Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/135/127

Height: 5' 3"

Default Question about weight and size....

I've noticed that other women can weigh the same as me and be in a much smaller size.........does this mean I have more fat?

I am 5' 3" and weigh 135.......I am in a size 12 pants, sometimes a 14.

I want to be out of the double digits size wise.........but I am hippy and "bootylicious" and have always had a rear end, even at my smallest weight.

I was 122 lbs, about a size 4 to 6 before my son was born (10 1/2 years ago). I'd like to get down to at least a size 8.

Last summer I lost 7 lbs and didn't change sizes at all. (sigh)
Carbiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Some of it could be fat, but a lot of it is how you are built and what style clothes you wear.

My friend is 5'2.5" and 175 and wears the same size as I did at 5'3.5" and 145. I have significantly LESS body fat. But I have no waist. If I were willing to wear super ultra low rise I can wear a small size, but I dont so my waist controls my size.

Make sure exercise is a part of your plan..but ultimately how you are built is how you are built. Find styles that complement your shape
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Don't worry, it does NOT mean you have more fat! It just means that you store it differently than some people. For example, if a woman doesn't really have curves she'll be able to wear a smaller size, but if you have a smaller upper and mid body than her but larger hips, you'll be in a bigger size even if you're the same weight and height.

I understand the anger because I'm the same way: I'll see people post on here who are my height, my weight, and several sizes smaller than me and it's really frustrating. But there actually are health benefits to carrying our weight around our hips instead of around our waists, so be happy!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #4  

Thanks for the replies..........I'm not so much "angry" over it, mostly curious.

I don't mind being bootylicous.......'cause my hubby likes it that way. LOL

As long as I am at a healthy weight and feel good, I'll be ok.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

I also wear different sizes based on whether they are Misses, Juniors, Petites, or Woman's. There's a big difference between a Juniors size 4 and a Woman's size 4. The hip and bust measurements are usually different.

Also, some people might have different comfort levels of what they consider "tight" or fitted for clothes. I don't like my clothes to fit tight. I also think a size 4 is different based on the maker or the store. I shopped at a Chico's store, and their size 3s are huge on me. The sizes run smaller there to appeal to older women.

Maybe someone can fit into one size 4 pair of jeans, but that doesn't mean they can fit into a size 4 in every style of clothing. When I lost the weight, I had to actually buy more skirts and jeans and shorts in size 4s because they were hanging on me in a size 6. I had to really purchase all of my clothing in a size 4, not just one pair of jeans. ;-)

Plus, I think I've read somewhere that clothing sizes have actually gotten larger through the decades as women have become larger. That's why people shouldn't be shocked when some thin women wear a size 0 or a size 1 or 2. It's probably the size 4 of a few decades ago when women were smaller. I'm happy at a size 4.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #6  

Carbie: I'm 5'3... at 141lbs, I was working out twice a day (2x a week with a trainer) and running 3+ miles a day. I was a size 8. My trainer said I'd have to shave my bones to be a size 4. And a size 6 was probably unattainable, long-term.

141lbs is the overweight range for my height. I was *not* overweight.

So, we're all built differently.

Michele: I believe Chico's has their own size charts -- 0, 1, 2, and 3. So, of course, the 3s would be huge on you. That's their largest size!

Chico's sizes: http://www.chicos.com/store/page.asp?id=22
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleKC View Post
Plus, I think I've read somewhere that clothing sizes have actually gotten larger through the decades as women have become larger. That's why people shouldn't be shocked when some thin women wear a size 0 or a size 1 or 2. It's probably the size 4 of a few decades ago when women were smaller. I'm happy at a size 4.
This is absolutely true, and different clothing manufacturers are increasing their sizes (it's called vanity sizing) at different rates. Banana Republic, for instance, has recently started cutting their sizes so large that they've had to introduce size 00 to accomodate small women at all. It's pretty ridiculous. So where you shop can influence which size you wear, in addition to your musculature and weight distribution.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6

My sister and I are within 1" of each other, so since she weighs about 5 lbs more than me, we are basically the same size. I am an apple, she is a pear. She has a smaller waist than I do and took my too-small skirt (that I had in my garage sale) and fit into it. It all depends on body type. Last year I took a pair of her shorts that her butt wouldn't fit into and wear them quite comfortably . I went shopping this weekend at a Tommy Hilfiger outlet and can wear a 10....I am in a 12 in most clothes (maybe I should only wear Hilfiger?)
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Womens' bodies are a wonderful variety of delicious shapes and sizes. Ask men!

There's not much we can do about our general shape. It's bones, muscle ... We have to embrace whatever we are ... work with it. We can lose fat and gain a bit of muscle but if we've got hips, we've got hips ... if we've got broad shoulders, we've got broad shoulders.

My sister is about an inch or so shorter than me and several pounds lighter. But her shoulders (from seam to seam) are three inches wider! We're not going to be trading clothes. The tips of my hip bones are only 9 inches apart. I happen to think bootylicious is lovely and unattainable for me
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #10  

I try to graciously embrace the "bootylicious" part of me, which I know will not change and just improve the rest. LOL
Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbiegirl View Post
I am 5' 3" and weigh 135.......I am in a size 12 pants, sometimes a 14.
I am 5'3" and weigh 148 and am a size 8-10, this is because I am muscular and weight train a LOT... Muscle is smaller than fat, so the more muscle you have the smaller you will "look" but you will weigh more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma
141lbs is the overweight range for my height. I was *not* overweight.
At 148 I'm close to the obese range .... NOT!!

I think the important thing is to exercise, eat right, and stay within a "healthy" for "us" range... Easier said than done, for most of us though
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote