Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #1  
Eating clean, eventually

Default 8/23 Start/Restart, all are welcome

Hi all. I'm starting FS Detox in earnest today after something of a flawed first attempt yesterday (carrot cake accident). If anyone would like to hop on and start clean with me please feel free.

Viva brown rice.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #2  

I'm in! I offically started today as well. So far so good. For breakfast I had a banana and 2 hard boiled egg whites. I also brought my lunch to work so I wouldn't have to settle for something that may or may not work with the plan. I usually have trouble right when I get home from work. I am so hungry that I don't think about what I'm eating and it almost always turns out to be something high carb. Unfortunately my husband can't live without his crackers and pretzels. My plan is to eat a healthy snack right before I leave work so I won't be so crazed when I get home
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3

The snack at work is a good idea. I've taken to carrying a baggie with about 10 almonds in my purse or car. That way if I'm starting to get hungry I can have a few almonds to tide me over and keep me from getting out of control.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/147/130

Height: 5'2

Thumbs up

i'm going to join you guys....i started Detox on FS yesteray so I have almost 2 days down I went through several cans of beans and wasted brown rice trying to make a rice and beans dish using Tony Chachere's Salt Free Alternative. Let me tell you guys it was disgusting So then I went back to the store and bought Mrs. Dash Table Blend and Southwest Chipotle Mix and they are delicious and salt free! So I made a chilli dish using Boca Ground Meat and beans and my Mom loved it.

This is very hard and I spent almost $50 dollars so far on groceries! I'm going to stick it out with you guys and I'm going to work out tonight plus sit in the sauna.

So how has it been going so far for you guys? I miss McDonald's sooo bad: Tonight I'm going to mix some brown rice with steamed veggies, peppers, and egg whites and make a stir fry using a little bit of low-sodium soy sauce. Between that and the chilli I hope I can make it to day 5 or 6

Last edited by raycho3; 08-23-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #5  

aahhh i'll join in...but im either starting up again saturday or sunday...i had to kinda break it off this past week since i was on vacation...amazing enough...i actually lost a pound ...my metabolism just had a field day with whatever food i put into my system...soooo after about a 35 pound loss...well 36 including the 1 pound...time to get back into it and lose the last 10-15 pounds i wanna drop...shouldnt be too difficult i hope...good luck to everyone!!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #6  
WillSmashFat

S/C/G: 204/162/150

Height: 5'2.5"

I started today (08-24). I tried EFS last week but I didn't follow it to the letter - I gained 1 lb. I liked the rice and beans on EFS but I didn't like the limited fruit and veggies - so I think original FS is a better fit. I bought some organic bean soups to have more options. Dinner tonight is a veggie burger and sweet potato fries - yum!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #7  
Eating clean, eventually

I started today too (after messing up the last two days). Had some oatmeal and egg whites and a decent amount of veggies. Thank you for reminding me about veggie burgers. Dr. Praeger's are fantastic and will be back in my freezer tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #8  
WillSmashFat

I know we are not supposed to weigh ourselves yet - but I am a chronic weigher. ANYWAY - the scale today showed -1.6lbs! This means I lost the 1 I gained last week trying EFS plus more. I WILL stay off the scale until Monday (I need to weigh in Monday for another diet group).

Menu today is:
B - berries and Van's (brown rice) waffles
S- peach
L- spinach salad, brown rice, kidney beans
s- brown rice cake, apple
D- black bean soup, roasted tomatoes, veggie burger, sweet potato
s- banana
Old 08-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #9  
Eating clean, eventually

Tasty looking menu WSF and yay for your loss! I weighed too and posted a little loss but it's attributable to the incredibly high levels of sodium I cut out of my diet. I don't think I can make it another eight straight days but at least I'm not weighing every time I walk past the scale.

Have a good day I believe it's oatmeal time.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #10  
WillSmashFat

Susanna - I don't think it hurts to weigh more often - but it depends on your reaction to the scale. If I see a loss, all is well. If I have gained, I get discouraged and have even quit. So far, this plan feels different and do-able. Now that I know that it is starting to work, I may be able to stay off the scale a few days at a time.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 AM   #11  
Eating clean, eventually

The crappy scale report can be good motivation to get up and try to shed some pounds, but I think working hard at this diet and not seeing results might send me right back into the fridge.

I've made it through two clean days so far and I am going to *try* to hold out to the end of detox before weighing again. Yikes.

So anything tasty planned for Sunday?

Last edited by Susanna Eats; 08-26-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Spelling is important, even late at night.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #12  
WillSmashFat

Susanna
My breakfast this a.m. was oatmeal pancakes (I made a double batch so tomorrow's bkfst is covered); lunch will be red pepper and tomato soup with spinach salad, snack is rice cakes and skim milk and dinner will be a veggie stir fry with brown rice.

Do you enjoy cooking? I do and I love a challenge so I am looking through my cookbooks and files for new recipes - lots of good Indian food fits the bill.
I also made baked peaches yesterday - very sweet and delicious. Baked apples would be another good option.

To stay off the scale today, I drank some water as soon as I woke up. That way I wasn't going to weigh myself with 1/2 lb of water in me LOL!

I am going shopping shortly to check the ingredients on brown rice noodles.If they are just brown rice I will try them with veggie "meat balls" and tomatoes and mushrooms. I am also going to make the oatmeal cookies (can't eat today, though because I already ate my oats this a.m.) and pizza today.
I also looked at the "fatsmashforum.com" site and found some great ideas.
It is great "smashing" with you!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #13  
Eating clean, eventually

WillSmash you are amaaaazing at this. No wonder you feel like this diet clicks for you; you're whipping up food that sounds better than things most restaurants serve.

I do like to cook but I concentrate on baking. When I start a diet I've found that keeping my food extremely simple helps keep me on track - the preparing/eating part of my day is considerably shorter and I obsess less about food. I will eventually branch out into more exciting things but my three ingredient dishes are serving well for now.

Have you checked out the Fat Smash recipe archive? It's creative, thorough and very interesting. I think it would be great for you.

NB I weighed this morning, mostly out of force of habit. Last night I was raring to know what I weighed, and this morning I stumbled out of bed directly to the bedroom scale. More will power will be applied in the future.

Enjoy your day and the awesome things you've got cooking.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #14  
WillSmashFat

Susanna
I think that sometimes I go overboard. I seem to twist things - e.g. when I was doing Atkins, I would eat a lot of sugar-free foods to stay low -carb - but these were not very healthy, full of chemicals, etc.

I am trying to be aware of this and so I am staying true to the principles of Fat Smash.
I have checked out the recipes and they look good - that it where the pizza is coming from. I LOVE this site - I wouldn't be this pumped about FS without it. I read some of the Phase 1 weight loss reports and I want to be able to report great results as well. I KNOW I can do it necause so many others have already done so well.
I picked up luscious fruit today - pineapple, strawberries, bananas, oranges and grapefruits. Living in the North, we won't get all of these wonderful choices in a few short months.
I also bought lots of veggies for the stir fry - red peppers, mushrooms, snow peas, green beans, bean sprouts, baby corn.
I found of interesting options at the grocery store - brown rice noodles (just brown rice, rice bran and water), brown rice crackers (baked - just brown rice, egg whites and water), low fat hummus, veggie "meatballs" and "meat loaves". I am going to limit the rice pasta to 1c. cooked in exchange for 1 c. of rice. Sorry to be so wordy. I'm off to figure out how to set up my profile to allow for PM's.

P.S. I just read your profile and saw that you are an Attorney -so am I - how cool is that! Of course, I am quite a bit older than you!

Last edited by willsmashfat; 08-26-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #15  
Eating clean, eventually

WillSmash being an attorney is what made me so pudgy! Cookies for breakfast and every junk food imaginable during the bar, and then a year of stress eating during and after work to numb the fear of being a new and entirely unprepared attorney... it has really added up.

I am very pleased with this site - I have been a hardcore lurker for a long time now but posting every day is really keeping me on track.

I nearly ate clean today but had so much diet soda.

The brown rice noodles sound wonderful. After years bouncing in and out of Atkins, the idea of a diet that lets me have pasta of any sort makes me so happy.

Since you're stocking up on fruit, remember it's fig season. They're high in cals and very perishable but they're so worth it especially since they're rather mushy and weird out of season and your detox coincides with their peak. They also bake beautifully.

PS what kind of law do you practice? I was in plaintiff's med mal litigation but would like to move into real estate or transactional work.

Last edited by Susanna Eats; 08-26-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: redundancy!