Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 136/136/124

Height: 5'8"

I just made this for dinner tonight, and it was actually quite good. Adjust the vegetable levels as you please, depending on how much you want to make.

My version of ratatouille:

Zucchini, sliced diagonally
Baby eggplant, sliced diagonally
Carrots, sliced diagonally
Green, yellow, or red pepper (or all 3!), chopped roughly
Red onion, sliced in wedges
Button mushrooms, sliced somewhat thickly
Tomatoes, freshly chopped or from can (diced. Drained)
Splash of olive oil (not much!)
Garlic, roughly chopped
Pinch of salt, lots of freshly ground black pepper, generous sprinkle of fennel
Chopped fresh basil (parsley would work, too)

Spread all ingredients except for the tomatoes and basil (or parsley) in a casserole dish large enough to allow vegetables to fit in basically one layer. Roast (bake) in oven pre-heated to 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, stirring two or three times. Take out dish, add tomatoes, and return to the oven for about another 10 minutes. Stir in basil or parsley, add more pepper if necessary, and enjoy! Can be served with whole wheat pasta or brown rice.

Last edited by PishPosh; 01-10-2009 at 08:45 PM.
PishPosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #17  
PPP

S/C/G: 173/171/158

Height: 5' 7"

Often I replace rice with the following:

Cauliflower Rice

Process a head of cauliflower (cut into smallish chunks) in a food processor until finely chopped. Sauté in a bit of olive oil. Add some salt, pepper, (we put some Mrs. Dash all purpose seasoning) a dash of rice wine vinegar. Cook until lightly browned and dry.

I think I'll make some of that Chichen Adobo this week and put it over Cauliflower Rice!!!!

I'm also going to make that Pumpkin soup. It sounds great!

Last edited by PPP; 06-30-2009 at 05:54 PM.
PPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #18  
Certified Wgt Mgt Advisor

S/C/G: Lost over 20 lbs & 30 ins

Default Cauliflower rice

I like this idea!
Lynn G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/191/125

Height: 4'11

Nori Wrap:

1 sheet roasted unsalted nori (seaweed)
pan-fried chicken, red bell peppers, and bean sprouts
mustard
fat free sour cream

Nori has very few calories per serving, and it's much easier than lettuce leaves for wrapping.
Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Cauliflower Pizza

Bake medium sized pieces of cauliflower for about 20 mins.
Grate or cut up into rice sized pieces.
Mix with mozzarella cheese (I use a LF one) parsley and an egg.

Put the mix into a cake dish or onto a baking tray, making it as thick/thin as you prefer.

Let it bake until it solid enough to turn, then turn over and finish cooking the other side.

Add whatever topping you want-I usually go for chopped tomatoes and basil pureed, onions and peppers and some LF cheddar.

It really feels like you're eating pizza since the base stays nice and firm, so you can eat it with your hands if you want to

There are recipes for this on Google if you want more specifics such as amounts/exact times. I just improvise
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #21  
Ilene the Bean

I made a pizza crust out of lean ground chicken the ther day...

1lb lean ground chicken
1 or 2 eggs -- I can`t remember how many I put
1/3 c parmesan cheese
I mixed all this together, put a parchment paper on a pizza pie plate, spread the mixture on the plate to reach the edges, it was thinish... I baked that till it was done at 400F, removed from the oven then added the pizza trimmings, sauce, peppers, muchrooms, feta cheese, moza cheese, pepperoni...Then I put it back in the oven till the cheese was melted

Last edited by Ilene; 09-28-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #22  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Default Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta -- YUM

Just made this tonight -- so good! I put it through the sparkpeople recipe calculator to get the nutritional info.

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

Don't skip the dill -- it makes the dish!

Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe

4 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 266.8
Total Fat 10.5 g
Saturated Fat 4.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 234.3 mg
Sodium 483.2 mg
Potassium 444.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 32.9 g
Vitamin A 14.1 %
Vitamin B-12 33.4 %
Vitamin B-6 17.6 %
Vitamin C 24.2 %
Vitamin D 53.8 %
Vitamin E 9.0 %
Calcium 20.6 %
Copper 22.2 %
Folate 7.6 %
Iron 23.4 %
Magnesium 16.9 %
Manganese 10.6 %
Niacin 20.8 %
Pantothenic Acid 7.3 %
Phosphorus 39.1 %
Riboflavin 15.1 %
Selenium 82.3 %
Thiamin 7.7 %
Zinc 16.0 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #23  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Mmmm, the cauliflower and chicken-based pizzas quite appeal to me.

I like nutritional yeast and olive oil with a bit of roasted sesame oil. It makes a nice paté-like spread.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #24  

Height: 5'8

Just made this and oh my actual god, well nice!

http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/0...dessert-hummus
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 130/126.8/120

Height: 5'2"

The chicken adobo along with the cauliflower rice is a great idea! Definitely going to give this a try.
ImOnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #26  

I saw this in today's newspaper..looks amazing, will make it tonight.

Serves four
1 cucumber
25ml soy sauce
75ml sesame oil
10ml white wine vinegar
2 heads of broccoli cut into florets
2 tbsp olive oil
4 salmon fillets, skin removed, 120g each
˝ bunch of dill, chopped
Salt and pepper

Method

Leaving the skin on, cut the cucumber into 8cm long strips, discarding any seeds. Place in a bowl and add the soy sauce, sesame oil and white wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and allow to marinate.

Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the broccoli and cook for five minutes until just cooked. Drain and allow to cool.

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the salmon for two minutes on each side, depending on the thickness (up to a maximum of five minutes in total). Remove from the pan and allow to cool until it is cold enough to handle. Then break it into flakes.

In a large bowl, mix the salmon, broccoli and marinated cucumber, tipping in as much of the marinade as you like. Finish with the chopped dill, mix well and check the seasoning.

Serve on a large plate with spoons of horseradish cream or grated fresh horseradish. Serve immediately.

source; angela hartnett, guardian newspaper
Heleninedinburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm also a huge chicken adobo fan. I'm big on simplicity, so I don't pre-fry or do anything xtra. Adobo fans seem to love this "recipe." It's practically brainfree prep.

This is how I make it:

Take any amt of chicken, throw it in a large pot
You want enough liquid in your pan so that the chicken floats a bit, so:
1 part soy sauce to 3 parts seasoned rice vinegar (amts will depend on amt of chicken)
+ white wine or broth to extend
+pickling spices, handful
Cook on med/low for 1-2 hrs, ignore until chicken starts to separate. Serve over rice.

Notes: We use thighs. Generally no more than 1 cp of extending liquid bcause you don't want the vinegar/soy taste to dilute too much. I prefer wine. Let your guests pick out the pickling spices or, pick out the chicken pieces and then pour your liquids through a strainer bfore, putting liquids and chicken together in bowl for serving. We like it over white or brown rice. It really is soooo easy and tastes like a first rate dish.

For a side it's awesome w/ pickled cucumbers (slice your cukes and pour rice vinegar over them, mint and chili peppers optional, refrigerate--the mint and hot spices are perfect w/ the chilled cukes). We also like our adobo accompanied by salad w/ tahini or miso or sesame dressing.
whiningawayxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #28  
super awesome nubie!

S/C/G: 188/168.6/160

Height: 6'1"

Faux Strawberry Ice Cream, 2 servings, 82 calories per serving:
I make this int he summer b/c Strawberries are so cheap - but spoil I slice them and freeze them flat in 5oz bags. Once frozen....

5oz (140g) -ish Strawberry (or any berries) FROZEN
6oz (168g) Mountain High Low Fat Yogurt (with the water drained off... b/c it's gross!)
1oz (30ml) 2% Milk (or fat free... whatever)
Splenda to taste (1/4c granulated OR 6 packets should be enough)
1/2 ts of vanilla or other extract

Just put it all in a powerful blender and go to town! you can always add more/less fruit if you want it chunky, smooth, colder etc.
bexwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #29  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Talking "Better Than Reese's" Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs!

There are people in our family who need to avoid refined sugar (don't we all!), and these hit the spot when they need something sweet. Very easy to make, and natural, so they're good also when you're on a general low-carb diet. Bon appetit!

Makes twelve fat bombs. You will need a mini-muffin tin, and the little paper cups that go in it. Otherwise, it's too hard to get the fat bombs out of the little indentations.

One stick real butter, melted
One-half cup coconut oil, melted
One-half cup natural peanut or almond butter
Powdered or liquid stevia to taste (I use the finely powdered, which comes with tiny spoons. Usually two tiny spoons suits our taste, but everyone's different.)
Unsweetened cocoa powder, about two heaping tablespoons (do this to taste; this is an approximation - we like our fat bombs chocolatey!)

Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, or raspberries, or nuts, or 1/2 cup or so of heavy cream - the possibilities are endless! You could also obviously add more than one optional item.

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. I put the peanut butter into the melted butter and coconut oil, which makes it easier to blend, than add the other items.

This mixture can be spooned into the little paper cups that have been pre-placed into the muffin tin. Or, you can put the mixture into a big cup or pitcher with a spout, and carefully pour it into the cups. You can fill them as high as you want.

Place filled muffin tin in freezer. Fat bombs will harden quickly, and can be eaten after about 20 minutes. They freeze pretty solid. If you let them sit for a few minutes, if you want - they will be softened a little. You can store them in jars or whatever type of container you like in the freezer.

We actually double this recipe, and had to buy another muffin tin! They're great with coffee, or milk. Each fat bomb has, and this is purely a guess, around 200 to 250 calories.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #30  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Default Cocoa Cream Fat Bombs

Gotta quick write down the recipe for some cream cheese cocoa cream fat bombs made earlier this evening, before I forget it. Will come back later and edit. (Edit: Tasted fat bombs this morning. If you like cream cheese and cocoa, I think these are a good basic bomb, lol. They may benefit from a 1/2 teaspoon or so of vanilla. I'll see next time. Very creamy!)

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 or so tiny spoons powdered stevia
a few tablespoons unsweetened powdered cocoa
a few tablespoons coconut oil
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Melt coconut oil and butter slowly in pan. Pour into large bowl. Place cream cheese on top and cut into pieces with knife. Add stevia, cocoa, and heavy cream. Stir.

Use a mixer to whip mixture. I put a couple of pieces of plastic wrap over the bowl, and put the beaters between, so the "batter" wouldn't splatter all over the kitchen. Take care that the plastic wrap doesn't get caught up in the beaters.

Spoon "batter" into little muffin cups in a mini muffin tin. Freeze until solid. Enjoy!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 02-01-2015 at 02:25 PM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote