Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Time to re-commit myself

Hi

Well, I had not the best weekend. Not awful, but bad enough. I've been feeling a little apathetic lately, I think out of frustration. I did well initially, and dropped 7 pounds, but have been stalled there for a good 6 weeks. And this is frustrating, because I've been eating quite healthy (OK, except for this weekend - let's just say chocolate, and leave it at that), but obviously I have not been cutting back enough to produce weight loss. Granted, I don't have a lot that I need to lose - it's mostly vanity weight, and I know those pounds are the most stubborn. And I've been doing this without "dieting" - dieting messes with my head and leads me to binge. But I've been working out 5 times a week, and more or less doing the Bob Greene Best Life phase 1. My measurements are the same, as well, as the working out is not new to me, so I'm not building scads of muscle - I was already reasonably fit, just a bit too "padded".

But clearly, I need to step it up a bit if I want to see some sort of measurable progress. I know, I know - so many of you swear by FitDay and calorie counting, etc., but I end up getting so black/white, all/nothing about that kind of stuff - it leads me to the edge of that slippery slope.

So today, I am formally committing to making some better choices within my food plan. For example... cheese and peanut butter. 2 healthy foods that I love, but also very high cal - I'll cut those back to 1ce a week. And beer - I'll have to limit that more, too - haven't decided on a number yet, though I currently might have 2 or 3 a week. I should also re-examine those large regular coffees that I so love. And I don't think I can give up having a regular family dinner - and I'm a fairly healthy cook - but I think I might be able to tweak lunch a bit, and make it primarily produce. And just cutting all portions back by about a quarter should be doable. I think I can add in an extra day's workout without a problem.

Any other suggestions of things to tweak would be most welcome.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

for your recommitment Janie!!

My suggestion would be to intensify your workouts, add protein to that lunch meal of produce... and keep doing what you're doing ... except for the chocolate of course ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #3  

I agree about adding more protein for satiety.

What do you eat for breakfast? Does it have a decent amount of fiber (i.e., a whole grain waffle w/a sliced banana, oatmeal w/berries, etc.).

Awareness of portion size should also help.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Wow. The apathy thing was sure going on here, too! I've been trying and trying since December to get back on track and lose. I've even toyed with giving up all together and maintaining at this weight. I joined challenges. They didn't help.

I don't really know what made me have a turnaround, but without much work at all, I've dropped over 3 pounds this week! I swear, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary--I didn't exercise, I didn't stop drinking my wine, I didn't do much of anything regarding my eating plan. Who knows what it is, but it sure is a great motivator! I think this is finally the kick in the pants that I needed to finish this weight loss journey! If I have to "blame" it on something, I'll blame the berries! The only thing that I can tell that I've done differently is change up my breakfast! 2 ounces each of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries (less than 75 calories) plus 1 whole wheat English muffin spread with 1 wedge of laughing cow light (130+35 calories). It's filling and tasty.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #5  

Yeah, you guys are right - I'll need some protein with the soup/salad for lunch, or I'll be famished by 2pm. But I need to explore some lower-fat sources than cheese and peanut butter! Mabye I should hard-boil a few eggs and have them on hand.

As for breakfast, it's usually pretty healthy. This morning for example, it was 1/2 cup lite Quaker Harvest Crunch mixed into about 3/4 cup low-fat yoghurt, a banana, a kids' sized glass of juice, and a coffee. Other days I'll have oatmeal (not the sugary instant kind) or hot Oat Bran with dried cranberries mixed in, and skim milk. Sometimes another dry cereal, but never the sugary kind.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

There are lower fat cheeses which aren't too bad. I eat the lite versions of Kraft cheddar, monterey jack and mozzarella that aren't too gross. Goat cheese is also good - Loblaws has some nice ones.
Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

If you like tuna at all I mix a can of tuna with a can of chickpeas add juice of half a lemon with olive oil to taste, S&P, sometimes I'll add some little green onions... It's a great lunch on it's own or stuffed in a WW pitta pocket...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #8  

Mmmm... that sounds good. I do like tuna, though I've been off it a bit since all the data on mercury contamination came out. I bet salmon would be good that way though.

Last night I golfed, and I thought my new willpower might be put to the test, but the beverage cart never came around. Blessing in disguise, really. Supper was a burger, unfortunately, as it's included with the golf league, but I had to grab it and eat it in the car (had a meeting), so I didn't have any of the yummy (but deceptively high-cal) salads or cookies. So I think I ate/drank the best I possibly could have, under the circumstances. (Did well the rest of the day, too).
Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #9  

Good luck! You can do it! hugs
bellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #10  

Default Good suggestions!

Hi Janie,
Well you sound like I feel today. I am trying too, but these last few pounds seem destined to live on my hips whether I like them or not. Mine are 'vanity pounds' too. Great name for them. My husband doesn't think I need to lose any weight, but I want my clothes to be looser and the scale to say 135! Then, and only then, can I relax...but not for too long.
Wow, when I read this it seems completely self indulgent doesn't it? Maybe I have to be less obsessed with myself and more focussed externally for a change.
suerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #11  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Janie,

I just read your post and feel like I'm in the same spot. I started out really committed and dropped everything you see on my ticker but for the past 2 months I have maintained this weight. I really haven't been doing well. I stopped counting calories because I was bingeing when I went over. Then I just started bingeing a bit more. etc. I still haven't figured out what I was doing before that made me lose the weight but for now I'm focusing on not bingeing and only eating when hungry. I figure I may not lose the weight quickly but I should at least get to a maintainable weight. I dont want to go up and down any more and if it takes me crazy will power and restriction to get to a lower weight then I dont want it because that isnt maintainable for me.

Anyway, I recently sat down and rethought my previous goals and plan to get back on track. I haven't binged since and I feel a lot better.

I hope things get better for you too. you can do it and you will. Just dont be too hard on yourself. Weight is just a number and the body is so complex; if you are working out that often and eating healthy you should be very proud of yourself. So you had a few extra treats, maybe tomorrow you wont have as many. Remember why you are trying to lose this weight and know that you can achieve your goals.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #12  

Well, my Friday weigh-in was at the same weight, but given my not so great week, I'm OK with that. 145 was actually my best-case-scenario this week. But this is the week, I am determined to see 144 on the scale. I'm not a big one for setting time-related goals, but this is just for 1 pound, and I think maybe a teeny tiny challenge might be what I need.