Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hey gals and Aqua,

Today was finally a GOOD one for me. It's unreal how out of whack I can get by being in a rut for 1 full week. You wouldn't think it could do too much damage, but on my walk yesterday and today, I kinda felt like I was leading with my big ole tummy... ugh, that's not a good feeling! Then again, I was really OFF... not just a little. Serious lack of exercise last week and poor eating to go with it.

I entered today's fitday in last night and have really stuck to it, even though I got really hungry after school -- I didn't cave. I think I will try to continue to do that this week to hold myself accountable for having a good week. I gained 2.5 lbs. last week, so I need to make a dent in that!

Allison - Happy 19th anniversary -- next year is a big one for you! I'm only on year 3 -- ain't it grand?!

Barbara -- sounds like you have a good plan for maintenance this week. I still marvel at your out of town schedule and how well you do with it. That would be a major challenge for most (that is, a challenge not to gain!).

Ilene - you are making me want to get my bike out. I'm going to try to do a road ride tomorrow and get back into the swing of riding. The weather here has been perfect, so I have no excuse.

Everyone else -- Yes, Monday is always a fresh start. Aren't we lucky for that? Hope it's a happy and healthy week (and a losing one) for all of us! And, happy belated Mother's Day to all of the moms!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #17  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I have been a lurker for a while and wanted to join in. I hope I can post with you guys. I have lost 13 lbs - weight from my second pregnancy and want to lose 18 more lbs - back to my weight when I got married.
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #18  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Hiker totally get you on the last 10 pounds feeling ~ I actually would be OK maintaining now too (back when I was in the 180s/high 170s - I thought 150 would be my goal) but something tells me I can make that extra push to be really "normal" (instead of being on the high end of normal range), even though normal in U.S. is now the minority (funny & sad at the same time, really)

Babyfat

I think I need me some major will power dust this week, I haven't gone off-plan yet but I've already used up my 2 splurge days (when I allow myself slack for 2,000 calories, instead of my usual 1,600) for the week and its only Monday!!! :O But, thankfully, I don't foresee anything that'll set me off plan for the rest of the week (even Fri/Sat -- I've just had a rowdy & lively weekend so will be taking it easy this coming one.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 AM   #19  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Hiker - 8 miles!! I'd say you are doing a lot better than good on your runs; you're doing awesome! You go girl! That deserves a brocolli and a bunny!

walking2lose - The business travel is a real struggle. At first I just treated all business trips as off-plan days, but I do enough of it, especially this year, that I decided I couldn't do that anymore. Thankfully, it is mostly done for the year. I have a couple of day-long or multi-day events locally over the summer and one week-long event in the fall, but that's it. And I'm done with personal vacations for the year too. I just want to stay home and eat on plan for several uninterrupted months.

Welcome, Babyfat!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Angry Black Tuesday

I weigh in on Tuesdays and I'm 2.5 lbs heavier than I was on Friday. What has changed? I'm back home with DH.

I managed to lose 4 lbs in the 16 days I was away on the dog sit. I've been home for 3 and gained back 2.5.

DH was supposed to start a diet (he's got over 40 lbs to lose) back at the beginning of April. He can't stick to his diet it seems, even though I'm dieting along with him and making healthy food and suggesting he exercise etc. etc.

Now he's brought home ice cream, cookies, alcohol (which I didn't drink) and chocolate in the last 3 days. I have lots of will power as long as I don't have this stuff in the house but when he shows up with it I usually cave. He's also insisting I sit down and watch TV with him at night, one of the key things that make me overeat in the evening.

I've suggested that he go for a walk (I'm too beat after walking dogs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)in the evening or that we find some other things to do - reading, listening to music, talking, etc. - but he wants to watch TV. If I try to go into my office and do something else he says I'm ignoring him.

I want my diet and his to be a success. Particularly his because I'm afraid for his health (he's 45 yrs old) - diabetes, heart attack, etc, are very real possibilities for him.

Any suggestions about what I do with him? I have considered leaving him but that's a last resort and one I really don't want to take - I do love the big lump and I've been with him for over 12 years.

On a more cheerful note babyfat

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

Well Dagmar ... I'll tell ya ... sooner or later they catch on. I've been at this for around 3 years. At first nobody wanted me to disappear for a walk. I never exercised in front of them. They didn't want me to eat different food. Spending money on health foods and equipment was quite a sore point.
Nowadays? Dh walks with me. He thinks nothing of it to take a wee drive with me to my healthfood store. He's drinking diet coke and much more water. We have matching dr's app'ts next week
DS#1 (25) works in a food factory and often talks about which products have real stuff in them and which are artificial. He's playing ball again this year.
DS#2 (20) is sooo much slimmer. I should try to get pictures of him up here somewhere. He too enjoys my food and talks with me about it. Everyday he shoots hoops for a while.
DD is a member here. She's learning to cook and shop more healthfully. She walks to work. She stole my 5 lb dumbells. She and her husband walk for errands.
Now I chitterchatter but I truly believe that they are most impressed with the good changes in me and my dedication. Lead by example.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #22  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Major¸.•´¨¨)) -:¦:-
...¸.•´....•´¨¨))Willpower
Dust..((¸¸.•´ ..•´
..-:¦:- ((¸¸.•-:¦:-for
AquaWarlock¸.•´¨¨)) -:¦:-
...¸.•´....•´¨¨))
..((¸¸.•´ ..•´
..-:¦:- ((¸¸.•-:¦:-

That's interesting about "normal" not being "normal" because of percentages of overweight among us. I was reading an MSN article yesterday about new thoughts on aging and they mentioned that. Also mentioned that a smaller percentage among us were too thin now, some because they're trying for the slow-down in aging that can come from intense calorie reduction (unfortunately causing its own health problems that probably outweigh the benefit).

Dagmar, no don't leave him! What we have here is a failure to communicate! He is expressing love by providing for you and asking you to join him in front of the hearth (um, television! ). And he's not hearing you when you explain that he's doing you no favors. I go through the same thing. My dh will almost nag me to take a break from careful eating and "relax" and in fact has argued with me that he wants me to be happy and I'm in the way of my own happiness. Wrong! Unhappiness would be gaining the weight back. We've got to get out ahead of them and have plenty of GOOD alternatives already in the household ready for snacking. (I know you're already preparing some healthy things) I will sometimes just silently put a plate of fruit/veggies on the coffee table at the start of a program (before his snacks can get there) and it will get eaten as if it were popcorn. Oh, and if he ever asks what he can pick up, be ready with a healthy answer to get him used to providing you with some produce instead of cookies! I know - this ain't easy!

Welcome to Babyfat. Good job on how far you've already come.

Fru, how's the face today?
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #23  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

The face is fine - I'm just a little blue either side of my nose in the corners of my eyes. The bruise on my nose is going down too...

However I got the deadest of dead legs on Friday and the bruise is humungous, but we live and learn (to beat the other guy first! )
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Hey, Mudpie,
I can commisserate with you about your DH. Mine struggles with his diet too, primarily quantity rather than quality. However, with diabetes and high blood pressure, I worry nonetheless. I try to model good behavior as much as possible, but other than not ordering pizza or picking up burgers or high salt foods, I don't know what I can do.

Let me know if you come up with any good ideas because I'm looking for them too.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #25  

Height: 5'6

Binged on ice cream all weekend...back at 153. We are building a garage and had to clear all the junk out of our shed so the guys could move it (it is where the garage will be). They called last night about 3 hours before dark...to let us know they need it cleared out and will be here in the morning. Tonight, we will have to re-load it. Everything is on my covered side porch currently! At least I got my exercise in for the day! (had ice cream later though). I think I am comfort eating lately and need to break the habit.

Just signed DD up for public school again next year (after 3 yrs of homeschooling!). She is excited. It will be a big change for me. School starts Aug 8 here! Whatever happened to school starting after Labor Day like when we were kids? These poor kids don't get much of a summer vacation!
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #26  
April

S/C/G: 165/ticker/130

Can I just say that I must be a real softie?? I read Susan's post about her kids and the effect she's having on them even though they're all adults and it made me tear up a little. I just get this way when I think of my baby boys growing up. I hope I can still be close to them like you are to yours. My mom is too busy with her boyfriend, her job and college to have a relationship with me. She makes comments about her boyfriend (of ONE year) getting jealous of her time away from him when she comes to see me. (Two or three times without him in the last year and she lives less than 20 miles away!) We were pretty close till him...I just don't understand how someone you just met could divide you from the kids you've spent the last 30 years raising. *sigh* No wonder I have food issues!

And Whittlin! The advice you gave Dagmar hit the nail on the head for me! My husband sabotages me at every turn. (Bacon-wrapped jalepeno poppers, oversized steaks, mac-n-cheese, beer) He just likes me to join in. I try to go running and he'll make comments about his supper being late from it, or that I let the kids stay up too late because I ran. He is only 29 and has had high blood pressure for at least 6 years, so he really needs to join me and lose some weight, but he grew up in a real deep-fried, southern, country family where gravy and beer are the name of the game. He is overweight a little, but extremely well-muscled, so he doesn't think he needs to do anything. I've just started buying low sodium products and really checking the sodium in what I buy and cook. I guess what I'm saying is that you made me realize that I need to set the example for him and encourage him to join me. I just get jealous of my workout time...it's my only me time, but I want my husband to live to a ripe old age so I need to drag his butt with me.

We just had our 9 year anniversary on May 1st. We've been together since I was 15, over 12 years.

2Frustrated---Why are you all bruised? Did I miss something?

Oh yeah...

BOOHOO!! I had to move my ticker up. (I was down to 144.5 last week and it held for about 4 days) But to be fair, I had AF for a visit this weekend. I also pigged out, so I set myself a new Mini Goal to had something more concrete to focus on.

Last edited by midearthseeker; 05-15-2007 at 10:04 AM.
midearthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

2F -- OUCH and s and kisses for your booboos ... (I'm a mommy can't you tell?)

Aqua -- for you ...

Dagmar -- Lead by example, nagging doesn't work... Keep bringing the healthy foods in, keep insisting that he go for a walk with you instead of watching TV, or compromise 30 min walk then some TV time together... I will take a plate of fruit and veggies while watching TV and it disappears in no time flat, they'll eat whatever is put in front of them, specially if they are lazy and don't want to get away from the tube

MichelinWoman -- Just get back on the wagon, you can do this!

Well I work all day today... 7am to 5pm by the time I get home ... Not much time to do anything, but if it's nice out I'll go biking...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #28  
Ilene the Bean

midearthseeker - My son is 19 today ... How fast time goes, I'm a big babee too, it makes me tear up when I think of time flying by ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #29  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

midearthseeker - April? I'm a kickboxer - my instructor beats on me! At least it isn't my husband!

Thanks Ilene!

I've decided I'm going to make my own clothes from now on! It could be fun since I only wear trousers... I bet they're hard to sew! Not sure about making my own T-shirts but I'll have a good go
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #30  
April

S/C/G: 165/ticker/130

Yeah, my name's April. Kickboxing? Cool!! I used to fight a lot when I was a kid and I miss it sometimes. I've thought about taking up boxing as a way to get those frustrations out.
midearthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote