Old 08-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #241  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

August 21

2 Timothy 2:21
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Gary couldn't believe what he was hearing. He hadn't been se-lected for the mission because he was just a few pounds overweight. Harrison was trimmer, but that didn't mean he was any better as a pilot. How could they turn him down because of a few pounds? Often being fit is determined by how trim and slim we are. It may not be fair, but it shows the value that is put on keeping in shape. God wants us to be in shape so we can enjoy this life we have been given to the fullest. He intends that we should always be ready to experience all that life has to offer. We can only do that when we take proper care of ourselves.

Today's thought: I am making myself fit for life!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #242  
Trying to live below 200

August 22

Titus 3:4-5
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.

It was a miraculous metamorphosis. Darleen had lost one hundred pounds. Though everyone encouraged her as much as possible, no one really believed she could do it. The proof was before their eyes: Darleen looked great. Someone asked her how she had done it, and she told them that a crisis in her life had made her realize she didn't just need to lose weight, she needed to be saved from her own body. She fell in her kitchen and had not been able to get up again. Through her pain and frustration, she believed she was being taught a valuable lesson. She thanked God that He had gotten through to her before it was too late.

Today's thought: Save me from being a prisoner to obesity!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:18 AM   #243  
Trying to live below 200

August 23

Romans 8:35-37
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

Christ makes us conquerors. He offers us unimaginable power through the Holy Spirit. Nothing can separate us from that love and power. That power enabled Jesus Christ to conquer death. It allowed the apostle Paul to conquer his afflictions. It allowed Peter to overcome his doubts and fears. If the Holy Spirit could do that for those great men, then why shouldn't we be able to believe that the Spirit will help us lose weight? Indeed, we can even conquer obesity through the divine power of God. Nothing can stop us from achieving our goal, because the power of God is with us.

Today's thought: I will burn up calories in the fire of the Holy Spirit!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #244  
Trying to live below 200

August 24

Philemon 1:7
For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.

Phil had a lousy self-image. He felt unwanted and unloved. He looked at himself in the mirror and saw an enormous slob. No one could love that. Dieting didn't even make sense. It was useless. Nothing would ever change. Poor Phil honestly believed he was unloved. He had no reason to change because he saw no hope for his future. How sad that Phil didn't know the love of God. We can proceed with our diets knowing that we are loved and that we are lovable. Just knowing that makes it all worthwhile. We draw strength from the comfort that comes from being loved. That strength ensures that we can lose the weight we want to lose.

Today's thought: Special people can do anything they set their mind to, and I am a special person!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #245  
Trying to live below 200

August 25

Luke 6:37
'Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.'

Kelly was unbearable. She had lost thirty pounds with relative ease, so she ridiculed anyone who couldn't do it as easily as she had. Kelly wasn't being fair. Every person is different. It didn't mean that others weren't as committed or as dedicated as Kelly had been. It was frustrating to try so hard and then have Kelly make fun of you for it. Why couldn't she have a little compassion? After all, she had been obese once! After losing weight, we should be more compassionate than anyone else. It is important to remember how hard losing weight really is. We have a wonderful opportunity to help others when we keep in mind what we've come through.

Today's thought: I hope I can lose my weight without losing my sensitivity toward others!
Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #246  
Trying to live below 200

August 26

2 Timothy 4:18
And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Wes looked at the sign on the refrigerator door: God is watching! What a thought! Everything he did was under God's watchful eye. A slight groan escaped his lips as he thought of the times he'd cheated through the week. He hoped it was worth it. Actually, Wes kind of liked the sign. It made him think, and once he got to thinking, his diet wasn't so bad. God had helped him avoid a lot of unnecessary snacks. There were worse things to have happen to you than to have God watching every move you made. Wes felt pretty confident. With God's help, he was really going to make it through this thing!

Today's thought: God's steering me clear of the fat traps!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #247  
Trying to live below 200

August 27

Ephesians 2:14-15
For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace.

As wrong as it was, Rachel had to admit that being thin helped her fit in. She really wasn't a different person now that she was thin, but people sure treated her that way. It was unbelievable that people were so biased against those who were fat. Rachel sighed a prayer of thankfulness to God that He had helped her lose weight. It was hard, being on the outside. Nobody likes being ostracized. She also prayed that God might make people see how unfair it was to judge others based on their appearance. If God could help Rachel lose weight, perhaps He could change the bigotry of some concern-ing obesity.

Today's thought: Fat or skinny, I'm the same person inside!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #248  
Trying to live below 200

August 28

Jeremiah 30:22
'And ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.'

The covenant that God made was quite simple: He would be God to a group of people who would accept Him and honor Him. God's promises are always simple and straight-forward. There are never strings attached. God will do everything He can to help us deal with this life. He wants to see His children happy and fulfilled. That is why He will help us when we need His comforting strength. Alone, we just don't have what it takes to make it. With God, however, there is no force on Earth great enough to keep us from our goal. Remember God, and truly He will remember you in time of need.

Today's thought: My willpower comes from the strongest power source around!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #249  
Trying to live below 200

August 29

Ephesians 3:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man.

Herm couldn't figure out why he wasn't losing weight. He knew he wasn't eating as much as he had before he retired. When he was on the road, he ate like a horse. Now that he was home around the house all the time, he ate a lot less. Something definitely wasn't right. Losing weight requires much more than just changing our eating habits. We need to change our whole outlook on things. Sometimes we need to cut back on food while increasing the amount of exercise we get. Other times we need to give up certain foods altogether. We need to evaluate deep inside how we live out our lives, and make adjustments necessary to succeed in losing weight.

Today's thought: Dieting doesn't happen on its own. It takes a conscious effort!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #250  
Trying to live below 200

August 30

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Another diet. Carla had tried so many times, and she had never come close to succeeding. She wasn't even sure why she was trying again. She knew it would be good for her to lose weight, but she felt beaten before she even began. What would make this time any different from the rest? What makes one attempt different from others is this: confidence. We really have to believe that we can do it. It should help us immensely to know that God believes in us. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He has equipped us with everything we need to succeed. All we have to do is learn to believe.

Today's thought: What I lack in confidence, I make up for with faith!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #251  
Trying to live below 200

August 31

2 Thessalonians 3:16
Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.

Ted felt the material rip the moment he bent over. Funny, that never happened a few years ago. Either his clothes were all shrinking or he was filling out a bit. There was just one thing to do about it: He was going to have to lose a few pounds. He'd done it before; he could do it again. A little willpower, a little patience, and a few prayers for strength. Ted was a man who knew his God and believed He would help out. He had never doubted Him, and God had never let him down. It was nice to feel so confident about something. Dieting was easy when you were positive that God would help you work things out.

Today's thought: I'm going to wear clothes I haven't fit into in years!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #252  
Trying to live below 200

September 1

2 Corinthians 3:5
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God.

Muriel knew she couldn't do it alone. She wasn't strong enough. Her friend Ann told her that one of her strengths was realizing she was weak. Too many of her friends tackled diets on their own and failed miserably. Well, Muriel wasn't going to make the same mistake. She wanted help from the outset. If we realize our weaknesses and limitations, then we are better able to cope with them. God will help us be honest with ourselves, so we can work to turn our weaknesses into strengths. Pray to God for that insight.

Today's thought: What I want to eat and what I need to eat are two different things!
Old 09-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #253  
Trying to live below 200

September 2

Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea,I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Ben was afraid to even try a diet. He never had much luck with things that required a lot of willpower on his part. He caved in much too easily. If only someone else would make his decisions for him. He had never been overweight when he lived at home and had his mother around to tell him what to eat and what not to eat. Ben would be the first one to admit that he had no self-control. Unfortunately, we all have to learn to discipline ourselves. God doesn't tell us what to do. He gives us complete freedom, but He will help us have the strength to make right decisions if we ask Him to. Include God, and He will make some wonderful things happen.

Today's thought: True power is the ability to say no!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #254  
Trying to live below 200

September 3

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God was such a big help when Gwen began her diet, but He didn't seem to care much anymore. Lately, Gwen's diet had become almost intolerable. She began to wonder if God knew what she was going through. She had prayed daily when she started her diet, and it had gotten so easy that she really didn't need to pray all the time. Then, it started getting harder. Why did God let that happen? Poor Gwen never realized that God hadn't changed, but she had. She included God all the time at first, then she left Him out more and more. God will help us just as much as we allow Him to. Often we are our own, and God's, worst enemy when we take our lives out of God's hands and put them into our own.

Today's thought: God and I are dieting together!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #255  
Trying to live below 200

September 4

Matthew 7:7-8
'Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.'

Barry never really believed that he'd lose weight. That was probably his problem. His heart was never in it. Whenever he got the least bit discouraged, he'd immediately give up. His friends tried to offer support, but Barry always came up with excuses why he should give up his diet. If we want to lose weight, we need to believe in ourselves. Self-doubt is a killer. If we lack faith in ourselves, then perhaps we can overcome it by the faith we have in God. God can fill us with a self-assurance that allows us to do almost anything we set our minds to. Push aside doubt. Be filled with the confidence of God.

Today's thought: With God's help, I'll knock off a few pounds!