Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #1  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

Arrow Silly Popcorn Question

Hi All,

I have a very silly question, but it is eating me alive, and would love some feedback from anyone who knows.

Microwave popcorn.... The Act II brand (which I know is one of the worst) says that in 2 TBS unpopped, it has 160 calories. In one whole cup of popped, only 30 calories. How is this possible? Does popcorn magically shed it's fattening butter when popped? And why give nutritional information for kernels? Anyone eat the kernels, and then lay out and tan, or what? I looked at the healthier versions of microwave popcorn, and the nutritional information was similar to this full flavored version that I have. Am I missing something, or is popcorn an OK snack food? It seems "safe" enough, but sure doesn't taste that way.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

Gingercakes
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

How many popped kernels do you get per cup? Not very many. That's why the calories go down for the popped version. 2T unpopped yields how many cups popped? Maybe 6 or more. Does it mention the difference in the fat content between unpopped and popped? That is also a consideration.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I have a special popping bowl for my microwave that I use and add plain unpopped kernels in then just add some margarine or butter...I don't like the premade bagged stuff it's full of chemicals plus it really stinks up the house... I have this thing about smells ... I don't even cook garlic anymore or avoid it in foods, the smell makes me gag ... Weird, I know...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Ginger, just wanted to add that there are NO silly questions on this board, so just ask away!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #5  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

Hi Ilene,
Thanks for humoring the question, anyway. LOL

OK, do you know your calorie count for the popcorn that you make in the microwave?

Gingercakes
Old 02-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #6  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

Allison,

You may be on to something there..

It says, serving size 2 TBS unpopped (makes about 5 cups popped)
Servings per bag: about 2.5

So they're saying this bag makes 12.5 cups of popcorn? Does that sound right??

I should have measured, but the bowl is, ahem, empty.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

They're just trying to make a confusing concept seem less so, and making it more so in the process.

Say you take out your bag before all of the kernels pop. There is less popped corn (and theoretically, fewer calories) than the bag you left in until nearly every kernel popped. Also, if it is one of those extra butter varieties, a lot of grease (and calories) cling to the bag - which unless you lick or eat the bag- you're not going to ingest.

Which basically means, you have a couple of options. If you generally eat the whole bag and most of the kernels pop, just do the math for the servings per bag of popped corn. If there's alot of unpopped kernels, measure your popcorn after it is popped, but before you eat it, and calculate the calories by the popped amount.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

And by the whole bag, I didn't actually mean just the contents - I was just being facetious about eating the bag. But I did have a (thin, would you believe) college housemate who actually licked the inside of the microwave popcorn bag when she was done to get every last drop of salt - though she also salted fast food hamburgers!)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
...college housemate who actually licked the inside of the microwave popcorn bag when she was done to get every last drop of salt - though she also salted fast food hamburgers!)
Gross

Ginger -- According to Fitday:

1 cup popped popcorn has:
31 calories
0 fat
6g or carbs
1g protein

1/4 cup unpopped kernels has:
120 calories
1 fat
26g carbs
4g protein
This would make approximately 4 cups of popped popcorn....