Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #31  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Wanted to let Ilene know that I got a very nice message from Suzanne. No answers but it was encouraging to know she was interested and would get in touch with me.

Congrats to Dagmar on 2 pounds down.

Allison, bless your heart. I know you must ache for your friend.

Hello to snowbunny and good luck.

April has not been kind here. Everything happening at once with stress and sickness in extended family, busyness, needs and interruption all around me. Ready for the rollercoaster to slow down now. I need to have time with my own thoughts a little if I expect to be successful with health habits - takes a lot of mental energy to stay on plan and you can't do it if you're stressed out!

I'm not going to admit to anything except a temporary glitch! Just a few pounds up - why that could be water weight!

When did the dancing brocolli happen? He's totally non-offensive, SusanB!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #32  
Ilene the Bean

Great to hear that Suzanne was in touch with you Whittlin... I agree he's a cutie
Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #33  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

T.S. Eliot did say "April is the cruellest month..." Sorry both of you are having a tough time of it, Whittlin and Allison. Perhaps once May rolls around and we hopefully get some nicer weather, things will be better.

Hiker, I know what you mean about the belly. Sometimes I swear it seems like my belly hasn't gotten any smaller at all. I know it has, but still, there are days...

SusanB, I hope you are enjoying Alabama (one of not that many states that I don't think I've ever even driven through).
Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Stress!!

I am also a "stress eater" Whittlin. Lots of it right now too. Just try to think that next month things will be better.

Being a "newbie" to this forum I'm sure I'm bringing up things you all already know but they are ongoing issues. I'm finding that, since I've gone "public" with the weight loss goal I think of the forum and having to post no weight loss (or even weight gain) whenever I'm tempted to overeat.

Last night was a good example. I was so stressed and tired from my cat's stuff that I sat in the kitchen, looking at the fridge and cupboards, and thinking of what I could eat from there. Picked the low fat sugar free yogurt instead of the peanuts! I'm glad I can finally "talk" to all of you about this, instead of eating!

Dagmar
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #35  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Oh my, philosophy! Look out, everyone!

I think there are two kinds of STRESS EATING (trying to make that look ominous and scary, lol!!!)

There's eating absentmindedly because you are stressed out.

and THEN......

There's stress because of crisis/interruption to the point your schedule and plans are ruined and you can no longer stick to them.

I think the second is WAY worse, and includes times of real helplessness - like when you are starving and have little choice but some drive-through window. Or when you are responsible for others who have sudden needs, and no time to make separate decisions for yourself.

When I think of how many times (this will be a sexist comment, brace yourselves) women are faced with stress related to nurturing/caregiving responsibilities, for instance, I think it's a wonder that women, particularly, can manage their weight at all!!!

So, congratulations to everyone who has success in controlling our eating! We are maaaaaaavelous!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thankfully, I have not had any stress eating for quite some time! I do still have periods of absentmindedly eating--usually when I get home from work and have a couple of hours to go before fixing dinner....a cracker here....a few cashews there.....maybe a bit of dried apple....it all adds up!

I do experience what might be a sort of stress eating. For example, I have to get on an airplane this afternoon and I don't like to be hungry. So I'm thinking to myself this morning, "what can I take to work to eat before I leave for the airport?" As I thought about it, I ate the sandwich that I had packed for lunch! Well, I guess I can consider that my breakfast....but now what about lunch? All that, and then I forgot to pack any snack for the plane (and you know I won't be able to find much of anything healthy at the airport!). Another thing that happens when I'm going to travel anywhere--my bladder goes into overdrive! I can go all night and morning without a drop of liquid, but I have to pee a dozen times before I leave! What's up with that?

Anyway, I'll be gone for a few days. I'm not taking my laptop with me cuz I know I'll be busy. I'll check in again by Monday. Everyone take care (and keep your fingers crossed for me--will this trip allow me to lose a couple of pounds??? I was up AGAIN this morning--now 142).
Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #37  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

ugh...sick today, tried to convince myself the last few days that my fatigue and mild cough were allergies. But this is not an allergy.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

I agree the weather up in VT has been absolutely horrible this month. We had about a foot of snow the other night and it's been freezing cold and windy... i've been dying to get outside and go for a walk but not in this weather! It's supposed to finally be mild this weekend, but with finals coming up and my college graduation I'm with you all trying to be aware of stress eating. I've been having hot tea in the evenings to keep from munching all night and also to warm me up!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #39  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Allison, you can buy bananas at almost any airport. It's been a lifesaver for me when I needed a snack. You can also sometimes find Cliff bars or other energy bars. Some airports even have Subways (lots of semi-healthy, low cal choices), many have McDonalds (fruit and yogurt parfaits). If you look, you can sometimes find healthy choices, especially now as more and more travelers are health conscious.

I'm also familiar with the bladder in overdrive. I always take an aisle seat because I know if I'm in the window, I'm going to have to get up 3 or 4 times to pee during the flight (and airplane bathrooms are some of the most disgusting). If I sit the aisle, I rarely have to get up to pee.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #40  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Oh Whittlin' I don't think that was sexist at all. As a matter of fact I attribute my weight gain to not being able to handle type 2 stress of babies (that and I like to eat).

Before kids I ate big portions of 100% healthy food and got a minimum amount of exercise so I was on the low end of healthy (or high depending on how you look at it high weight low health but still reasonably OK)

I used to be a vegan and probably could have gotten more protien but ate almost no white flour or sugar or any bad fat. And buckets of fruits and veggies tofu, beans and brown rice. I had a pretty decent diet back then

Then came the babies and I think I lived off of cheese and crackers. Not so healthy. Slowly things eeked into my diet like ice cream and pizza. Like the frog in the pot of boiling water slowly being boiled to death I didn't notice that I was bit by bit adopting not so great eating habits. But with little kids running around and then full time teaching I just got lost in all of the external pressure.

Luckily I have hopped out and now I am back to my good old healthy habits. But I totally related to your post about stress eating.

The worst is when you are travelling. Hello america is there anywhere we can find whole grains and vegetables in this vast country of ours. Well the supermarket but it requires some planning.

I would have never thought of myself as a stress eater but when you put it that way...

Hope you feel better ennay and hope all have better weather. This too shall pass.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #41  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

lol, it may be sexist, but it is TRUE. Women in general are notorious for putting themselves last.

Like me, today..I woke up with a fever. but dh had a meeting so I still got up & nursed ds, drove dd to school, took care of ds, picked dd up from preschool and then drove through McIck because making lunch was too much. How is eating McIck gonna make me healthier?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #42  

Talking OP for this weekend because . . .

We are finally getting a sunny and (reasonably for Canada) warm weekend. I'm going to pull out those scary summer clothes from storage and picture myself looking just fine in them by June.

For this evening I bought myself a big pre-made fruit salad and O magazine (both treats for me) to have instead of TV and junk.

Ennay hope you feel better soon and I love the term "McIck".

Dagmar
Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 148/144/130

Height: 5'5

Whittlin- good point on the stress eating. Totally true, now I often have no time to pack lunches for myself and I find it difficult to make healthy choices when all those pastaries are screaming at me from behind the shiny glass. And then there is the problem that my daughter turns her nose up to fruits and veggies. Which can cause a real problem in a vegetarian household.

Mudpie- Yay for the sunshine!! They say 19 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday!

ennay- I hope your feeling better.

Well, I lost another pound. I'm not sure how, but I think it has something to do with working in the infant room at the daycare, your constantly on the move.

Eating well for the last two days, although last night I cracked and had a small bowl of KD, talk about empty calories!

Making my goal for 135 by the end of the month, and I really need to concentrate on drinking more water. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I have no excuse to not go to the gym, at least on the weekends!

Take care all!
Dana
Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #44  

Sorry I've been MIA this week. Last Friday we left for Chicago and returned Monday night. Eating was horrendous there - I pretty much gave up on Sunday and knew that this week was another week once I got home. Things have been fine and OP since we got home.

However, I came down with bronchitis, was at the dr today and turns out I have an "acute" sinus infection too. Antibiotics, other scripts to treat the symptoms and diflucan, because, well, the antibiotics.

I'm totally miserable and am just sort of hanging in here! I should really move my ticker up to the weight on my home scale, then when I have a victory I can actually move it down instead of waiting to get back in there and weigh at the doctors. It's getting depressing to never get to move it!

Hugs, prayers and kudos to you all!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #45  

Unhappy hard to diet when feeling "yucky"

Hope you'll feel better soon yuppiegirlie. Dieting while sick can be hard - need to keep up your strangth and comfort yourself etc.etc. Maybe you should put the higher number on the ticker to motivate yourself psychologically.

Dagmar

Last edited by Mudpie; 04-19-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling error
Closed Thread