Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #16  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

January 12

James 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Dieting involves a constant struggle between two intense desires: the desire to lose weight and the desire to indulge in the foods we love. This is not an easy struggle. We are double minded. God wants all of His children to learn to be single-minded. Once we decide that something is important, we should learn to stick to it. That's not easy to do on our own. For that reason, it is helpful for us to draw close to God. He will listen as we tell Him our troubles. The closer we are to God, the more He can help us through difficult times. If we ask Him to, God will help us become single-minded. He is as anxious as we are to see us attain our goal.

Today's thought: God will keep us on the right track!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #17  
Trying to live below 200

January 13

Proverbs 21:21
He that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life, righteousness, and honour.

Long-distance runners train themselves to think of the finish line. They visualize it just ahead. They say this keeps them from wanting to give up somewhere along the way. The reward of crossing the finish line is worth more than any pain or discomfort on the way. Dieters can learn from this. Instead of dwelling on how hungry we are, or how much we long for rich foods, we should continually think in terms of the rewards that await us at the end. Christians follow Christ with hope of a heavenly reward. Faith means we await something yet to come. Dieting means we live in the hope of trimming down and looking fit.

Today's thought: The reward of our diet is greater than the sacrifice!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #18  
Trying to live below 200

January 14

Psalm 11:7
For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

Don't let self-pity become part of your diet. It's very easy to feel sorry for yourself when you diet. First, you feel bad because you're overweight. Then you feel bad because of all you have to give up. You feel badly because other people don't seem to understand what you're going through. They get to eat as they please. All of these things can make dieters feel extremely sorry for themselves. Take heart. God knows what you're going through and He is de-lighted that you care so much about yourself. It is right and good to want to lose weight. Whenever we try to do what we think is right, God supports us completely. Replace self-pity with the blessed assurance that God is on your side.

Today's thought: Dieting is no reason for self-pity!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #19  
Trying to live below 200

January 15

2 Chronicles 16:9
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou has done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars.

My grandfather always said to me, 'You plant your field, you have to harvest it.' We made ourselves overweight, and we either have to live with it or work to change it. It is foolishness to overindulge, but that doesn't stop us from doing it. Anyone who is overweight knows well that we have to pay for our foolishness. True wisdom comes from God. When we decide that enough is enough, that it is time to lose weight, we can know God will help us, especially through the toughest times. All we need do is ask. God is looking for ways to help us, but He always waits until His help is invited. Don't hesitate. Call upon the Lord, and He will hear you.

Today's thought: If we turn from our foolishness, God will bless us!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #20  
Trying to live below 200

January 16

John 12:46
'I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.'

When we feel bad about ourselves, we tend to dwell under a dark cloud of depression. Sometimes we can't think of anything else but how much weight we've gained and how much we would like to lose. The good news is that darkness always is replaced by light. We can get out from under the burden of our weight. We can change for the better. Our Lord is a liberator. He frees us from anything that oppresses us. Obesity is oppressing, and God is ready and willing to free us. No darkness is too great for God to dispel. No matter how dark and dismal our physical condition may be, in the light of Christ, we can trim down.

Today's thought: We always look better in God's light than in our own darkness.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #21  
Trying to live below 200

January 17

Psalm 37:18
The Lord knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.

God honestly does know what we suffer through when we try to lose weight. He sympathizes with us in all our suffering, but He can also see the prize that awaits us. He knows the inheritance that is to come. Even when we have difficulty keeping our eyes focused on the goal, we can turn to God, who will strengthen us by His own strength. He always sees us as what we can potentially be: slim, trim, and healthy. It is important for us to try to see ourselves the same way God sees us. Remember, once weight is lost, the struggle is not completely over, but we need not ever return to obesity. The fruits of our labors, our inheritance, can last forever.

Today's thought: God wants to see us achieve our goal!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #22  
Trying to live below 200

January 18

1 Samuel 2:30
'. . . Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.'

A friend of mine played basketball in high school. He did everything he could to become the best player he could be. He worked with the coach every day. He respected the coach and did everything the coach told him, in order to please him. His hard work paid off. He starred on the team, and when he graduated, the coach told him he was the finest player he had ever had the privilege of coaching. Are we doing everything we can to please God by being the best people we can be? When we diet, we do God honor, and He will be faithful to honor us in return. If we ignore our bodies, the gift that God gave us, then we show contempt for God, and He will lose respect for us.

Today's thought: Today I will do everything I can to please God!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #23  
Trying to live below 200

January 19

1 Peter 2:21, 24
. . .because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps. . .Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness. . .

It is good for us to remember, as we sit feeling sorry for ourselves because we may not indulge in tasty pleasures, that our sacrifice is not really so great when we compare it to the many sacrifices Christ made. What we are doing is indeed a sacrifice, but for self rather than for others. Christ sacrificed for us in order that we might enjoy life to the fullest. Let us learn from the sacrifice of Christ and remember that He has given us the power to overcome any temptation that might present itself.

Today's thought: Christ has conquered temptation and will be with me!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #24  
Trying to live below 200

January 20

Romans 10:9
. . .if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Talk to Jesus. Seriously, He is waiting to listen to you and help you in your struggle to lose weight. Sometimes we wrestle with the urge to cheat on our diets until we are emotional wrecks. This happens most often when we are alone, with no one to talk to. Don't forget, Christ is always with you, and He is as close as prayer. Tell Him how difficult it is. Let Him know your struggle, and He will indeed comfort you. There is never a time in our lives when Jesus is not interested in everything that is happening to us. Call upon Him, confess Him as Lord, and you will be saved!

Today's thought: Jesus is as close as a prayer!
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #25  
Trying to live below 200

January 21

1 Corinthians 6:11
. . .but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

In many respects, dieting is like a washing away of fat. What greater joy is there than to step up on the scales and see the pointer a few marks to the left of where it was a couple days before. When we lose, we feel cleansed, and the cleansing is not just physical. Emotionally we begin to feel better about ourselves. Our guilt, our poor self-image, our pain all begin to wash away, too. This is the best washing of all. We are renewed both inside and out, and we become a fitting and holy temple; a righteous dwelling place for the Lord!

Today's thought: Each pound lost cleanses me physically, spiritually, and mentally.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #26  
Trying to live below 200

January 22

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Some people say that what we look like on the outside has nothing to do with what we're like on the inside. This is true to a degree, but how we see ourselves has very much to do with what we think of ourselves. If we see ourselves as overweight, we will tend to think less of ourselves. If we see ourselves as physically fit and trim, then we will feel better. One of the advantages of leaning on Christ when we diet is that He has the power to make the old pass away and to bring about a wonderful newness to our lives. No one wants our transformation more than Christ Jesus. He's there to help.

Today's thought: There's a brand new me on the way!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #27  
Trying to live below 200

January 23

2 Samuel 22:21
The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness: according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.

Don't expect God to make you thin. You have to do the hard part for yourself. Do know this, however: God will bless you beyond your wildest hopes if you will put forth your best effort and not give up. When we show Him that we really are serious about being better people, He is pleased beyond measure, and He will do all kinds of wonderful things to help us along. When we refuse to give into the temptations, to dirty our hands, then God will reward us and lift us up. All He asks is that we give it our very best effort. If we do that, we will succeed.

Today's thought: God is pleased by my best effort to lose weight.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #28  
Trying to live below 200

January 24

Psalm 85:13
Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.

Jesus fasted forty days in the wilderness, and He was sustained by His faith. The devil came to Him and tried to tempt Him with bread, but He refused to give in. This is a good image for us to remember when we are dieting. Often we feel we cannot go on when we miss just one meal. Christ proved to us that even after missing meals for forty days, there is still a source of strength other than food. That source is God, and His strength is available to everyone who will ask for it. Let us remember to follow in the steps of Jesus Christ and lean on our heavenly Father whenever we feel weak or tempted.

Today's thought: I am facing nothing that Christ did not face before me.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #29  
Trying to live below 200

January 25

Proverbs 16:3
Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts should be established.

A woman I know carried a pocket New Testament with her wherever she went. Often I would see her pull it out of her pocketbook and begin reading. One day I asked her why she seemed so intent on her reading whenever I saw her. She said, 'I read it whenever I get hungry. I'm trying to control my weight, so whenever I feel a physical hunger, I feed myself spiritually instead. It takes my mind off my hunger and puts it where it should be-on the Lord.' What a wonderful lesson. If we will find new ways to include God in our diet, He will turn our thoughts where they need to be!

Today's thought: There are ways to be fed (spiritually without getting fat!)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #30  
Trying to live below 200

January 26

Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Once we decide something is wrong, (being overweight, for exam-ple), then doing that thing is sinful. Some may say, 'Well, the Bible doesn't say obesity is a sin.' The Bible does tell us that anything we do that makes us less than God created us to be is a sin. To be pure in heart means to try to do everything we know we ought to do. We ought to regard our own bodies with respect. We ought to be an example for others to follow. We ought to do all we can to be all we can. When we stay true to what we know in our hearts is right, then we will be assured of a place with God in His kingdom.

Today's thought: I will do all I can to be all I am meant to be!