Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #16  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbiegirl View Post
I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes but maybe I just haven't had them the right way? Other than dousing them in marshmallows and syrup at Thanksgiving time, I'm not sure what to do with a sweet potato. LOL
Just bake it. Cut it open and drizzle some margarine, butter, or olive oil on it.

Or, you can slice the potato very thin and bake them into chips. :-)
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #17  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I eat sweet potatos baked with a little butter (actually smart balance spread), salt and cinnamon. It's heavenly. Sometimes I put a little Splenda on it also, but that may be overkill for some of you.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #18  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You can get the calorie and nutritional content per ounce of any vegetable at http://www.calorieking.com. Both regular and sweet potatoes are 26 calories per ounce. A 4-oz potato, which is about 100 calories, is about 5.5 inches long and 1.75 inches wide (at its widest point). You have to watch out for potatoes; the ones at my grocery store are gigantic--some of them weigh an entire pound! If you don't have a scale at home, most grocery stores have a scale in the produce section where you can weigh your potatoes before you buy them.

I recently started eating sweet potatoes and can't believe I wasted my whole life eating regular ones. I like the sweet potatoes so much better. Here is how I eat them:
  • With 1-2 tbsp non-fat cream cheese, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Slice the baked potato open, put toppings on, then stick it back in the oven for a few minutes so everything gets melty.
  • With 1-2 tsp chutney (I get a mint chutney from an Indian stand at my farmers' market, but any kind of chutney would work).
  • Just by themselves, no seasonings at all.

For lunch today I had a sweet potato topped with Trader Joe's Tuna in Thai Green Curry Sauce and roasted cauliflower. It was way yummy! One of my best concoctions.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 137/135/127

Height: 5' 3"

I bought a sweet potato today, cut it into wedges and grilled it........LOVED IT! Thank you for the suggestions........will definitely be eating this again!
Carbiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote