/activity, and hydration will give relief for that kind of muscle swelling just like any other. A lot has been written about "piriformis syndrome" explaining the muscle's very common woes, and it's out there on the net. It doesn't all agree, so if you start reading, be prepared to do more than glance. Important thing - you are not alone or unusual, and it doesn't have to be chronic.

Angela, I didn't realize you were dealing with the results of a car accident. Hugs to you and good for you that you are sticking with activity/health plans.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #48  

Wanna know how pathetic? A lady with two kids in a twin stroller just got away from me ... and that's a combination walk/jog!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #49  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie
I seem to psychologically give myself permission to eat whenever I lose a lb. Then I beat myself up when I gain it back.
I do the same dang thing, it drives me crazy!!

Susan -- You do just fine exercising ... At least you're out there doing something...

Just back from a run, it was slower than usual it's already 22c/ 71f, not that hot, but I don't do well running in heat... I was running 5, walking 1 I was out there for an hour though so that counts as something...and I sweated a LOT!!

Doing lunch with a g/f today, should be nice... Salad and salmon probably...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

I can't really say I've been all that good this week, as far as plans go. Been eating breakfast everyday, this is a big improvement for me. But other than that . . . haven't been so good. Most of it has to do with t being TOM. I usually just throw up my hands during that time and let my body have it's way. Makes things a lot more peaceful between the two of us. However, it seems that it's worked. Before the week started I was at 164.5 and I've managed to hold onto that weight and this morning I was at 163.5. I'm not going to move my ticker though until I've held onto that for a couple of days.
Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Bummer!!! I have this big, stressful event Saturday and then I was invited to go wine tasting in Temecula on Sunday.....the wine tasting was canceled as too many people were going out of town for the holiday weekend. Now what am I going to do to de-stress?

Went out to dinner with DH and DS last night and over ate a LOT! I guess it isn't such a good thing to show up to the restaurant STARVING! Today I'll be more in control.

Everyone have a great day (very busy work day--don't know if I'll be able to pop back in).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Well I'm staying on plan much better today. I've had breakfast and lunch already and I'm at 610 calories and 14 gr. of fat

I had big plans to do some spring cleaning today, but I didn't sleep to well last night and I'm really tired . I think I will take a nap (because I can today). Hopefully, I will have a little more energy when I get up.

Everyone have a great day! I'll probably check in later
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #53  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The Challenge: I'd never done any sort of challenge before, but I did find the 21-day challenge helpful. First, it was really helpful to set some simple rules beyond just the number of calories I would eat per day. Also, I had a couple of business trips in there and it did help me not get so far off track on those days and get right back on track when I got home.

Bras: So I finally measured myself for a bra for the first time yesterday. According to Victoria's Secret, I'm between a 32 and a 34 C! Who knew? I always thought I was an A cup. Maybe I have more respectable boobs than I thought. Although I'm pretty sure I'd swim in a C cup, but maybe a B cup... I'm going to have to look into getting a decent bra, instead of all the sports bras and one-size-fits-all stuff that I've been wearing.

whittlin - your info was very helpful and I did get that it was likely to be a muscle swelling and not a problem with the nerve itself (and I was relieved to hear it). Getting in and out of the car seemed to irritate it so I've been being careful there, I went a little easy on my intervals on Tues, and I skipped the high include on the elliptical (which is supposed to isolate your butt muscles) and all of that seems to have helped. Either that or it just got better on its own because it seems fine now.

alinnell - what a disappointment. I hate it when stuff like that happens. Maybe you could schedule something nice for yourself, like a massage or a pedicure...

Congrats on your qualification for the 2012 olympics, SusanB!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #54  
Woman on a Mission

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

Hey all! Loved reading the posts today . It's motivation I really need! As you may remember, we went to the beach at the end of April/first of May. Well, I maintained okay, got right back where I was when we left within a week of returning~~woohoo~~THEN, we had houseguests for several days, gained 4#s, just officially got it off as of this morning, & now...MORE houseguests to arrive tomorrow. Whew. So, this month is basically all about maintaining, even though I'm not at my goal here. Maybe I can focus on loss again in June.

About [B]BRAS[B] : I watched an Oprah bra intervention (don't watch it much, but do LOVE Oprah) about 6 or so months ago which inspired me to go to Dillards (department store) & be measured. The lady helping me was awesome, she measured & started bringing bras to me to try. Many were not proper fits, as they are all made different, but after several tries, I found one that was PERFECT. Now, here's the clincher, for I don't know how long, I've been wearing a 36D or DD. Now, they never fit great, & I just thought it was the curse of the woman with the natural big boobs to have ill-fitting bras. Heavens, I was buying the biggest readily-available cup size, y'know. Well, my bra now is a 34 DDD (sometimes labeled F), which I would've never dreamed. AND it's a more expensive bra than I would usually buy. However, I have to say it has made a HUGE difference in how my clothes look (like that play on words ) Belk department store does not even have these, but Dillards does, so that's where I shop now.

On [B]sciatica[B] : When pregnant with my 2nd son, I was plagued with this, from pretty early on. My OBGYN prescribed more time OFF my feet (I'm an RN), fioracet~~didn't help, but not many choices for a pregnant lady, and...here's the best...massages . I had a script so my insurance covered them, something like 2xs/week. It was awesome, not the sciatica, the massages, and YES they really did help. Didn't cure, only delivery did that, but they helped tremendously.

So, once all my houseguests are done vacationing for the season (we're in like a huge vacation area), I'll be around more, checking in & getting my motivation from you ladies. I'm considering trying to "learn" how to run. That may sound silly, but I've truly never been able to do it for more than a few feet. There's got to be something I don't know or am not doing right. If some of you runners can give me some tips, I'd love it!

Ciao for now!
mamajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Wanna know how pathetic? A lady with two kids in a twin stroller just got away from me ... and that's a combination walk/jog!
lol That is rich. That made my day its still better than nothing. I went to grocery shopping and walmart today. My exersize. My but hurts but the neck is good. Yesterday had a h$llacious headache. Today all goo with some muscle relaxers. More good news. Back to 134lbs this morn !! I cant cut anymore callories I doubt I eat 1000 some days. Thanks gals ! Happy weekend
Angela1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #56  

Height: 5'6

SusanB: Thanks for the link. I checked out the bra site and it was helpful. I guess I just need to realize that I have bra-overhang and need to do something about it...maybe just need to up the size already!

I know what you guys mean about self-sabotaging after 1 lb loss. I walked yesterday....felt good about myself.....ate great for breakfast and lunch, but at dinner I had pizza. I originally told myself I'd only have 2 slices. I was sooo hungry from eating light for breakfast and lunch that I ended up eating 4 and gave myself permission to have 3 cookies for a snack (with milk) because I had walked earlier and it would "cancel it out". This is the kind of logic I use when I am starving! If I could just say no to yummy tasting food, I could kick this thing. Meanwhile, the scale is creeping up. My walking buddy is helping me stay on track with the exercising at least. Maybe some of the weight will naturally fall off from that alone

Getting ready to go out of town for the wkend. Lots of walking and exercise involved. Send thoughts my way to WILL me to eat healthy. Have a great memorial day wkend everyone!
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Susan, my friend and I (she's my walking and work out buddy) do a BTN day at least once a week (sadly, it's often more)... they are days when we are tired or busy or whatever and we just can't muster energy to do any intense exercise, but we 'something,' which I really believe is Better Than Nothing, hence BTN Days! Like Ilene says, at least you're moving!

Is everyone looking forward to the weekend as much as I am? As a teacher, I'm just physically and emotionally over this year. The kids act like I'm torturing them if I ask them to get out a piece of paper.

Anyway, off to grade a few papers... hope everyone is having a good day.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #58  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Claire - I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend. The last two weeks have been crazy at work! I moderated a webcast today that I expected would be attended by around 300 of our members and I had two panelists cancel on me at the last minute. One after I'd already spent time helping her prepare for the webcast. So I had to frantically find speakers to fill in at the last minute and I had to prep everyone individually (normally I have a conference call where I prep all the panelists at the same--it's more efficient and then everyone is on the same page). So time-consuming and so much stress. I swear, these webcasts take years off my life. And all that on top of rushing to get the brochure for our annual conference off to the printer, setting up more webcasts for the summer, and dealing with publishing the results of a major survey that we just completed. I cannot believe that today is only Thursday. Yesterday felt like Friday to me.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #59  

I like the notion of a BTN day. That's about what my arms session was yesterday. It was so hot and muggy here. I did maybe 15 minutes and it was weak ... but BTN.

I can't imagine how teachers cope this time of year. Just watching the neighbour kids waiting for the bus is a pretty good indication of what they're like sitting in desks. Whew for restless energy. And I know they're not going to bed in decent time either.

Barbara ... is the webcast over? and you're off for the weekend?

Count me amongst the overeaters yesterday ... two and a half bags of popcorn ... seriously.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #60  

Today my passer-upper was a grey beard. Greyer than DH!
Went roaring past me and disappeared in the distance.