how to spice up chickpea and kidney beans ?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • hey all i was wondering if anyone out there has any idea of what to put on my chickpeas and kidney beans for phase one...im just thinking eating them plain wont satisfy me...all suggestions are welcome !
  • Can you make them into chili by adding other ingredients? Yum!
  • yeah chili could be a possible idea, i love chili ! but would it be following the phase one plan im doing the extreme fat smash diet
  • I add cayenne pepper to a lot of things I eat ^^ Adds a nice amount of spiciness.
  • Add cumin to the chickpeas and use your immersion blender on them or run them thru one of those mini choppers. Yum, yum!
  • Quote: Add cumin to the chickpeas and use your immersion blender on them or run them thru on of those mini choppers. Yum, yum!
    hehe, u must like hummus, huh?
  • You bet! One of my favorite ways to eat chickpeas!
  • I like my chickpeas baked. Prehat oven to 375. Rinse chickpeas and season(I like chili powder) place on a cookie sheet with sprayed with Pam. Bake shaking the pan every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes check one to see if it is crunchy enough. It usually takes about 50-55 minutes to be crunchy. Let them cool of and eat for a snack.
  • Quote: I like my chickpeas baked. Prehat oven to 375. Rinse chickpeas and season(I like chili powder) place on a cookie sheet with sprayed with Pam. Bake shaking the pan every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes check one to see if it is crunchy enough. It usually takes about 50-55 minutes to be crunchy. Let them cool of and eat for a snack.
    that is really different i will have to try that , thanks!
  • Quote: I like my chickpeas baked. Prehat oven to 375. Rinse chickpeas and season(I like chili powder) place on a cookie sheet with sprayed with Pam. Bake shaking the pan every 15 minutes. After 45 minutes check one to see if it is crunchy enough. It usually takes about 50-55 minutes to be crunchy. Let them cool of and eat for a snack.
    OMG!! I've never heard of that. I am definately going to try that! Thanks a bunch for that GREAT tip!!
  • You can use both on a salad or use Smashermom's suggestion and place on greens to give a 'nutty' or 'crouton' effect.
  • i have been making a kind of stew with chickpeas from a long time. its been a super hit.  so... just soak chickpeas overnight in water. then put it in a crock pot or better pressure cooker. now add 1 tsp garlic paste,1 tsp ginger paste, 1onion chopped 2 tomatoes chopped, 2tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder,cayenne pepper according to taste and chopped fresh cilantro,& 1 tbsp tomato paste.now add 2 1/2 cups of water and cook till done. its like a stew/ soup and i even add carrots and green onions for an added veggie twist. by the way according to ayurveda turmeric has great antiseptic properties and along with cumin its great for the digestive system. cinnamon and cayenne pepper boosts the metabolism.
  • sorry just forgot to add its 1 cup chickpeas

I wanted to ask you if you use canned chickpeas for this, or dry chickpeas from the bag?
  • I have been making a chilli with kidney beans, tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper and lots of chilli powder. Tastes pretty good over a cup of brown rice.