Phase I--PIZZA!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I haven't tried this--but it looks good! I got this from another source.

Pizza Phase 1

Crust:
    1 cup oatmeal
    1/2 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    1 egg white
    >1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, italian seasoning, garlic salt,
    to taste

Blend ingredients in blender/food processor until smooth. You may
    add a little water to loosen up ingredients. However, make sure to
    keep mixture like a dough-like consistency.

Bake in oven at 400 degrees until edges lift off from pan and the
    crust looks cracked.

Remove from oven and add:
    1 sliced tomato as a base (like pizza sauce)
    green peppers
    mushrooms
    pineapple
    hot peppers
    (you get the idea, any toppings that comply with phase 1)

Next top with "Veggie Shreds" Mozzarella Flavored Shredded Cheese.
    I found it at Marc's, but I'm sure other grocery stores have it. It
    is a soy based product so it's good for Phase 1!

Sprinkle some more basil, oregano, italian seasoning and garlic
    salt/powder.

Put back in oven until cheese is melted and is beginning to turn
    brown.

Remove from oven, cut into slices, and ENJOY!
  • This is good stuff! I had to add a bit more olive oil to get it to a "dough" consistency, and used lots of herbs and spices. The crust ended up being crunchy like a savory cracker. I topped mine with farmers' market tomatoes, basil, red bell pepper, mushrooms and a few olives (on my side only) with the veggie cheese, then toasted it until the cheese started to turn golden. I can't say this was exactly like a pizza, but it was definitely pizza-like and quite satisfying. I'll be making this again! Thanks for posting the recipe.
  • Something I probably ought to add, though, is that I pressed the dough out flat to a little less than 1/4 inch thickness and baked the crust for a long time (that wasn't indicated in the original recipe) - I'd say at least 1/2 an hour. The corners were nearly nut brown when I took it out of the oven (you could snap off an edge like a cracker), and I could hold the crust up without it sagging. I am not sure exactly how long I baked it, since I kept giving it another 8 minutes and then would poke it in the middle until it didn't really "give." After I put the toppings and cheese on I baked the whole thing another 10 minutes or so until the cheese turned golden.

It seemed to me that if the crust wasn't baked well it would be a little mushy. Also, I blended dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, a little salt, and crushed red pepper into the crust to give it more flavor.
  • pizza yes
    we are trying this pizza recipie so we will let you know
  • Tried the pizza...it was very feeling and not too bad. I don't like tomatoes so I used tomato sauce...the no salt added, all natural kind. I topped mine with black olives and onions and used the soy cheese. I could eat it again definately.
  • I made this yesterday because my family ordered pizza for dinner. It was sooooo good. The thought of soy cheese grossed me out but it was delish. I mixed the fresh tomatoes with some of Amy's tomatoe soup (i get it from the organic section of wegmans) to make a more sauce-like base and it was awesome. I will definately be making this again.
  • Yum!
    I made this tonight and it was REALLY good. It totally hit my craving for pizza! Whoever came up with the recipe is very creative!!
  • newbie..
    hey guys i am doing the fat smash diet i am on p1 day 7 i am going to try pizza tonight...ill let you know how it comes....i have a question can we have decaf coffee on phase 1?
  • Sooo good!
    I must say I was completely impressed with this recipe. I am on Day 3 of the detox and found myself bored, which can only get me into trouble! It was delish, I topped with an all-natural tomato sauce, tomatoes, zuchinni, green peppers, onions, and the vegan cheese. Although I am confused, can we not have the vegan cheese in detox?
  • This pizza was absolutely amazing! I'm even making it again today. The crust really could be made into a healthy cracker, I would think....once we're able to eat cheese again, that is...I think using the tomatoes vs. sauce is the better way to go...I think the sauce might make the crust mushy. I layered the tomatoes and brushed on freshed minced garlic and olive oil. Then put on the other layers of goodies...banana peppers are awesome on it as well. Who would have thought that oatmeal and beans would make such an amazing crust!!! Thank you whoever thought of this!!! I'm losing a pound a day on the detox!!!! (Day # 5)

Liz
  • I made this the other night and it was incredible. My 3 year old loved it too!
  • I am eating this right now, it's really good.

I put garlic salt in the crust, and used tomato paste, mushrooms and soy cheese. It's hard to gauge the cooking time, but it took 20-25 minutes for the crust. Did anyone have a problem with the pizza sticking? Did you use PAM or anything? I didn't cuz it wasn't in the recipe...and it wasn't too bad, but it did stick a little.
  • Hey MaryEllen.

I did the pizza last night too! IT WAS FANTASTIC. Feels like I am cheating (but any change is always good, even if it is a slight cheat).

I made the crust the two days ago and it was too much like bread, so I ate it as a foccacia w/a veggie burger.

Last night I was determined. I made the crust (used all the above seasonings including garlic salt in and onion powder IN the crust) I sprayed with Pam (which turned a little dark around the sides and cooked it at 400.

Then I started to get hungry, so I put the oven on broil. I took it out when the sides got browned. They didn't rise for me.

Lastly, i topped with tomato sauce, mushroom, spinach, and tomatoes.

I ate it and was SOOOO full and satisfied. I told everyone.

The problem I have is measuring how much of this I should eat! I ate the whole thing. I am not sure how much one cup of uncooked oatmeal equals cooked.

But, I did cut out my brown rice allowances to eat this, so I guess it balances. Please share your thoughts.
  • When you think about it all of the ingredients are in proportion to what's allowed in the diet per day so I had no qualms about eating the whole thing.

I didn't think to put spinach on it, that's a good idea.
  • It is delicious!

I am also making pre-made dough. Baked and stored them.

I made them today. Much smaller half and half can be eaten w/a veggie burger or with a real burger once we get meat back.

Very tasty!